The Official NASCAR thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Orion_Prime48, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    I didnt think this was needed but since I realized theres more than 2 Nascar fans on this site im gonna make this thread so we can all discuss Nascar somewhere else without clogging the TF2 scheme thread :p 

first off who does everyone think will win the 09 Cup? me well im pullin for the 48 again :p 

2. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have high hopes for Bobby Labonte this year in the newly formed 96 making the chase would be awesome. I would setting for a win that would make my year. I think Edwards will win the cup this year he is getting it done on the mile and a half tracks. Gordon, Johnson, Kennseth, and Biffle will have multiple wins. I see Vickers getting his first this year and I see Stewart having a hard year in the 14. EGR or GER which ever it is will fall apart this year and GEM or Petty racing will be lucky to finish in the top 10. Well that is my 2 cents.

3. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Yeah Orion.....I thought it was just you and me as the only NASCAR fans on here. I was just about to PM you with a message that said "hey look at all the NASCAR fans."

WTS there's several things that I think are going to happen in 2009:

#48 Jimmie Johnson will again challenge for a 4th straight Cup and win another handful of races.

RCR will end up surprising alot of fans in 2009 especially with the addition of a 4th cup team (#33 Cheerios).

Kyle Busch will come back down to earth and continue the trend of his downward spiral in the 2nd half of 2008.

Dale Jr. (my driver) will hopefully win more than one race in 2009. Just for the record, i was a Junior fan before it was "cool" and i DESPISE the use of the word "NATION" when describing his fanbase. I also don't like when his fans are sterotyped into one big redneck, illiterate, trash-throwing, nation because none of that describes me.

EGR (formerly DEI) will slide further into failure. Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT one of these Junior fans that hates the former DEI or Teresa Earnhardt. As a matter of fact, i'd HATE to see the team that his great father started in 1980 go down in flames.

I though that merging with Ganassi was a great move for both teams but with the latest news that they laid off more workers and probably will only be able to field 2 teams ( the #1 for Truex Jr. and the #42 for JPM) probably means that they'll never recover. The #8 team probably will only race a handful of races because of lack of sponsorship.

One other sidenote: Why Oh Why does the Transformers promotion have to be on Kyle FREAKING Busch's car? I would've bought the die-cast if it wasn't for that.

4. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Hey Trailbreaker.....my wife and one of my good buddies are big fans of Bobby Labonte as well. My wife got to meet him because she used to work for MBNA and he was there for a promotion signing autographs for employees.

She's lucky because she also got to meet Tony Stewart at the same promotion. He's one of my favorite drivers.......she used to like him but, she doesn't like him too much anymore because when she met him, she said he was a rude jerk.

5. Orion_Prime48

News Credits:
    well Pepsi and Mt Dew held a promotion last time for TF1 no paint schemes then but never know it might happen this year on more than just Kyles car and depending on the pacakging look on the small car I MIGHT buy the car but its a huge put off with it being Kyle bush

and I figured with that schme being reveled there would only be alot of haters replying to it that Nascar sucks but damn if it didnt bring alot of fans out of the woodwork lol

6. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    yeah....it surpised me that so many NASCAR fans came out of the woodwork in that thread. Now if only they can find this thread and we can talk some serious NASCAR.

You remember when I asked you if you knew of any NASCAR sites? Well maybe we can get some good discussion going here in this thread instead.

I hope you're right about the Transformers promotion being on more than one car in 2009.

I was hoping it would be a Chevy (I'm a die-hard Chevy-man......Junior, harvick, and Steward are my drivers.) it only makes sense with the Chevy tie-in to the movie Transformers.

7. Orion_Prime48

News Credits:
    im hopin atleast 1 other Chevy driver gets the ROTF sponsorship but we'll just have to wait and see

and anyone know how to make a social group? we could make a NASCAR one too as im pretty sure this thread wotn last too long till the season starts

8. OVR_RUN

OVR_RUN Jazz Meister

News Credits:
    i know i was surprised at how many NASCAR fans are here! its great to find em too.

i dont know how this season will pan out with all the changes this year compared to last. now that a lot of the teams merged, like EGR (Earnhardt Ganassi Racing)and RPM (Richard Petty Motorsports which merged with Gillette Evernham) and different teams switching manufactures, this one will be a different season.

but i have high bnopes for team red bull and my driver Brian Vickers this year. and i also hope that BDR will still beable to make races with Dave Blaney still in the drivers seat.

9. Trailbreaker77

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got to meet Tony Stewart his rookie year I got him to sign a hat for me and he was really excited to be a part of Nascar. I am sure over the years he has turned into a real ass. I wonder what ever happened to the hat seems like forever ago. I have always been a Bobby fan, I started watching around 99 that is when he was winning everything. I also met Sterling Marlin I don't think he said three words the whole time I was there.

10. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Yeah....I second that. Is there any NASCAR fan out there who knows how to make a social group? I really don't want this thread to die.

Orion--I'm not sure if all of the NASCAR fans in the news thread saw your link to this thread.

11. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I used to watch alot of NASCAR back in the 80's and 90's and I was happy when they brought Dodge back in 2001. But since then, I started to lose interest when they pulled some races out of the Southeast, bringing in Toyota and adding entertainment before the start of the Daytona 500. I remember it was never like that.

I liked it better when it was known as the Winston Cup.

12. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    yeah I don't blame you for that......they never should've pulled races in places like Darlington and Rockingham.

I'm a die-hard Chevy-man myself and I was pissed at first when they let Toyota in NASCAR. Now, it doesn't matter as much to me anymore because the cars are all basically the same now anyway except for a few headlight decals.

That hasn't stopped my from sticking to Chevy though. I keep telling myself that Toyota employs Americans in their Kentucky plant......so that's alright with me.

13. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Nascar was cool in the late eighties and early nineties. Harry Gant was the man. And Junior Johnson Racing was awesome. That said. Kyle Busch should once again dominate the regular season, and should do alot better in the chase. Go Kyle!

14. OVR_RUN

OVR_RUN Jazz Meister

News Credits:
    i started watching NASCAR in the late 80's early 90's following my favorite driver Ricky Rudd. after being at Pheonix Raceway for the first craftsman Truck series in 95 to the 2000 Brickyard 400 (Sr.'s last 400) and back in 08 the April Texas race and then the crappy 400 last year 12 lapper >:s

15. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Agreed with ya on all those points (though the latest round of rumors has a full-time sponsorship for Aric Amirola in the 8 and the 41 used as the part-time team). I would go as far as to predict this as the 2009 finish:

1)Edwards
    2)Johnson
    3)Gordon
    4)Martin
    5)Harvick

Rounded out with (6)Burton, (7)Kenseth, (8)Kyle Busch, (9)Hamlin, (10)Dale Jr., (11)Montoya, (12)Ragan

I would love to see Mark Martin finally grab that brass ring, but I'll be thrilled if we just see more than a handful of winners this year.

Okay, I've posted my preseason picks, let's see everyone else's.

16. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Here's a link to what the new EGR #42 Chevrolet will look like:

Jayski's® NASCAR Silly Season Site - 2009 #42 Sprint Cup Paint Schemes

I'm really surpirsed that they didn't go with the typical Earnhardt "slanting forward' number design.

Also, Here's a pretty cool #88 Mountain Dew scheme that'll run at Darlington in 2009:

Jayski's® NASCAR Silly Season Site - 2009 #88 Sprint Cup Paint Schemes

AND Smoke's Burger King ride set to run two races in 2009:

http://www.jayski.com/schemes/2009/14cup.htm

17. Orion_Prime48

News Credits:
    ya know I completely forgot DEI and Ganassi merged when I saw that pic I didnt think anything of it lol

and that special Jr. scheme is freakin badass wish he would use that as the basic scheme instead of what he has now

also is it wrong that , that BK car made me hungry for a Stacker? lol

and new question who here thinks the front end of the new Fusion is ugly as hell?

18. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    I don't blame you for wanting some Burger King.....they're my second favorate fast food to Taco Bell.

You're right, I wish Junior would use Mountain Dew as his primary sponsor instead of AMP.......don't get me wrong though, I do like the AMP scheme. I just like the Mt. Dew one better.

Yeah, I agree that the fusion is one ugly racecar......but, so was the Taurus.

19. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have had several old time Nascar fans telling me from the 60's to the early 80's, they used to take a car and strip it and convert it to racing. They said that was real stock car racing back then.

I missed the days when Richard Petty drove a Plymouth.

20. Trailbreaker77

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes Fusion is ugly as hell, I can not believe Bobby is in a Ford now. Anyways my top 12 after the chase is done.
    1. 99 Edwards
    2. 17 Kennseth
    3. 88 Jr
    4. 29 Harvick
    5. 48 Johnson
    6. 96 Labonte (I wish)
    7. 6 Ragan
    8. 33 Bowyer
    9. 18 Busch
    10. 25 or is it 5 Martin
    11. 9 Kahne
    12. 11 Hamlin