The Official... Get A New Director Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by DEVILFISH, Jul 4, 2007.

1. DEVILFISH

DEVILFISH Member

At times I felt like I was watching a commercial. Michael Bay failed bringing out the story of Transformers to the screen. Get new script writers while they're at it. Not enough dialogue between Megatron and Starscream and the decepticons were pretty much empty shells. My biggest problem though were the camera shots of the battles, ametuer hour. I mean pull back so we can see andstop shaking the camera so much.

I am a huge fan of the designs and I thought the movie was just o.k. because it had so much more potential.

I am not a Michael Bay d**k rider and dude is not perfect. George Lucas, who created one of the greatest universes of all time, did'nt direct the best Starwars film ( Empire Strikes Back ).

Michael Bay is officially the Jim Carry of the directors world. ( over-director )

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm, I'm in 2 minds about this...I enjoyed the show and seriously wasn't expecting much in terms of plot because TFs is basically about giant robots beating the crap out of each other.

I can understand the lack of interaction between the Decepticons because there was a need to focus on the Autobots...so IMO, this short-coming is forgiving...but of course, I don't expect this to happen the sequel as the basic foundation has been laid.

One comment I strongly agree is the SHAKY camera effect! It took me repeating viewings for me to appreciate the special effects. I'm given the impression that the shakes was done on purpose the hide any limitations of the CGI...if that's the case, I felt that they (producers) should have been more confident as the effects were great. In fact, all my fave scenes involved the TFs interacting with each other.

Of course, some of the TF designs didn't help matters. I can understand the need for a more "realistic" update such as Prime but the Decepticons like Bonecrusher were so exo-skeleton like that I could hardly tell what was going in his fight against Optimus.

3. DEVILFISH

DEVILFISH Member

I felt that Michael Bay really didn't understand the scope of his own film. The shots were to close when Bumblebee and Barricade fought, but I attributed that to it being a night scene, but when they were in the city and the camera would ccut from on decepticon to another, it was hard to tell witch one it was. I don't buy into the producers wer'nt sure of the effects being good enough, they have ILM, no excuse for that. I think the movie executives stuck their greedy litle fingers in to much and they wanted this to be their Jar Jar Binks, meaning they just want to sell autobots. I knew this would happen because Michael Bay made a comment on how the Decepticons couldn't have a good color sceme because the movie execs' didn't want that.

4. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whoa, I didn't know that fact about the Decepticons' colour scheme fact...I guess this proves that the Autobots were indeed the "focus" and the Cons were grunts.

And yeah, I was pretty disappointed by the City fight...so disappointed that I made repeated viewings. It was only after repeated views that I could catch some of the action like Brawls' arm being cut/blown off etc.

5. matadormi5

matadormi5 Well-Known Member

I'm fine with Michael Bay's directing, actually I like it alot. The Decepticons needed more dialogue, but put that aside it was pretty good.

6. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    I'm all for a new director. Michael Bay has his ups and downs. His only up is the action scenes. Perfect. Yet, his downs are just about everything OTHER than action scenes. *coughcough*Pearl Harbor*cough*

7. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think Michael Bay did a good job, but I do agree that the Decepticons were sorely underused. Most of them just suddenly showed up at the end and Barricade (one of the coolest) just disappeared. It would have been nice to include a scene or two of Starscream plotting with the other 'Cons on what to do next and finding Megs and all. I loved the movie and will be seeing it multiple times this summer, but I won't lose too much sleep if Bay didn't come back for the sequel.

8. Swiftblade

Swiftblade Member

I thought this was really one of the best movies I have ever seen.

I think Bay did a good job, but I do agree where all the Decepticons need more screen time and a lot more lines.

I would think that many things had to be cut out of the movie, if Bay had not been told to cut down the movie it may have been hour longer^^ maybe.

9. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

I would agree. But that's not the fault of Michael Bay, is it? Isn't that something the writers and producers deal with?
    I would only hope that they up the interaction between the Decepticons a notch for the sequel.
    I enjoyed the movie too...a lot!!

10. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Double-post balonium.

11. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

What's "official" about this thread then?
    Good job it won't make an iota of difference to the actual choice of next director and box office response may play some part in it.

Stick with Bay - He's great! :thumb  :duel 

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  12. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Honestly, I hope Bay does come back for part 2. While the movie had it's fair share of sucky moments, overall it was completely badass. Decepticons will get their due in part 2 now that the Autobots are established. Only so much you can do in 2 hours and 15 minutes. Any more "characterisation" and there would be less smash.

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    instead of a new director, i suggest we get new fans instead.

its a movie abt toys. get over it.

p.s. if there was ever a director who was destined to direct toys, its michael bay.

14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I think Bay should return for the sequel, but I think they should also bring another director in to handle the non-action parts.

While Bay is good at the action, he completely sucks at the story elements. Is it unheard of to have two directors on a movie?

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

QFTFTW!

16. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    You know, there were some scenes, like BB's new look, and the desert convoy, that looked EXACTLY like car commercials. I mean, it was just really slick camera work, but the editing and look of those shots was kind of jarring like "and now a car ad in the middle of the movie." :p  Anyone else notice or think that? They way they ride through the mountains is totally out of a pickup truck ad or something

17. grock35

grock35 Hmmmm...

News Credits:
    i have no probs with bay...i think that all the stuff they cut t shorten the movie is what screwed out the decepticons...i'm a pro autobots fan...but i myself felt that the decepticons did not have enough screen time or setup

18. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    I think if they just included the full Barricade and Bonecrusher highway fight (assuming they even filmed it??), that wouldve made the package more "complete"

19. Jetblast

Jetblast Powered by Honda

There will always be stuff we would like to see more of, because we are familiar with the whole Transformers universe. I would have loved to see more Bumblebee and Barricade, but overall, I think the team did a fine job and wouldn't mind seeing them do the sequel.

20. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

I think its funny that with the number of people working on this movie. MB is the one all the hate goes too. Too many people working on it to throw it all at him. he is only one man.