The Official Final Crisis Thread!

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Darkravager, May 14, 2008.

1. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Well, this month it all begins. After two years of buildup, this had better be good.

Today I picked up the Final Crisis Sketchbook, and I gotta say, I have some mixed feelings about this story. On the one hand, it looks like it will actually be a pretty big event, in contrast to Infinite Crisis, which felt more like a mini-series. On the other hand, the Sketchbook largely consisted of sketches of some lame Japanese super-heroes that are largely flagrant rip offs of Marvel heroes and other DC heroes. I generally try to not be too negative about stuff too soon, but this really doesn't excite me.

I really hope Morrison doesn't screw this up.

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    In Morrison I trust.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Morrison probably created them so he could kill them.

4. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Morrison is doing this and the huge(as in how many issues...good god this is going to be more than twice as long as Resurrection of Ras Al Ghul!) RIP Batman storyline, so I have high hopes.

I heard Final Crisis starts off with Orion falling to earth. I hope Orion kicks some ass once he gets better(if he does).

5. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Just picked it up, read it.

Ok, I've been a good bit out of the loop with DC for a while (just not that big of a fan, tbqh), so there is quite a bit I really didn't understand, people I didn't really recognize, etc.

However, it certainly wasn't bad. I went in with rather low expectations, and I wasn't disappointed. Hell it was better than I thought it would be.

MAJOR Spoilers ahead, highlight to read.

Here's the facts:
    -Orion dies
    -Libra gets together a group of villains (I can recognize a couple, Luthor, I think Grodd, not really sure on any of the others)
    -Martian Manhunter is killed
    -Darkside is kidnapping children and like..making them evil or something like that (talking about Anti-Life).
    -Some person (Uotan) from the Multiverse Orrery is exiled
    -A group of people (like cavemen looking people) are shown in front of a destroyed statue of liberty, one of them saying that Metron gave one of them a weapon against the Gods, and that they need it now.

So yeah, that's what I can gather from it. Again, sorry if that seems a little, not all there. As I said I'm not big into DC beyond a couple of books (mostly Batman). Hopefully someone else can clear things up and explain things much better (and make it clearer to me as well).

6. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Excuse the lack of spoilers, but it's not huge enough of an issue to bother, as far as I'm concerned. The two men were Anthro and Kamandi, the first and last boys on Earth, respectively. An incredibly awesome idea for a team-up that I can't believe has never been done before.

Overall I liked the issue. It was a slow start, much slower than Infinite Crisis (of course, IC had the one-shot and lead-in minis, all FC had was Countdown, and it's not clear how much of that is actually relevant to, well... anything). Still, it's a promising start and the seeds are definitely there for some truly awesome stuff to happen later. The only thing I didn't like was the death of J'onn J'onnz and how minor it was. Just a couple of panels and we don't even get much immediate reaction. Still, Jones's artwork is gorgeous and Morrison has earned my trust that this will be a truly epic miniseries.

7. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Read it again, liked it more the second time around.

Was reading a topic over on GameFAQs' comics board (a good bit of explaination there), and someone said that Morrison mentioned that Countdown and Death of the New Gods weren't his ideas and aren't really that important to FC, so I'm kinda hoping that is the case (people were saying FC ignored a lot from them) since I didn't bother to read any of the lead-in stuff.

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Edit-Double post

9. Dilborg

Dilborg Well-Known Member

I can see Death of the New Gods having SOME influence on FC, though very little as it seems they've dealt with the hangover storyline regarding Orion.

As far as Countdown, it looks like all you really needed to read there was what happened with the Monitors.

FC #1 seemed a little ... odd. Like the story seemed to be all over the place. Might help to finish Salvation Run to find out how J'onn and the rest of the bad folk get back from there.

10. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Men, the hole "evils wins" kind of throws me off. I´m waiting until issue 7, if the heroes win.

11. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I'm less than impressed with the deaths considering they will be back eventually. I'll hold out final judgement until the end.

12. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not a bad start, but it did seem to be all over the place with a bunch of ideas just randomly thrown out there. I suspect it'll all tie together in the end, but it feels jumbled right now and not the epic start I was expecting from what's supposed to be the major event for the next little while. At least the New Gods are being used decently here; I've never liked those characters before, but they came across alright in this.

The only thing that struck me as odd was that the Justice League didn't seem concerned about the Guardians of the Universe sealing off the Earth. Unless I missed it, there wasn't even a mention of that being a problem in the brief JL meeting section.

I didn't care for that part much either, but it felt like the kind of thing that might be expanded on in a tie-in. Which is another thing that's worrying me: This is already feeling like it'll require picking up a lot of tie-ins to understand the core miniseries.

13. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I'm just waiting for legion of 3 worlds, I have high hopes for that both the writer and the artist haven't done anything wrong yet. I'll wait till I see more of final crisis before I judge. Honestly though I wish both companies would lay off the crossovers for a year or two.

14. Dilborg

So how is this going to affect other books?

We've got Batman R.I.P. running, the lead in to Blackest Night, Rogues Revenge, Trinity, the Dark Side Club (which had a hint of Darkseid) and a couple of other minis and story-arcs.

Or is Final Crisis going to run side by side all the other titles and not really impact immediately?

15. Switchblade

News Credits:
    Bingo.

FC's far more self-contained than the previous Crises.

16. Dilborg

hmmmm ... not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing.

It's events are suppose to shape the future of the DC Universe isn't it? Or am I thinking Secret Invasion?

17. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

This is what I don't like about the DC "events" I've read (and I've been reading for the last few) - the core title just shows a little tiny bit and doesn't give you a lot of information, or even a coherent story a lot of the time. You need the tie-ins to do that. Marvel mostly grew out of that some time ago (or did from my reading, anyway) and their event books are mostly self-contained with repercussions or the smaller events happening away from the main book, but you don't need to read them to enjoy (or get) the story.

I picked up #1 tonight, and through half of it, I had no idea what was going on. It just seemed to be a random selection of scenes with a lot of disjointedness. I wasn't even sure if one (what I'm guessing is a) major event actually happened or not until I read something in the soapbox page that confirmed it, simply because whether it happened/was illustrated in the book was really unclear.

I'll prolly pick the rest of this series up, but god, I hope to hell it improves because I hate giving up a book halfway through.

It's the only reason I finished collecting the last Crisis mess.

18. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I don't have too big of a budget for comics (even smaller since my budget for other things is small, and they take priority), so tie-ins have always been a bit of a problem for me, and that is one thing I like about a lot of Marvel's events (at least recently) is that you don't need to really bother with them to enjoy (or understand) what is happening. And sadly with Final Crisis, it seems that tie-ins are going to be a big part of it, which sucks IMO.

However, after a couple more rereads, I've got a nice grasp of what was going on in the issue and I'm not really lost, I have an idea of who is who, etc. And it is more enjoyable now than it was. That said, SI is still miles better (even taking into account just issue 1 vs issue 1).

19. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i don't think there's many tie-ins, just other short final crisis mini's...and as for marvel having their crossovers down, i completely disagree...a buddy of mine and i reread civil war, without any of the tie-ins, and we both realized that we only got a small portion of the story, and that it only truly made sense with the information we already knew from reading tie-ins or getting online...and that's why marvel started reprinting it as civil war chronicles....

and i'll also say, i've been reading alot of DC for the past few years, and this didn't make much sense to me either...lots of disjointedness...hopefully that changes with the 2nd issue...i still have hope...

20. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I thought this book was awful, big let down without anything interesting happening in it's pages.

I'm sticking around because I enjoy Morrison but I hope this picks up.