The Official Console Mods Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ShawnL7, Feb 14, 2008.

1. ShawnL7

ShawnL7 Old School Transfan

So, I was just wondering if anyone would like to share some of the console mods they have done. It doesnt particularly matter what system it is.

I have just recently done some extensive mods to my Xbox 360. After having an NME360 2.0 (to play back-ups of any 360 game) installed in my system I decided to replace the old boring case. I went with a clear case and installed a green LED talismoon whisper fan.

Not satisfied with it yet, I got an XCM Samsung drive cover, since the clear drive cover that came with the case left the inner drive bay open to dust. The I installed a core cooler and custom made the inner air ducts (so it would actually send cool air through the primary and secondary heat sinks). I slot drilled holes in the top of the case where the fan is located to provide a proper vacuum to allow the fan to work right and suck clean air into the system. I had to carefully grind down some of the structural supports on the bottom side of the upper clear case and customize the core coolers legs so that the fan would be flush with the top of the case. Without doing so, the fan is almost worthless, seing as how it would only blow hot air around inside the console with having a direct way of pulling fresh air in.
    Needless to say, it's quite a bit louder now - but the talismoon exhaust fans expell enough hot air to heat a small apartment. I also went with the chrome drive bezel instead of the clear one.

2. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    no mods done to my consoles besides installing the modchips :p 
    have about 95ish wii games and only 3 or 4 are decent to play :( 

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I never knew there was a 360 modchip. How does it perform/how much does it cost/does it kill Live?

4. ShawnL7

pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I'm too scared to do any mods to my consoles, but my cousin has a modded XBox(6th Gen) that plays back ups

6. ShawnL7

Yep, it's been my savior.
    Now.... I know that burning back-ups of games is considered undermining the gaming industry. But really... when their are months when 5 or 6 games come out that I want, at $60 a pop I simply cannot afford that.

To answer your question, No - it does not affect online gameplay at all. It has an onboard function that makes itself undetectable and tells Xbox Live that you are playing on a normal console.
    Here is the link"

No linking to this kind of stuff - 2005 staff

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  7. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    My PSP: Raised the face buttons, widened the speaker holes, replaced the analogue unit and the nub (twice), got a new faceplate and, of course, installed custom firmware.

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Does widening the speaker holes on the PSP help? I've had the problem of lying down with it and playing it propped on my chest, and that just kills the sound.

For mods, I've just got a modded original xbox, PS1, and PSP. No case mods, just firmware/mod chips.

9. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

That clear case is sweet, but I'm too scared to void my warranty. I've already had the RRD once, never know when it'll happen again.

10. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

only mod I've done is to my DS. hacked the firmware to allow for slot 2 booting, added a supercard lite, a boatload of homebrew and MP3s. Also used some epoxy to reinforce the hinge (thinking of bracing it with some metal), and I re skin it every few months. Currently have the phantom hourglass skin on there.

I wonder if widening the speaker holes would help it, as the sound on the lite is kind of weak compared to the original DS. Though I usually just use headphones.

11. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Then get another job or stop playing. Not only does it undermine the game industry and causes the price of games to go up but it is also illegal.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the only mod I ever did was to break off tabs in my SNES' cartridge bay so Super Famicom carts would fit in there.

13. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Did it work? Would they play?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm doing the same as Llama? That count?

14. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I've done that before. Stupid tabs. I've also ripped the metal bar out of my NES to accommodate a Game Action Replay (which has since died on me) and replaced the connector with a newer, much tighter one, which has resolved any problems with carts not making good contact. I installed a mod chip in my Saturn to play backups. I also sawed off the back of a Genesis Power Base Converter (plays Master System games) so it would fit on a model 2 Genesis.

I've been wishing there were companies that would make replacement cases for retro game consoles. It would be a great service for all the people tired of having nasty yellowed SNES cases sitting in their living rooms. A single custom case design could be used to give the system a sleeker look, replace yellowing plastic on SNES consoles, and provide Super Famicom consoles with a slot that will accept SNES games. Likewise we could have NES cases that would accommodate a Famicom Disk System, smaller ColecoVision cases, US/JP compatible N64 cases, etcetera.

It's a myth that copying games for personal use is driving up the price of console games. Yes, it's illegal in most countries, if it isn't a legitimate backup. Yes, it hurts the developers somewhat, if you would otherwise have bought the game. If you're copying your own game, or if you wouldn't (or couldn't) have bought the game in the first place, then there's no real effect. Furthermoer, consider the following: PC games are almost undoubtedly the most widely pirated games of any platform--and yet PC versions of a game are often up to twenty dollars cheaper than their console counterparts. Console game prices are rising because of the rising cost of development kits, and because the rising expectations of how games should look drastically raises the cost of development. That's also why 360 and PS3 games have risen to about $60, while Wii games have stayed around $50--the same general price console games have been for several generations. Large-scale commercial piracy probably does more damage to the industry, but again, game prices have stayed the same until development costs skyrocketed. You're mistaken if you think they'd go down if the pirates stopped.

15. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Brother in law did something i wanted to do with my PS2 but finances/crappy PC kept me from doing it.
    he put PS2 games on hard drives. 250gb hard drives.
    and labeled them. when he plays, he plugs in the right hard drive and With softwared loaded on the memory card, and using a PS1 disk, he boots PS2 games from the hard drive and barely uses the PS2 laser.
    games boot faster and smoother.
    what a concept.

16. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

oh yeah, they play just fine. i did the same thing to my snes to play japanese games back in high school. the only other modding i've really done is to replace the connector in my nes and remove the lockout chip so i don't have to deal with the screen blinking... and it makes for a lot less fighting with japanese carts there as well.

17. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I run homebrew on my DS lite. Does that count for anything?

18. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    Hmmm.

Sega Saturn
    + 21 pin, wireless modchip
    + 4MB Action Replay

PSX SCPH-1001 (RIP)
    + generic modchip

PSX SCPH-7501 (RIP)
    + Action Reply w. VCD player

PS2 v1
    + Fliptop
    + Swap Magic 2 DVD, CD(?)
    + GameShark (for PSX backups)

Xbox (Thompon Drive)
    + Matix Mod 1.0
    + 100GB WD 7200rpm HDD
    + Xbox Media Center dashboard w. all common applications (MAME, PCE, NES, SNES, etc)
    + Halo 2 LED jewel

Xbox (Samsung Drive)
    + softmod (MechAssault Exploit)
    + 250GB WD 7200rpm HDD
    + Xbox Media Center dashboard w. all common applications (MAME, PCE, NES, SNES, etc)

GameBoy Advance SP
    + Extreme Flash Advance 256MB

GameBoy Advance (Artic White)
    + GBA Linker 128MB

Nintendo DS Lite (white)
    + R4 Revolution w. 2GB Kingston (Japan) MicroSD
    + SuperCard Lite w. 1GM Kingston (Japan) MicroSD

Dreamcast
    + Pradus DiscJuggler 2.X : P

SegaCD, Turbo Duo, Panasonic 3DO
    + none needed. : D

I'm thinking about doing the Wiikey for the Wii, but due to forced system updates, I'm a bit paranoid of bricking my system.

I will not mod my 360. I'm on Xbox Live way too much and I really don't feel like getting banned.

19. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Tough. As someone you're stealing from, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for contributing to the continued endangerment of my titles getting canned due to bad sales and for keeping prices as high as they are by not purchasing the titles you do want but decided to be cheap and steal instead.

20. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    I like the idea of modding my machines. I'd be a liar if I say, "I only run backups of my originals".

To tell you the truth:
    1. I run true backups of my Sega CD discs. I'm very protective of Lunar 1 & 2, Silpheed, and Shining Force.

2. I don't do much with the console after it's been modded. It takes away from the gaming experience I guess. It kills my anticipation because it just seems too easy. I just like having the knowledge of knowing "how to".

3. I'm on my unmodded 360 with titles like Halo 3 and Blue Dragon. I had no issues forking out $60 for games that have entertained me (and still do) for months now.

Again, just all my personal experiences.