The Official Brutal Legend Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Noizemaze, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Since today is the first day of release for the demo (Pre-Order customers get it a week early) I figured it was time to discuss the next Tim Schafer masterpiece.

The obligatory features list provided by the suits in marketing:

* Action combat! Brütal Legend’s core gameplay is classic action slasher, but with a twist: ranged combat comes from your demon-slaying, electricity-creating guitar. Add that 1-2 punch to a guitar solo mechanic that can summon objects, buff your teammates, or cripple your opponents, and you have a deep, gratifying core gameplay combat loop that is fun for the hardcore and accessible for the casual.

* Streaming open world! Brütal Legend gives you the freedom to walk, drive, or fly anywhere in a fullystreaming open world whose art style is inspired by some of the most iconic and hilariously rad metal album covers ever created. Every vista in the beautiful universe of Brütal Legend looks like it was pulled from a Frank Frazetta painting.

* Heavy metal will never die! Brütal Legend is full of cameos from Gods of Metal like Lemmy Kilmister, Rob Halford, Lita Ford, and many, many others. It has a MASSIVE metal soundtrack from every era of metal music: 1970’s classic metal to 1980’s hair metal to the scarier cousins of 1990’s metal. And of course, Jack Black pays the ultimate homage to metal as Eddie the Roadie, continuing the theme from the work of his band, Tenacious D and his previous films like School of Rock and High Fidelity.

* Kill ‘em All! 4v4 “skirmish” multiplayer marries action combat with a strategic unit-control mechanic. As the leader of one of the factions in the game, the player will direct his armies in a Battle of the Bands where the trophy is survival. Brütal Legend’s multiplayer is online-enabled, so you can conquer your friends online via Xbox Live or Playstation Network*.

After playing the demo, not only were the controls solid, but Jack Black's lines and delivery were priceless. You basically play the same sequence that we saw in the extended game play footage, but we also get to see the opening cut scene where Eddie gets transported during a concert he is working at. I won't spoil it, but the interaction with the band he's working for is hilarious. True to the theme of the game, the demo is chalk full of heavy metal music. I just sat at the menu listening to songs. I can't wait to experience the entire thing next month.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  2. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Can't wait for the game. An action game centered around rock? Heaven!

Also can't wait for the demo. I guess it'll hit for everyone else next week?

3. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Yeah, demo rolls out to the public next week. People with Gamestop pre-orders got a code for the demo a week early.

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wasn't this like Duke Nukem Forever?
    I swear I watched Jack Black worship this game like 2 years ago at an awards show.

that cynicism aside, i really hope it is like God of War for us video game playing Metalheads

5. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Considering that it actually has a release date, not really. Heck, there are a lot of games that had been in development longer than Brutal Legend. Though I think you may be right about it being announced about 2 years ago, but we've only had info and screenshots for about a year I think.

6. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Looks like the Demo is available for all Gold Members now.

7. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Oh hell yes, definitely checking out the demo.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Played the demo.
    Loved the demo.
    Gonna get the game.

Man, the music took me for a trip down memory lane.
    Let it sit on the screen where you need to press start to begin. It cycled through about 5 songs of awesomeness before I heard a repeat.

I hope they can somehow work Fairies Wear Boots into the game. :thumb 

9. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    The music hypes you up so much.

Can't wait for the game.

10. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Just found out that Best Buy has a pre-order bonus. If you put $5 down you can walk out with a replica record cover that is used in the menu screen.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn man, I want this game soooo bad but it comes out the same day as Uncharted. Fok October... :(  Might be time to start cleaning out some games and trading some shit in.

12. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    Yep. Brutal Legend = Next game purchase....hopefully.

Atleast these games are coming out a month or so apart.

Though November could be problematic with Left 4 Dead 2 and Modern Warfare 2......hmmmmph.

13. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Just picked up the Best Buy pre-order bonus. I think I'm going to hang it somewhere.

Attached Files:

14. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    This game looks to be the best thing ever.

15. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Okay, I love the idea and apparently the gameplay, but I've heard some mentions of it here and there and I have to ask those who've played the demo-- is this game really vulgar? I don't mind over-the-top violence given the subject matter and a few curses here and there, but if the cursing is a constant thing and if the game's filled with a ton of innuendo that's a deal breaker for me.

16. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    I didn't notice anything gratuitous. The violence was cartoon-ish and the cursing was pretty sparse, at least in the demo. It's got a little of both, but it is done in a fun light-hearted style.

17. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    The only curses I heard in the demo were "Mother-fucking piece of shit","badass" and "fucking".

So I doubt it'll be constant.

Shafer knows his humor. He's not gonna litter his work with curses just to be funny, trust me.

18. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Alright then, that's a bit of a relief to hear. Tentatively on my "buy" list, then.

19. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    I ment to bring this up earlier, but how many little metal or rock references did everyone catch in the demo? For example, the metal demon that spawns after the set collapse in the intro is rocking the devil horn hands, they just aren't that noticable because he walks on them.

20. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't see how this game is getting so much attention looks like a last gen game to me.