The official Blackberry Storm thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DeathStorm, Dec 9, 2008.

1. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    I just got my Storm last night and was up until the wee hours of the morning playing with it. It's definately a learning experience, especially with the typing.

I am noticing that mine has a hard time distinguishing between portrait and landscape mode. Sometimes it doesn't switch at all and sometimes it will switch but with a bit of lag time.

I'm also wondering about the basic Verizon apps that I've had in the past. Things like the ringtone downloads and game downloads aren't available, from what I've seen so far.

The media is great - both the 3.2 mp camera and the sound. I can't wait to get some music on it. Of course one of the first things I did was to get the wallpaper that I've had on my last two phones, a close-up, cropped picture of the back of a G1 box (with Prime's head in the foreground). Once I figured out the placement to avoid getting the flash in the screen, it turned out nice. Looks like a wallpaper you'd download.

Overall, I'm going to enjoy this phone - I just need to get used to it. I wanted to start an official thread for the device so any other problems, issues, pros, and cons can be put out here for all to share.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This is a phone I am considering upgrading to. So I look forward to reading what actual users are experiencing.

3. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    I just found out from a friend that only Verizon's V-Cast music is available on the Blackberry. I assumed they would make their ringtones available but VCast is the only carrier app that will be on the device. My only option is to go through the Blackberry service for tones. I can always make my own with myxertones.com anyway.

One problem solved...

4. MisterE

MisterE What?

It looks real nice. I work at a phone retailer in the UK, but unfortunately Vodafone have it on exclusive so we're not gonna see it for a while. It'll be interesting to see if it is worthy to compete with the iPhone, because as far as I am aware nothing has yet equalled or surpassed the OS and touchscreen of that particular phone.

5. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I know the Storm has one major advantage. The simple ability to copy and paste.

6. IrOcAbMw

IrOcAbMw Member

i have the storm for two weeks now and i love it... to fix that lag in the phone you got to update the os its readily available by verizon

7. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    There's a software update (to .75) that needed to be done. Evidently it addresses the lagging portrait/landscape issue and some others.

I went to go download it and it told me I don't have enough memory - WTF? I don't have anything installed yet. I ended up doing a battery pull to get it to work.

I also discovered the the micro card won't read in my computer's card reader - even after it's been reformatted.

The Mac version of the Blackberry management software doesn't recognize my phone nor my memory card.

My appreciation of this device is quickly dwindling.

8. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    OK - so after a harrowing evening of getting my Storm updated, it's finally working as I had hoped. The update took about an hour to install but the portrait/landscape lag time and the general operations of the phone are greatly improved.

After the update installed it asked me if I wanted to format my media card - which I did again. After that, just plugging the phone into my laptop mounted it as a drive (I have a Macbook), complete with "already created" media folders - nice. I uploaded two full-length movies (ATHF Movie and Wedding Crashers) and almost 100 songs - the disc still isn't full. I was also able to copy photos and vids from my old phone's media card onto it as well so now I have all of my caller IDs. Now I just have to set the ringtones for everyone -which I found out can be entire songs! What an improvement over my old Verizon Samsung phone.

So now I'm back to being happy again :) 

Now if I can just get a case for it...everyone's sold out of them.

9. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Ive been watching this for awhile. I love verizon and hate ATT, which is why I never got an Iphone. Though I probably won't get this simply because the data plan is too expensive. Not that it's more expensive than other data plans, it's just I can't spend 100 bucks a month on a cell phone plan right now.

Oh well.

10. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    I consider myself lucky. Everyone except for a handful of family are on Verizon - so it's free for us to call each other. I'm lucky to go over 100 minutes of usage a month. So with the lowest cost talk plan, the data plan, insurance, and my discount for work (which is 17%) I pay around $70 a month.

To have free GPS (I tried Navigator on the way to work this morning, kinda glitchy but still cool), all these apps, and basically have a mini-ipod that's also a phone...it all seems worth it.

11. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    I found a new issue, although it may just be the way this BB works - I talked to another owner at work and he's been a BB owner forever, he said he's never seen ringtones work this way before.

There is the default ringtone that you can set, just like any other phone. However, this will not control your contact's ringtones. They have their own setting and if you want it to be what you want you have to go into each contact and update them individually.

I like to have unique ringers for my contacts anyway, so this isn't a big deal, but I think it's strange that the phone's default ringtone only affects those that aren't in your contact list.

12. Omega Supreme V

Omega Supreme V I protect those I care 4

what was you old samsung phone?

I have a Blackjack 1 and was considering an upgrade to this, the Omnia, Behold, Epix, or LG Secret...don't know which to which though. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see some UO's

13. MisterE

MisterE What?

As much as I wanted the Omnia, it was out of my price range per month, so I ended up getting the INNOV8. Considered the iPhone, but I eventually saw it as kinda pointless considering I have a phone and iPod already.

The Blackberry handsets have intrigued me, but I have never seen a reason to get one, for the simple fact that I don't need to send emails.

14. Omega Supreme V

how is that INNOV8, it intrigued me, but I haven't really seen much of it..

and anyone know a good mobile review site besides the one on CNET?

15. MisterE

MisterE What?

If you've ever used a Nokia N95, it's basically that, but in a different body, with an 8MP camera and Samsung-branded. I loved my old N95 so I'm very pleased with the INNOV8 so far. It runs Symbian so it's a stable software that it's running. Only complaint I have is the kind of short battery life, but honestly it's to be expected these days.

As for a review site, GSMArena is pretty good for reviews and up-to-date news.

16. DeathStorm

News Credits:

I had the Samsung SCH-740 (black). It's the one that opens like a normal flip phone but can also flip horizontally and have a full QWERTY keyboard.

17. Omega Supreme V

yeah, well, I know now that I HAVE to have a Smartphone or P.D.A. type, as I can't function without having those features haha. Though I don't know what it is, but the slider types keep on getting my attention ;-/

as for the Storm, I was wondering, how is the Clickable Keyboard? does it take much to get use to or as an iTouch User, would it be significantly okay to use?

18. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Working with numerious people *over a hundred lawfirms* with blackberries and having to support them. I can say I will -never- ever buy a blackberry. They should not have gotten as popular as they have.

One of the firms I support has switched over to Iphone for their smartphone. Guess how many calls I get from that? 0 while I get at least 10 blackberry calls a day from people who can't even turn the damn things off.

19. Omega Supreme V

I rarely turn my phone off, no point haha

what other things have you gotten from blackberry users?

20. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Emails refusing to come in, the fact everything has to go through a blackberry server. Just that the blackberrys need to be rebooted -alot-. Just over all a lot of problems almost daily.

Blackberrys got a hold on the market because at the time they where the only devices that could do things. But now there are much -much- better alternatives.