The Official Baseball Thread v5.0 (2010 Season)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Nov 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    The 2009 season just ended two days ago, but teams are already positioning themselves for the 2010 season.

79 players have already filed for free agency
    Lackey, Holliday and 77 others file for free agency - MLB - SI.com

The Red Sox acquire Jeremy Hermida from Florida

The White Sox acquire Mark Teahan from KC for Getz and Fields

Brewers trade Hardy to the Twins for Gomez

Abreu resigns with Angels for two years

D'Backs pick up Webb option, White Sox don't pick up option on Dye.

White Sox GM says Podsednik camp asking too much, not likely to return

Oh, and Tim Lincecum smokes pot.
    San Francisco Giants ace Tim Lincecum cited for marijuana possession - MLB - SI.com

Tune in and watch as the Yankees will no doubt buy another World Series by signing Matt Holliday, trading for Roy Halladay, and purchasing the Tampa Bay Rays!

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    well so far the Twins don't have any of their big names filing for free agency (not sure if any are eligible) and thats good as it isn't easy for a small market team like the Twins to hang on to top talent, team loyalty isn't what is used to be, and the trade for Hardy could work out nicely

3. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

If I were the GM of the A's, I'd do everything to get Lackey and just eat the salary. He'd make them instantaneous playoff contenders.

Aaahhh. It's so nice to think (and dream) about my team again.

4. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    The Twins just gave up on a 24 year old guy with huge potential, for a washed up SS.

Torii Hunter didn't even have a decent year with the Twins until he ws 26. I suspect this will turn out ot be the worst trade ever.

I can't believe they gave up on Gomez. In fact he turns 24 Dec 4.......

Now glancing at Hardy's numbers all I see is suck. He's a career .260 hitter who has never had more than 414 at bats in a year.

I sense that the Whitesox, someone Gomez owned, are laughing outloud right now.

If Gomez is an Allstar a couple years from now Bill Smith will look back on this as the beginning of the end.

5. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Manny stays with the Dodgers for '10. No big surprise there as it will be a contract year and he'll play like the Manny we know versus the one who sucked this season. Then again, he might still suck since he's off the juice. Management needs to figure out who owns the team and then get a 2nd baseman and some starting pitching.

6. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Still trying to figure out who's going to be on the Tribe's coaching staff. Apparently Tim Belcher has been hired as pitching coach and they're trying to get Sandy Alomar, Jr. back in an Indians uniform to be bench coach, but beyond that...

Then, even after they get the coaching staff all put together, who the hell is in our starting rotation? If Jake Westbrook is able to make it all the way back, I'd assume he's have to be considered our number one. But after him, who the hell do we have? Fausto Carmona has had some serious frickin' issues the past 2 seasons, though he seemed to be back to at least 'decent' towards the end of this season. David Huff pitched pretty well, but he was only a rookie... can he keep it up and improve? After that... well, we have arms but nobody I totally trust.

Then there's the bullpen. Holy Word, where to begin there...

Our position players seem to be okay for the most part. Just need to figure out if LaPorta's going to be in the outfield or first base, really. Everything else flows from that. We're set in CF and RF with Sizemore and Choo. SS is pretty rock solid with Cabrera. Whether you go with Valbuena or platoon him w/ Carrol 2B should be okay. I guess Peralta's okay at 3B, unless another option becomes available. And catcher should be fine, and Carlos Santana should be taking that over by mid-season...

*sigh*

They're still gonna suck again, aren't they?

7. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    sorry that has already happened "The Trade" aka the Vikings trading for Herschel Walker

see this link and yes its Wikipedia but its facts are accurate :
    Herschel Walker trade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

rated by sports illustrated as worst sports trade of all time even worst than the redsox selling Ruth to the Yankees

8. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Please, Coupons, go after Holliday and Lackey this offseason. Stop signing a few token players to appease the fans and try to build a championship team and end the drought. If not for the fact that I've been a fan since 88 this is a really tough team to root for given how inept the owners are and how good the other team from NY is. You have to be a real masochist to be a Mets fan.

9. Robimus

News Credits:

What sport is that from? Darts? :p 

If it doesn't happen in Hockey or Baseball it doesn't count:p 

10. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    ah hush you and go drink a fine Canadian beer ( or if your not of legal drinking age what ever youths from north of the border drink) its American Football and my point is even if the trade the Twins just made turns out to be a dud its no way near as bad as the Vikings giving the Cowboys what amounts to a pair of super bowl championships in the early 1990s for a player who turned out to be a mega dud and some draft picks that got us players of little use outside Jake Reed

anyway back on subject i am willing to take a wait and see on the Twins recent trade

11. blackconvoy_D01

blackconvoy_D01 Destronger

Ebay:
    I know this inst relevant but I have a hat that im looking to get rid of:

New York Mets
    New Era Cooperstown Ed. Shea Stadium commemorative edition hat
    Limited Ed. Rare
    MLB Lic #- DB637404112
    Size- 7 3/4
    $40.00
    Traditional Mets blue with orange symbol. Shea Staduim commemorative patch on back of hat with commemorative Shea Stadium logo under bill.

A nice hat for a hardcore Mets fan. PM and Ill send pics

12. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

As much as I love Pedro's defense he was mostly an out or double play. I'm hoping for Figgins.

13. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Rockies let go of / declared free agents / declined options:

- Yorvit Torrealba
    Good. He was always streaky, and while he performed well in the second half of the season, he lost all of his power and is probably one of the worst catchers on defense (he only threw out something like 5 attempted base stealers all season).

- Jason Giambi
    He's an AL DH, not a bench player in the NL. He belongs in Toronto.

- Jason Marquis
    He sucked it up in the second half, as he always does, and his price tag will be way too inflated due to the number of wins he picked up.

- Alan Embree
    Dude broke his leg and is 40 years old. Retirement?

They need to resign Beimel and Betancourt to keep the bullpen strong, and we'll be set. Jose Contreras may take a small deal and be a bullpen guy, which he was effective as, as his fastball velocity was strikingly high.

14. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

QFT

15. Tim Formas

News Credits:
    White Sox sign Andruw Jones to a one-year, $500K contract (with up to $1 million in Incentives) to serve as a back-up outfilelder.

Nice signing. Low cost, could potentially put up decent power numbers for a reserve at the cell.

16. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    Joe Mauer wins Al MVP in a landslide, the man earned it both at the plate and behind it

17. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Are the Dodgers still paying that bum? That guy gets booed more in LA than Paul Pierce and Kevin McHale.

18. Robimus

News Credits:
    Congrats to the AL MVP.

I'm finding I'm kinda jaded about these awards now days. Since there always seems to be a Twin taking home major awards in recent years I admit that I find myself not caring if they win these individual awatds or not.

I'm still unfortunalty focused on the Twins downgrades in the infield, starting pitching and batting order.

Still lots of off season left though so I'm hoping for at least a couple decent moves. Maybe bringing back Pavano for a start.

19. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    SO happy for Pujols! :rock  Now if my Cardinals would just DO something for real this off-season. *sigh*

20. Tim Formas

News Credits:
    Unless the Blue Jays lower their asking price, I doubt Roy Halladay is going anywhere before free agency. Supposedly, the White Sox made a pitch of at least John Danks and two major-league ready prospects in Jordan Danks and Daniel Hudson.

With the Yankees looking like they're trading away their top tier prospects for Granderson, the list of teams with flexibility to trade is getting smaller and smaller.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.