The Official Baseball Thread v4.0 (2009)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kickback, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

Mets lost out on Lowe (Which is fine by me). They are prob gonna make a strong push for Ollie now which I'm still on the fence about. This kid was shaky in his contract year so what is going to convince me that he'll be a better pitcher with a new contract?

The problem with all this is that there really is no other options for a starting pitcher out there right now. Pettite is well past his prime and Pay-Dro can't stay healthy for an entire season. So Ollie it is.

2. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Ah, another Mets fan. Nice. :) 

IMO Mets shouldn't go after Ollie unless he can accept less than what Lowe's got, cuz I don't think he's a better pitcher than Lowe. Younger and higher ceiling yes, but he can't string together 4 quality starts to save his life. That guy's about as inconsistent with his stuff as one can get. I rather have Mets go after Sheets and Wolf, then go after the elite class of 2010 that includes Webb, Haren, and Harden.

3. Baccala1976

All three of those guys are going to want bu-ku bucks, especially Webb. I agree to sign Ollie at a lower price than Lowe got (IMO the Braves over spent for him anyway, but I guess they had to since they lost Smoltz), but you know Boras is gonna get every dollar possible for him.

Haren and Harden are more logical choices for next season but hopefully the Mets won't need them after this year.

4. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I'd find it hard to believe that the Mets would go after Webb. He's a $100M+ guy, for sure.

5. Baccala1976

Oh they def have the cash for him. Signing Johan last year is proff of that, plus they have a nice new stadium to showcase. I just don't think they will because most of the time they look for cheaper alternatives.

6. Predaking

That's what so frustrating about being a Mets fan. Your team is flushed with money but all the owners can think about is how to save money and getting guys on the cheap. It's good to be fiscally responsible BUT you need to put the best team on the field to have the best chance at a title, and every year Mets have fallen short of that goal in the pursue of more profit (and less cost).

Not saying I'll ever be a Yankee fan, but I do envy their fans who never have to complain about their owners being cheap. Mets also belong to the biggest sports market but they spend like Pirates more often than not.

7. Baccala1976

I’ll agree with you to some extent about the Yankees and Steinbrenner’s theory of free spending. It is nice to have ownership go out and more often than not get the best players available, but sometimes having all the best players doesn’t necessarily mean the best team.

Lets take A-Rod for example, he is recognized as probably being the best position player in Baseball today yet I feel he will never win a World Series. Why? Because he has the 24 + 1 attitude. At one point he was on a team with Ken Griffey Jr., Edgar Martinez, Jay Buhner, and Randy Johnson and all were in their prime. How many rings do they have as a team? None.

The Yankees are great at getting the best players available and what they end up with is a fantasy team. But that is exactly what they are getting, a fantasy.

Being a Mets fan, I HAVE to hate the Yankees, but I’ll always respect their history.

8. TheNotoriousROB

TheNotoriousROB Well-Known Member

Last year the Mets had problems with finishing games. Ok, they got K-Rod for that, but how are the Mets going to get to K-Rod?

I've always been a Yankee fan. People forget the late 80's and earyl 90's when our pitching staff had Andy Hawkins and Dave LaPoint.

9. Baccala1976

Remember they also picked up Putz, so he'll be a good setup man. I do remember the Yankees of the late 80's and early 90's. LOL, those were some interesting seasons.

10. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    I'd be shocked if the Twins sign Crede, but apparently their interested.................

11. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Veteran

News Credits:
    Good move if he can stay healthy for once. History has proven thus far that he can't. I would have loved for him to stay healthy and stick around the White Sox, but he just became too unreliable with that bad back.

12. Tenebrouser

The most interesting FA out there to me is Oliver Perez. I think Boras is going to get burned for once and I can't wait to see it.

13. Predaking

I hope Omar won't get Ollie. Use the money and get Sheets and Wolf and the rotation's set. Then flip a finger to Boras.

14. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    The Rockies actually kept Huston Street (so far anyways) and picked up Jason Marquis from the Cubs. If Jeff Francis and Aaron Cook can stay healthy, if Ubaldo Jiminez can continue to be the 1.34 ERA in the last two months of last season for the whole season, the Rockies pitching might actually have a shot with Manny Corpas and Huston Street at the end of the night.

Who needs Brian Fuentes? :) 

15. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Volcanicus Torso

News Credits:
    Somewhere Wearing The Dinobots As Gloves & Boots
    First off, Let me say that I LOVE baseball and I'm a DIE-HARD Chicago White Sox fan.

Now to Kickback's questions:

#1.) I don't think the Yankees bought a championship. As a matter of fact they haven't learned that you can't buy a championship like you could in the past.

In the last 8 years, the teams to win the World Series have been low/mid-payroll teams with the exception of ONE.....the Boston Red Sawx. (why did I type the word "Sox" like that?......It's how White Sox fans refer to the Boston baseball club. It's used to imitate the Boston accent and to reaffirm the fact that the White Sox are the true and original "Sox".)

As a matter of fact, even the teams to LOSE the World Series in the last 8 years have been low/mid-payroll teams.

Why did it work out this way? Because economics in baseball have changed to the point where buying a championship isn't as easy anymore. Teams have to be smart and build good solid, fundamental teams through trades, the minors, AND signings.

#2.) i think JC ROmero got shafted but, I haven't heard the entire story so don't quote me.

#3.) No no one cares about Giambi.....as a matter of fact the cheating 'roider should have to give his 2000 MVP award to it's rightful owner Frank Thomas. Dan patrick should also have to publicly apologize to Thomas for starting th hype-machine for Giambi that year.

#4.) Tampa bay is absolutely NOT a fluke.....that team is no joke. They are loaded with a good young core of future all-stars for years to come. The also took the right path and went to the World Series the same way most teams have been the last 8 years. They built a good, young, fundamentally sound, team which was fiscally responsible.

#5.) I think the Rockies are an odd story.....on paper they had a good young team but, fell from grace so quickly. Who knows if they'll be up or down in 2009.

16. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Looks like the Mets are about to offer Manny a 2 year $45 million contract. Let's see if the Dodgers counter..

17. Predaking

Awesome news! Where do you see it cuz I want proof! :) 

Mets really can use Manny and I hope they'll work out a deal where both sides can be happy. Mets may not be able to offer him more than 3 year deal but they can increase the amount per year.

18. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I heard it on the MLB network... Or maybe the radio. I was cleaning so I didn't pay too much attention.

19. Tenebrouser

The Mets aren't touching Manny.

20. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    I hope your right. :lol