The Official 2010-2011 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FreshDebesh, Jun 22, 2010.

1. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Ok guys and gals, with the '09-'10 season finally over and the Lakers repeating as champions, let's get moving into a hectic offseason! Talk draft and free agent signings and trades before the '10-'11 starts!

2. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch TFW2005 Supporter

All I have to say is this, I personally think the “King without a crown” is being way too over hyped for someone who hasn’t been successful in the post-season, EVER. Just ask Steve Nash what that does for your rep. But the one thing that pisses me off more than anything else is all this talk about a superstar summit for guys like Wade, Bosh and LeChoke to discuss their futures…Screw that.

Wade is my favorite NBA player, hands down (he just plays for the wrong squad), but the last thing I want to see is him play with LeBron or any of the other players from the Olympic team if it aint time for the Olympics. I want to see the best players playing against the best players. That’s why Jordan will always be the G.O.A.T to me, he beat the best of his time. Look at how many top 50 players and hall of famers Jordan denied a ring. I don’t mind the Big 3 of Boston and San Antonio playing together, they old anyway, but outside of Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett, I wouldn’t call anyone else a “superstar” on those teams. Same with Pau Gasol, unless he wins a few more rings, there isn’t anyone who knows basketball that is really going to make a push for him in the Hall of Fame or in the top 50 of all time, he’s just the key role player Kobe needed to win something post Shaq. Hell if you ask me, D-Fish is the only reason Kobe has 2 rings post Snaq O’meal.

Bottom line, If any of these 3 guys: Wade, LeBroken (like my cheap shots at the “Queen” yet?) and Bosh play on the same team in 2011, I’m going to be heavily disappointed. If you’re a so-called “Superstar”, prove it and beat your peers with guys you made better by playing with you.

...That said, bring Bosh to LA in exchange for Odom and Farmar *ducks thrown rocks and beer bottles*

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  3. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would do that trade in a heart beat. You know Bosh wants to play for LA. He was practically at every home game for the Lakers in the Finals.

4. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm not sure what the Sixers should do with the second pick. Turner or Cousins?

5. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember reading on Yahoo Sports about how Wade hyping up this "free agent summit" could have been interpreted as tampering with the free agency process, but the NBA cleared him.

I'll agree that there's probably too much hype going into whatever summit these guys are planning; we don't even know if it'll actually happen. But for all this talk about how they shouldn't be doing this, we can look at all the past superstar teamups to see James, Wade, Bosh, etc. see the value of joining forces to win titles. It's just a question of who will take the paycuts, and how they are going to work out how to play together.

I know some people feel it cheapens the concept of winning a title if you got a stacked roster in your favor, but in the long term most people only care whether pairing X and Y Superstars can make the difference between a Champion and an Also-ran. This whole summit deal probably wouldn't have even happened if KG-Pierce-Allen and Kobe-Pau-Odom-Artest failed to win titles these past three years. If you want to go back even further, we got Bird-McHale-Parish-DJ and Magic-Kareem-Worthy.

6. SCPrime

News Credits:
    A site (either CBSsports or ESPN, not sure which) was reporting a rumor that Tracy Mcgrady wants to play for the Lakers. He would have to take the mid level and would have to come off the bench. Neither of which I think he would accept. If he's willing, what do you think of that Laker fans? While the thought of Odom and Mcgrady coming off the bench sounds scary good, I think it'll be alot of chemistry issues. Too many egos in one team ala Lakers when they had Shaq, Kobe, Malone, and Payton...didn't win the title.

Also, in his exit interview today Farmar wants to be the lead guard (won't happen if Fischer is resigned which I think it will happen) so wants to go elsewhere. Farmar is a decent guard off the bench at best. Not a starter though.

7. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I much rather have Raja Bell taking the mid level exception than McGrady. Bell can shoot the 3s well and is a good perimeter player, while McGrady's best years are clearly behind him. I also want to see Lakers getting either Miller or Korver and a big man if DJ leaves. I think we will see the overhaul of the bench except for Sasha and Walton. Let's hope the bench next year will be one of Lakers' strengths instead of weakness.

8. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I donno, I'm not sold on Raja Bell. Dude was good years ago but he played all of 6 games last season. If TMac can stay relatively healthy, I'd love to pair him up with Odom on the bench. To replace Farmar, all signs point to Ridnour or Blake right now. I say D Fish reupps with the Lake show and Brown leaves along with Farmar.

9. SCPrime

News Credits:
    I don't see Farmar staying and maybe not Brown. If that's the case Lakers need to shop for another guard who can play alot of minutes because while I do think Fisher will re-sign with the Lakers he won't be playing alot of minutes (maybe 24 to 30 per game at most), especially in the regular season. Most mock drafts I see have the Lakers taking the 7'1" center from Duke. He should be a decent backup to Bynum if Mbenga leaves. Definitely need to improve the bench cuz the minutes the starters play is going to take its toll. Plus I think the Laker's biggest threat in the Western Conference next year is going to be OKC Thunders. Lakers will need fresh legs to run with them young legs in OKC.

10. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    What I'm hoping for this off-season... I'm hoping the Thunder bundle up the appropriate draft picks so they can get into a spot to draft Daniel Orton. I love his up-side, he's an OKC kid and the thought of having Orton and Ibaka is very, very appealing. I don't think it would hurt to move some draft picks because the team is loaded with young talent, and we could better use those kind of assets to fill in the remaining pieces.

I don't see a huge free agency move happening, unless the rumors of the Thunder dealing Jeff Green are true(which I hope they aren't)... unless you count KD signing a max extension, which I think will happen. I do think the Thunder will look at bringing in a shooter(all the talk here is Kyle Korver). But barring epic sophomore slumps from Harden and Ibaka, the pieces are in place, otherwise. From there, I'm just hoping we draw a different first round opponent and make it to the second round. I wouldn't be completely and utterly shocked to see the Thunder make the Western Conference Finals, but I'm not expecting it. Give me a second round playoff series this year and another year of experience under the team's belt, and I'll be happy.

11. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    Well, I'm hoping that the Bulls can sign 2 top free agents this season and I honestly hope that it's not Lebron. Lebron hasn't proven anything to me other then he can win in the regular season....in the playoffs, yes he got to the finals once but other then that one time he has choked in the playoffs. Is he a MVP...yes but only for the regular season, Kobe is the true MVP on the playoffs the last 2 years. That being said I would like to see the Bulls bring Wade back to his home town and either Bosh or Boozer to be a force on the inside....just my wish list...probably won't happen but one can wish.

Oh and on a side note I really want to see one of these one of these so called "superstars" (aka Lebron) sign a deal for a low amount of money with the team they started on just to prove once and for all it's not about the money....I know it won't happen.

12. SCPrime

News Credits:
    Only time I ever saw that in the NBA was when Magic took a self suggested voluntary paycut so that the Lakers can sign Teagle to improve the team. This was when Magic was still around his prime (not when over his prime and signing on a winning team just to win a championship like K. Malone or Payton).

13. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

I can't wait till tomorrow night. I'm so excited for the Sixers to draft Evan Turner. The only other thing I could hope for is to sucker Elton Brand off on someone or buying a 1st round pick

14. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    Wow. That shooter thing got resolved faster than I expected. Pretty excited about Daequan Cook joining the team. Even if he had a bit of a down year last season, he's still young and the kind of player who seems like he'll fit in well with our system. And now Presti has 3 first rounders... I suspect he's got something up his sleeve(probably involving Orton) but we'll see.

15. Molini

But out of all those Big 3 or 4's that you mentioned, there are still only 2 "superstars" listed. Kobe and KG. I'll give Pau and Pierce the sidekick awards, because neither of them are top 50 players of all time, Pierce will go to the HOF, Pau as of now would not, but I estimate he still has plenty of time to effect that decision.

Odom and Artest are role players. Odom has never been consistent. Doesn't mean he isn't good, just not all-star good. The Bird-McHale-Parish and Magic-Kareem-Worthy, era...do not even compare. Those were all dynasty players. meaning at least 3 rings a piece for their team. But even out of those, who's names stand out? Magic and Bird that's who. That's what I mean by Superstar. Guys that are marketable franchise players. They are rare.

Today's biggest stars are not hard to identify in the NBA, hell they are All NBA 1st team: Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, Kevin Durant, LeBron James and Dwight Howard. These are marketable franchise players that you want in your commercials wearing or displaying your product as well as holding the ball in clutch moments of the game (well except for maybe Dwight, he's who you want defending the guy with the ball in the paint in the clutch moments).

Other guys I would say are in that Caliber of Superstar at this moment in time, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Rajon Rondo, Carmelo Anthony and Derrick Rose. (why are so many guards the only superstars I'm seeing?)

I believe you need that one-two punch (explosive guard and dominant center/power forward) that the Lakers have proved works over the years with a good bench and significant role players.

I see the following players as the guy who can be the "2" in the one-two punch for either Wade or Lebron (I think KD is gonna be just fine, the Thunder just need experience and maybe one veteran to be in Championship contention): Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudemire, Carlos Boozer, Al Jefferson (psssh like T-wolves get rid of him :rolleyes: ) Jamal Crawford.

I think if you send Joe Johnson to play with Dwight Howard, you would see the Magic win the East again and possibly the NBA finals (unless JJ had another playoff meltdown like 2010).

Wait...so you're telling me that not only did we take the guy who had his famous "all up in Kobe's Grill" pic when he was playing for the Rockets in '09 but now we are considering the guy who is famous for damn near ripping Kobe's head off in the playoffs 3 yrs ago?

I guess if you can't beat him... tell him you're sorry, I really can't win a ring without you oh Great One?

Let us not forget that the Cavs also got swept in their only NBA Finals appearance.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  16. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

If the Heat form the Voltron with DWade, Lebron, and Bosh I'll shit my pants

17. Darkhawk79

News Credits:
    Looks like the Bulls are making more room to sign 2 top free agents...reports have them trading Hinrich and the 17th pick to the wizards and if the wizards back out the Kings want Hinrich and the pick....that will leave the Bulls close to if not more then 30 mil for free agency

18. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I have no expectations for the draft for the Wolves between there less than stellar record in it and inability to keep the players they draft coupled with the way the draft lottery hates them. ( no #1 or # 2 picks over all ever despite having the worst record more than once.)

19. Molini

I just saw this! In all honesty though, I think the Bulls need to invest in trying to acquire Chris Bosh, or Amare Stoudemire. You don't need a D-Wade or a Lebron with an effective scoring threat like D-Rose on the court. You need a defensive and offensive presence in the paint right now. Get a decent big man and D-Rose can effectively facilitate the post up game for him by remaining a perimiter shooting and driving threat. You will also see D-Rose's stats improve in the scoring and assists category.

I would love to see the Bulls back in Championship contention too! I also like watching D-Rose play.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  20. Darkhawk79

News Credits:
    Well, if they did get Wade or Lebron I would say Wade seeing as how he is from Chicago but yeah we have a scorer in Rose so we need another body down in the post with Noah and maybe someone like Joe Johnson and some good roll players to get us back to the championship