The OCD of TF's..

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SamiWCP, Nov 20, 2006.

1. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

I'm thinking I'm not really alone on this, particularly not on here..But it's a point that is in my head, and since I'm stuck here at work at this slow time of year before the hoidays, I shall rattle on..

Actually, because of random customer interference I've lost the train of thought in my head, and yet, I shall still ramble on with this..

Collecting has become more than just that for me. It has been for years. My collectings become my compulsions, where as I can't get it out of my head, I spend money that I don't have..I get REALLY annoyed when I come home expecting--hoping for a package, a box at my door, to find none. And when that happens, I usually just head right back out to the store to buy even more.

At first, it wasn't anything bad. My obsession was Walden Books, and then Barnes and Noble, so much so I got my first job there. Granted that was only at the Starbucks coffee part, but I welcomed the lunch break there. Somewhere from there, it moved from books onto movies, DVD's. It got more expensive. Started taking up room. Then it became a "collection." One that you had to go out and buy special cases to house and display. I think that has something to do with it. Once you have to get display anythings..you're hooked.

Then came the Transformers. Compared to some..er, well, most of you on here, I got a relative late start to it all. An ex of mine was into it. You from the Alston MA on here may know him. Hi Brian. Asshole. Anyways, he was into it. And that meant by process that I got into it, for him. The occasional trip to a store, and a request to look for so and so and so on. Then we had to put up shelves for them.
    [​IMG]

And a meager Optimus Prime collection that I mostly paid for..
    [​IMG]

But all things change, and sometimes for the better..We move, and move on. But the OCD stays the same. Well, no, that's not entirely true. It tends to get worse. And worse usually means more expensive. I'm very thankful I was never one for drugs or drinking..Cause I'm pretty sure that would do me in there. After Brian and I split, I continued to find myself wandering over to the toy isle, looking for that new Prime thing. But apparently I missed out on all the good stuff, and OP was nolonger the semi truck I rather liked. I got into the DVD's of Gen-1 (yea, that bit was still going to..Oh how I look forward to new movie Tuesday..) And then I eventually found my way to you guys. And that just opened up a flood gate of expensing credit cards, online accounts, tips, anything and everything I could throw at them, I bought more and more. And then I too put up shelves of my own. And then I found display cases.
    [​IMG]

There is no real point to this thread I guess, no moral to the story, no happy ending or whatever. I'm just bored. And so I wrote.

So how many of you collect with that sense of OCD, that itch you need to scratch. That one peice you just need to have...Only to want the next one too..What are your stories?

2. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Oh, and PS..you can see, in the shelving pics, how we had to keep expanding the shelves with different sized peices of wood as the collection grew..

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    maybe youre collecting to cope with the loss.

...thats a lot of coping btw o_O 

you must break the vicious cycle. by giving all those g1s. to me.

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    ALL THE TIME. In fact, so much so that I started this thread: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=115376

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    No, give them to me, as I allow visitation.

At least your addiction doesn't hurt anybody. I have TF OCD too, to the point that I can't display them all. Luckily, I don't like the movie designs at all and won't collect them.

6. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

i know this feeling; this urge to just get it and all of them. echos of "collect them all!" ring through my subconcious. i look at my modest collection sometimes and think "what was it all for?". i used to get every beast wars and beast machines figure i could find at the stores. now i'm very picky about the toys i grab mostly because of lack of funds.

however, it all comes down to one thing; the hobbyist. everybody needs a hobby. some do stamps and coins, the easy ones. the modelers probably spend about as much money as us on paint and other materials let alone the actual model kits. the worst of all would have to be car people. i know i've spent a couple thousand to keep my little crx running strong. the racers and hot rod guys spend a couple thousand on a single piece of the engine. as for transformers, it would also seem like a great way to piss your ex off while you were at it. ;) 

above all, as long as you're not drowning in money problems i wouldn't worry about buying too many of the little guys. it's when you've got money to buy into your hobby but none to keep food on the table that things need to change. i know this thorn too.

7. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Well, I for one get the oddest of looks from friends when they see my "habit." They thought I was odd when I'd spend over a grand on the X-files dvd sets 1-9 for over 100$ a pop--which of course now they're all like 40$...I could have new cars, amazing clothes, hell, onto my own house maybe...But no, I want little plastic toys. Even my brother laughs.

And strangely I wouldn't have it any other way, I don't think..

8. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Not true 1)ALL addictions hurt, if not someone else then yourself and 2)SamiWCP admit to spending money she doesn't have as she said here

And I don't know about you, but I consider it pretty damaging to spend money you don't have. Because that means credit bills, and if you don't have money for it. How do you pay the bill

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    dude i gave you mine the last time, you said youd lift the restraining order.

honestly, unless youre one of them ppl who buys in doubles/triples of the same toy, you should be okay.

it doesnt help that theres like a gazillion TFs out there. thk god for crappy movie designs XD

10. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    As someone with genuine OCD, I can tell when my collecting bug gets too close to it and starts patterning like real OCD.

The real line - the one not to cross - is loss of fun. Once collecting stops being genuinely fun, or if it starts causing real financial problems, then it is venturing into unhealthy. Trick is to catch it before it crosses those lines and hold it there, so that you never have to lose the fun and relatively affordable hobby. :) 

I'll tell you this much - real OCD sucks. It is infuriating and drives one almost mad with the repetition and hopeless feelings it creates. It is an ugly thing filled with fear. Forunately it is controllable, but needs genuine medical and phsychological assistance to deal with properly.

I'm betting you are just using the term OCD anecdotally and not literally - I'm not sure why I've just rambled about the real thing, except I like to grab opportunities to post/talk about it since a lot of people just try to live with it and hide it.

ANYWAY :)  , Here's how I collect TF's - and it is probably fairly unique here:

I only buy a TF if I genuinely like the toy.

If the toy sucks, I won't buy it at all, no matter what collection it completes* or character it is or whatever. If the toy stinks, I must aquit - I mean, not buy.

I also open all of them, throw out boxes, and fill my shelves with only the toys. I take them down off the shelf a lot. Now a days I share them with my son, although he mostly just pulls them apart and feeds the tires to the vacuum cleaner. :) 

In the end, only you can keep it fun or let it run amok. If it becomes something unhappy or financially crippling, you might have to reign it in. A smaller and "not complete" collection is infinitely better than driving oneself to the point of having to give the hobby up completely!

11. Razerwire

News Credits:
    As long as you're happy with it, I don't see a problem.

Yeah a house/car/etc is nice. Maybe that's something that will come later. But as long as your TF habit isn't harming anyone else or yourself, I don't see any problems with it.

12. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Well no, I'm not irresponsible about it. I pay my bills, rent, and other expenses all on time. It's just at times it comes to..have money for the week, or spend it all at once and just hope I don't need any for later. I'm not that far gone.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    My wife often laments that she doesn't have a hobby that makes her as happy as collecting Transformers makes me. I suggested she make cleaning the bathroom her hobby. She told me to sleep in the spare room. But that's the room where I keep my TFs, so I had the last laugh!

As long as you're not mugging people with a sharpened spoon on the street, it's fine! :lol 

14. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

I'm betting you are just using the term OCD anecdotally and not literally - I'm not sure why I've just rambled about the real thing, except I like to grab opportunities to post/talk about it since a lot of people just try to live with it and hide it.

Rambling is good. There is no harm there. Particularly when you have a valid, educated point to make.

I also open all of them, throw out boxes, and fill my shelves with only the toys. I take them down off the shelf a lot. Now a days I share them with my son, although he mostly just pulls them apart and feeds the tires to the vacuum cleaner. :) 

I actually had so much fun last year when my friend Jocelyn and I took her son out shopping and I got him into Transformers as well. I went over to her house and he had an Energon Jetfire..And I just got happy from there!

15. Razerwire

News Credits:
    And that probably saved the kid from a lifetime of drugs, alcohol, etc. Mission accomplished!:lol 

16. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I take back what I said then :) 

Although why not get the best of both worlds in that situation. When it comes to the choice of a)Having money for incidentals or b)Spending it all on TFs

Why not simply keep 50% for fun frivilous stuff and 50% in case something creeps up? Because at least then you've got your bases covered :) 

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    real tf ocd is that guy whos amassing an army of dreadwind (or is that darkwing? i always confuse the two).

18. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yup. I'd say that is the epitome of TFOCD.

19. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Spending money you don't have on crap you don't need is the American way dammit. Why else is Deion Sanders on my TV saying you can have an H2 or Escalade even if you don't have any credit? Personally, I'd rather have the TFs. :p 

I spend money I probably shouldn't sometimes, but never more than I have. I have 5 figures in my account and could charge an Escalade to my CC...I dunno that I could spend all that on toys even if I went balls to the wall crazy buying stuff.

20. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Shouldn't you be at a Wal*Mart finding my Jetfire?

And no, that wasn't off topic. That Jetfire is to feed my TFOCD. :D