The Nostalgia Effect - A TFW Round Table

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Prowl, May 22, 2008.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So let me disclaimer this with the notion that there is no intent here for flaming or bashing of one's opinion on individual movies, shows, games, etc.

But with the new Indy movie out (No Spoilers here), something I have always wanted to discuss has come to mind. It'd be cool if we could discuss it with an open mind on the subject and be able to ask ourselves how much nostalgia affects our views on things.

The huge one for me is Star Wars.

The prequels have always been enjoyable to me, (I actually prefer Episode 1 over 2), but the movie is, according to internet discussion, plagued with corny and cheesy dialogue among other things.

It's difficult to do this, but if you can "unlearn what you have learned" (I can't believe I just said that), and rewatch the originals, the same line-delivery and dialogue are present throughout the 3 movies, but since we grew up with them and watched them hundreds of times during a time when we were not so critical of movies, we have not only accepted them, but even quote them on many occasions.

But take for example, Luke grasping as Obi Wan's ghost on Hoth in Empire. If you saw that scene in a new movie today, with Luke groping at the air and saying BEEEEENNNN, or his ramblings while Han is helping him out after he was attacked by the Wampa... "Ben, Degoba, Yoda, Yoda!" Would you not consider these lines over the top a bit?

These lines and deliveries have been engraved in our memories back when we accepted things like this a lot more. So now we watch Episode 1, 2, and 3 and get similarly cheesy and awkwardly-delivered lines, but they are horrible... Liam Neesan is a great actor (IMO), but he delivers the quivering "You must train the boy" as his final words to Obi Wan. Even I cringed at the line, but after watching the movie plenty of times, it becomes Star Wars, and I become immuned to it. Then I realize that the line was never really bad, relative to Star Wars, it was just bad, relative to the movies I watch now.

Try watching the Original's acting like they were in the theater for the first time and see if you can separate yourself enough and determine whether or not you would find some of the dialogue in these movies corny.

"I feel COOOOLLLLDDD(Luke's voice quivering).....Death."

Anyway, so do you guys think that the old movies we loved have stayed the same, but we have changed?

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I think they have stayed the same to me and have built a base for me to appreciate newer movies. Star wars had dog fight scenes which was something new and that has always fascinated since then and I love seeing dog fights in movies such as Independence day, BSG and such.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Heheh, I think it's the fact that you're from Texas, because I was a HUGE sucker for multi-ship dogfights, and I watch Independance Day over and over just for those last Dog fights. Some of the Star Trek Deep Space Nine episodes had some HUGE epic space dog fights, especially considering their budget for TV.

4. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    The Never ending story, I think, set the base for movies like LOTR, Golden compass, Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia and the way they were filmed (special effects, music, characterization)

5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ahh, funny you should bring Never Ending Story up. That was one movie as a child I loved immensely. Now, I can still watch TFs animated movie, and I still like Gremlins, Back to the Future, The Dark Crystal, The Goonies and lots of other favorites from my childhood, but the Never Ending Story I rewatched after about 10 years and found it did not withstand the test of time. Now, that veiwing was about 5 years ago now, so maybe if I watched it again now I may think differently, I don't know.

Oh, with the new star wars compared to the old, I will admit that the original trilogy had plenty of corny lines, and the light saber fight in Episode 4 is rediculously laughable even by Jedi and Empire standards. However, Episodes 1-3 also had lot of cheesy lines, but everyone seem to be acting much more serious and stiff when in 4-6 you had a lot of personality in the lines, even if they were a little over the top.

6. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Nostalgia. Yeah. We're part of it. Admit it. Transformers was not as good as you think it was. I still will not stop watching it and do love it.

7. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I am a huge Robotech fan. Some of my favorite memories as a child involve sitting on my Dad's lap as we both tuned in. He geekd out over the toys more than I did. It was great.

I own the whole series now and I've watched it all the way through twice (plus reading the novels), and I have to say, if I hadn't watched it as a child, I'm not sure I'd be half as interested in it. The plotholes are abound, and I'm still trying to make sense of the "Masters" saga. I think the story they tried to create is the very definition of a "space epic," but they should've tried better with the execution.

Still, it's as much of my childhood as TFs, so I'll love it to the day I die. (Plus, the novels are just awesome.)

8. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my only complaint about the SW prequels were the blatant. repetitious plagiarism of Episodes 4-6. Just an example was the pod race- it was the same thing as the speeder bike scene in Episode 6.

i found Robotech by accident one Saturday morning- 4 a.m. on a local station when i was real young and just before G1 TFs hit the after school time slot- and fell in love with not only these Valkyrie thingys, but the epic battles. the whole "Songs can save us" or the romance plot bored me, but who cared.

but i admit that Robotech has aged a bit and in comparison to the newest Macross stuff, i still like the old Robotech.

and who cares about whether a show or movie has aged well?
    Nostalgia plays an important role in all this.
    Ghostbusters is Velveeta goodness compared to this CGI stuff, but damn it is funny.

and strangely enough, nostalgia, or an affinity for something can come from the oddest places. i have Sinbad comedy specials, some Martin Lawrence, Cosby on tape because they talked about things that i experienced (much to my best friend's confusion) as a kid.

9. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

you know, I agree that I actually like the star wars prequels as well. I feel though that as good of an actress that natalie portman is, her lines are VERY wooden, and her scenes in the movies are pretty much the only ones I don't like.

I still love watching the original trilogy, but I've seen them so many times that they've become sleep inducing, as has the tf animated movie, and to a lesser extent pixar's cars.

but as an admitted retro fan, I'd say that most hollywood movies (ghostbusters, batman, top gun) from childhood hold up WAY better than the cartoons did. I remember being in college and paying for a cable box just to get cartoon network when toonami began and they were showing voltron and thundercats. I couldn't bring myself to watch more than like three episodes of voltron, and tcats makes transformers look like shakespeare.

10. Spider Striker

Voltron has been a roller coaster ride for me. Loved it as a kid, but when I sawe it again as a teenager, it was "Why did I like this?" Then I saw some of it when it was playing at the comic store around the time of the new TF movie, and, well, I felt dirty. That's the only way I can think to describe it.

Then, about few months ago, I found a DVD copy of the VHS recordings my Dad taped for me when I was little. I figured "what the hell" and watched it....and I kinda liked it again. Still cheesy as all hell, but it suddenly had its own little charm to it. Now I'm debating weather or not to buy some of the DVD sets.

11. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Part of the reason I liked Power Rangers was becuase it was basically a real life version of Voltron. That, plus the pink ranger was hot

12. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Amy Jo Johnson's Pink Ranger (Kimberly Hart)?

That aside, I remember looking back fondly on shows like Voltron, G-Force, and Speed Racer, watching them late nights as a kid (along side I Love Lucy and BeWitched), but then when I rented them off Netflix.com --- it was completely different from how I remembered it. The animation was choppy in G-Force and Speed Racer, the voice-acting was less than stellar at times (or all the time), and Voltron --- erm, yeah, I still love the Giant Robot, but I'm so keen on the TV Show anymore.

13. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not affected much by nostalgia influencing my views of a series/film. I watched TF G1 when I was very young and have fond memories of watching the movie in theatres. But, when I watch the show now, I notice the multitude of problems a lot and find it really distracting; to the point I barely made it through my G1 season boxsets without skipping episodes. I can't shut down or ignore the analytical, critical side of my mind just because I enjoyed something as a child and remember it fondly from back then. Another example for me is Beast Wars, which blew me away when I watched it in junior high...but now I have trouble getting through Season 3 due to all the flaws. Third example would be Darkwing Duck, which I loved as a kid but, watching the DVDs now, it's still a fun show but has serious flaws.

Concerning Star Wars specifically, I've always assumed there was a major nostalgia factor at play in the popularity of that franchise. I first watched the original trilogy (pre-tweaks, IIRC) when I was about 15 and thought they were all terrible. Weak stories, poor acting, bad dialogue and an overall lack of redeeming features IMO (though the special effects were decent for the time period)...yet they're extremely popular. Other than nostalgia ("we grew up with these movies"), I just don't understand it.

14. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Star Wars prequels would have been a lot better if they weren't filmed entirely in front of a blue screen. Helps to explain why some of the performances are so bad...

15. Spider Striker

This was similar to my expereince when G1 started coming out on DVD. I remmbered this great war epic with awesome battles and amazing characters. Like the stereotypical TF fan, at the time, I probably would have humped Optimus Prime's leg given the chance.

Then I got Season 1 and...wow. Quite different from those rosey childhood memories. Unlike Voltron though, I never stopped loving it. There's some really brilliant stuff there and it has great MST3K fodder ("Exposed to the atmosphere!").

Though I now find Optimus Prime as boring as a cardboard box. Rodimus FTW!

16. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I tend to find that while nostalgia does enhance my enjoyment of movies or tv, it cannot make up for poor quality. The truth is the G1 animated stuff generally sucks. The animation is poor, the writing ludicrous and the characters paper thin. The nostalgia lets me watch it and enjoy it despite the poor quality, but I still know it's crap.

Star Wars I have gone back and reevaluated a little. I was 7 for SW, and thus 10 for ESB and 13 for Jedi. For the most part I agree with you on the dialogue (though the "younglings" bit always makes me cringe), and there is a noticable shift in tone towards more juvenile humor that starts with Jedi (which I've always held as the least effective of the original 3). Still, for all their flaws the originals remain solidly entertaining, nostalgia or no.

As for the pod race ripping off the speeder bike chase... no. Really. Watch some more movies. Especially Ben ****ing Hur.