1. Optimal Tucker

Optimal Tucker Optimal Optimus

So the character designer is quoted as saying robots wouldnt have noses because robots don't breath.

But you know they might need stuff like oxygen for combustion. I mean who ever heard of oxygen needed for chemical reactions.

Or intakes or exhausts.

Or tracking particles/smells/environmental info...

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    A robot could have a nose because its creator had a nose and decided to craft the robot in their own image.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Not sure about anybody else, but the lack of obvious noses doesn't bother me. Arcee and Prime are, imo, the only one's where it's really all that noticeable. Ratchet and Cliffjumper's helmets come down far enough that they form noses. Bumblebee's face sort of folds to form a bit of a nose.

The reasoning behind the lack of noses doesn't bother me too much. I imagine they would still have intakes/outtakes, but in another location. They look humanoid, but I don't think that should mean their entire anatomy should be humanoid as well.

4. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Noses always looking hilarious on transformers anyway. After Animated I would be fine with zero noses as long as the facial design is quality. I really dig Arcee's face for example.

5. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    This +1

I never liked noses on my TFs.

6. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I don't have a problem with it at all. I actually like that they are moving away from robots having human looking noses for no apparent reason.

Like most people, Optimus's face did look a tad bare the first time I saw it, but even now I've kind of already goten use to it.

7. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Never really bothered about noses on TFs and never will, for me it's about the quality of the show and a bit of the design

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My grandma's car doesn't need a bigass nose to do chemical reactions.

9. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I'm so used to them having noses, so it is a little weird, but some of their helmets form parts that resemble noses. Optimus' faceplate, when it's down forms what looks like a nose.

10. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Guy's, there are electronic sensors that can detect chemicals you know. Take for example the Carbon Monoxide detector in your house. In some ways, that is an electronic nose, so why not?
    What I don't get is why do they cough?

11. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

A nose is part of a human face, and the entire reason many transformers are made to look human is because it makes them easier to relate to. The omission of noses from the characters is just another case of the producers trying to be clever (such as omitting Arcee from the first Baye movie as they couldnt figure out a way to fexplain why there would be female TFs, then just thought 'screw it' and put THREE of them in the sequel) - of course, if you're going to go down the road of making them look less human, then why do they have 2 legs, 2 arms, a head and a torso? Wouldn't 4/6/8/100 arms be better? Why bother with legs at all when you could just have thrusters - and why even HAVE a head at all?

Stop trying to fix what isn't broken.

12. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    Is it really that big of a deal? They're just noses, and in many of the designs, the helmet dips between the eyes, giving the illusion of a nose anyway.

13. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I always have to call BS to that mentality. That just seems purely superficial to me. I don't relate to characters just because they might look kinda like I do. I relate to characters base on how well their personalites are writen.

Case in point, While playing Mass Effect I actually related more to the alien characters then to the human ones. Rex and Garrus were much more interesting to me, and were some pretty cool character designs to boot.

The whole part of the fun of robot characters is that you don't have to have them be perfectly human looking. That's kinda borring. And like I siad, if it's just to make them relatable, then it's cheap.

14. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Okay, so let's give these alien robots eyes, lips, eyebrows, 2 arms, 2 legs, 5-fingered hands.

But noses? Nah, that's not realistic. Robots don't need oxygen.

I call bs on the 'not realistic for robots to have noses' justification. I think the reality is noses don't really contribute anything to facial expressiveness. You can see it in smilies. Most smiles don't have noses for the same reason they don't have ears or hair either. Generally speaking, they don't convey emotion.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Noses I can live without. The only time I recall noses actually being used as such was in the Beast Era (where characters even in robot mode could smell) and Animated, where Prowl said the garbage was stinky, and waved the air from his nose.

They're not trying to fix anything, they're trying to keep it fresh.

If every series was a stright G1 reboot it would get boring really fast.

16. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

Fixed

17. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think it's realistic as much as it is "what would make sense to leave out of the designs to make the robots less human or more alien" kind of purpose.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Exactly.

It's not like it's some radical redesign, it's just no noses. Out of all the features that make a person recognisable, a nose seems last on the list. You don't need a nose for expressions.

19. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I prefer my transformers toys to have boxy type noses. because it evokes a G-1 diaclone/microchange type toy design/feel/vibe.

20. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Prime having a nose would be more asthetically pleasing imo. Without his face plate he just looks weird. There could be a lot of reasons a machine would have or not have noses but it simply looks better on a mostly humanoid looking face. I suppose Megatron doesn't have a nose either?