The Nintendo 3DS and the PSP2.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by UnicronFTW, Feb 8, 2011.

1. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    You think they're gonna be competitors?

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The 3DS will sell more, but kinda like this gen, the PSP isn't going anywhere. So long as it's selling, it's not dying. If not being in first meant automatic death, then we wouldn't have Burger King... and I don't want to live in a world without Burger King.

I'm taking the safe route and buying both. Zelda and Uncharted while I poop. Enough said.

3. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I think it will be interesting. Im getting the 3DS for sure. The PSP2 I would like to get, but since we dont really have many details, I cant commit to it for sure. I am most worried about the PSP2's price. I have a hard time seeing it cost less than $350. I think that if it costs more than $400 it could be dead pretty quickly out of the gate. I also dont recall seeing EA on the list of developers. If they're not on the system already, that is kinda scary news for the PSP2.

3DS might not be a sure thing either. I think Nintendo has made a lot of mistakes so far(although the system launches this month in japan, so we obviously know more about the system's pros and cons). I dont think Nintendo has done enough to show that the 3DS is a completely new system. I could imagine that most people think it will be just another model of the DS, like the DSi or DSLite. It also does not do too much in the way of new gaming features like the DS did. The 3D could be cool and all, but I think that the only big new gaming feature on the system is the augmented reality thing. But Im not sure how developers will use that. Kinnect seems kinda similar, given that its a 3D camera, but i dont think the gaming uses of Kinnect will work with the backwards facing cameras of the 3DS.

On the bright side. Both systems have pretty nice graphics all things considered. It looks like we will also be getting some great games for each system. It looks like Sony is addressing the PSPs control issues, and Nintendo is making online play much easier. But overall, they're just upgraded versions of existing systems. It should be fun to see where this generation goes.

4. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

PSP2 will be like the PSP- shatter into a billion pieces upon dropping two feet, have mediocre games with a few gems, but overall, will never achieve the notoriety of the 3DS.

5. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I'm going 3DS. I just don't feel the NGP at the moment. They'll be competitive, yes, but they're basically gunning for two different crowds again.

6. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    psp2 for me because i like uncharted more then any nintendo game.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  8. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Easy ports are not exactly a great thing IMO. The best games for the PSP were made for the PSP, and didnt try to act like its console older brother too much. Also, did they really get rid of the XMB on the NGP? That seems like a dumb decision. XMB is awesome. It could use some refinements, but it should not be ditched at all.

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Having spent 40 minutes on a 3DS at the weekend, I am firmly of the opinion that if Sony want to pull a miracle out of their asses, they'd better stand up.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As a purchaser of both, that miracle will simply be some great game support, especially now that it can handle some of their better PS3 titles. I'm hyped as shit about the 3DS because of the Wow-factor, but none of the launch titles have me confused as to what game to choose, especially with Link, Pit, and Fox out of the launch runnings. And two of those games are ports, which the PSP was constantly bashed for.

3DS has killer Wow tech, but no killer app yet. Day One for Uncharted on NGP, on the other hand, especially since it's not a port.

On the other hand, being able to easily port PS3 games, is a double edged sword. I don't want clones of the same games on the PS3, but if they are REALLY that interchangable, it would be sweet to be able to take a PS3 game with me on the go and exchange saves, they way I do with PS1 games on the PSP now.

Let me add a little edit here. A New Zelda on the 3DS (with non-stylus controls) would be my killer app on 3DS, but that's just me.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011