The Nightly show with Larry Wilmore Cancelled

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tekkaman Blade, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  2. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Not surprised. Probably why Comedy Central had a shit fit about Colbert returning to his old character during the Republican Convention.

When they realized how quickly he could just side step their copyright claim by introducing a new, identical cousin character persona of himself, they threw in the towel.

They'll never match the magic they had with Colbert, or with Stewart.

Would not surprise me if "The Daily Show" gets the plug pulled next, to be quite honest.

3. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Dammit, I like him and his show quite a bit more than Trevor Noah on the Daily Show. Shit hell.

4. ABH1979

ABH1979 Anonymous Bucket Head Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Pinterest:
    I'm sorry to say that I never gave this show a shot.

Between Trevor's Daily Show, and especially John Oliver's Last Week Tonight, I just didn't feel the need to watch Larry's show.

5. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    I was gonna say, I think John Oliver's Last Week Tonight is pretty much the Daily Show in spirit.

6. GoLion

GoLion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Absolutely. The current iteration of the daily show is just boring. The humor feels almost... too safe.

Larry Wilmore's show was kind of boring too, unfortunately. I didn't think it was bad, but it didn't grab me.

7. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    I think they originally intended for Oliver to take over as he was the one that ran things when Stewart went to make his film.
    But HBO beat them to the punch and hired him.
    Between that and Colbert going to CBS, comedy central has lost some of the edge and drive it used to have in the late night wars.
    The problem Wilmore has is he is competing with the guy they had him replacing, Colbert is in the same time slot.
    By just changing the channel viewers can still get their Daily Show/ Colbert viewing hour that they used to have on one channel.
    Also since Cobert and Stewart left, while there is still a decent political commentary, it isn't as in your face as it used to be. Most of the best correspondents they had on the show don't show up much anymore or have moved on to other better things.
    I knew something was off when I started getting Nostalgic for classic episodes and routines, and started watching reruns of those online.
    Plus Stewart is now going to HBO as well.
    Jon Stewart Headed to HBO in Four-Year Deal | Hollywood Reporter

8. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not too surprised by this, and CC make a good point about the show: it had absolutely zero 'social media' interest when it came to brilliant topical satire, especially compared to the likes of Jon Oliver who has something go viral nearly every week, and even Seth Myers. I think The Daily Show will still be given a longer chance just because it's an institution of the network, but they too really need to pick up their game soon.

9. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

That's a shame because Larry was just finding his grove.

However, with Last Week Tonight, The Daily Show, Colbert's show (not sure what it is called exactly even though I watch it), Samantha Bee having a show (although, it's not very good), The Nightly Show, and that one Jessica is about to start up, there are so many of these things now that it feels redundant when they can only really talk about the same thing over.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
  11. GoLion

GoLion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was kind of unique when it was only Stewart and Maher doing it. Now everyone and their mother is doing the "snark" style political commentary. It's like you wrote, the luster is gone.

12. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

This is the first I've heard of the show. He has to be better than Noah, Maher, and Bee though right?

13. Timesynch

Timesynch I still function! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not surprised. Always found Larry a bit hit or miss (mostly miss) and his show was too, how shall we say, narrowly focused as far as the topics they would discuss. My wife (who's Brazilian) said it best; there are so many other events happening on the world stage and Larry just kept talking about the same things over and over again, like a broken record. He always had the same commentators night after night too, and it just became stale and boring.

Agreed that John Oliver is pretty much carrying the torch of the Daily Show and Colbert Report in spirit. As far as Trevor Noah, he tries and I like him but in a pretty lukewarm kinda way. My wife and I feel he should play up his international background and interest in world affairs more, but the focus always does seem to swing back to America, America, America (yeah, I know, that's the target audience, but still; the world is so much larger than just the USA).

14. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I always watched when I could catch it on TV wherever I might be at any given point, but its main handicap always seemed to be that he's a better writer than he is a performer. The delivery just wasn't there to justify his role as the host. Kinda the same problem with Trevor Noah, actually.

But Oliver, Bee, and Maher are still absolutely SLAYING IT so it's all good. Thanks to YouTube I NEVER miss an episode and love them all. I'd HIGHLY recommend all three of their shows, they're all in peak form right now for sure!

And I still miss "The Colbert Report" but enjoy the few bits of "The Late Show" I've managed to catch since Colbert took over, at least. Didn't know Stewart's moving over to HBO, btw! Pretty excited to see where that leads.

15. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Give him time. He hasn't even done it for a year yet, he has giant shoes to fill, and this is an election year, so he has to cover pretty much American news. Let's see what he can pull off next year after this circus act is done.

16. Rewind

Rewind Giant Memory Stick

News Credits:
    I hated reading this news today. I love the Nightly Show and have grown really fond of him and most of the regulars. Honestly I tuned into Wilmore far more than Trevor's Daily Show.

At least I still have the magnificent Sam Bee and John Oliver to keep me sane.

17. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Gunpla and Cow Master

Larry could always go back to being the SBC for the Daily Show, and bring "Mr Trump" with him.

18. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    He is also producing some other shows. So there are plenty of other things to keep him busy.

19. GoLion

GoLion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought Full Frontal was in trouble too. Maybe I misread that.

I think it was in an article that said something about Colbert not doing too great either.

20. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Jon Stewart will be a guest on the final show tonight. Should be good. :D