The next revolution in Transformers engineering?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by @l3x, Jul 4, 2009.

1. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was just thinking today about the possibilities of making a transformer largely out of silicone. Imagine a new era of Beast wars where the animal skin literally wrapped around the robot parts, or even a vehicle Transformer where the car panels could seamlessly fold over themselves, movie style. It could all be reinforced with gooseneck wiring and internal hinges so it could maintain a rigid structure.

Does this sound possible or desirable to anyone? And could it be affordable to produce? What do you guys think HasTak could do to keep advancing in Transformer engineering?

2. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sounds interesting, but too expenive to produce still.

3. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

That sounds expensive. I was thinking the next advance could be more TFs that can turn their kibble into chairs.

4. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    The biggest problem with that for collectors would be that silicone has a shelf-life. It'd dry-rot over time. If you think GPS is a problem, wait till that stuff starts to break down.

Cool idea though.

5. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm less interested in "the next step" now more than ever before, anyway. I would rather see some things actually come back to TF toys like:

-Rubber tires instead of plastic ones.
    -Chromed parts like Takara does for their Henkei TF's.
    -Better quality plastics.
    -Better paint apps.
    -At least some die-cast parts.
    -The extinction of shoddy gimmicks that get in the way of good solid transformations (i.e. no more automorph, cyber planet keys, mech-alive, etc).
    -A better kind of ball joint, maybe something similar to what Revoltech uses?

And last, but certainly not least:

-Instructions that are actually USEFUL and MAKE SENSE!

6. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Mech-alive isn't as intrusive as Automorph is, but I see what you're getting at. The idea of the better ball joints is good too. It always pisses me off when I get really weak ball joints on my toys, and someone else gets really strong ones.

7. ronin0510

ronin0510 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes sir, I second those.....then lets talk about advancing!

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Definite agreement on the instructions, especially since they could put such things online. The rest become an issue of cost, however, and may simply not be feasible for general release transformers. For the high-end collectors stuff, who knows though?

As for silicone, there's a lot of issues that would come into play. Things such as the thickness of the silicone, as well as its resulting durability while deformed during transformation, as well as cost, and potential issues of bonding to other materials.

It makes me think of the kaiju microman figures that were made a few years ago, though. Silicone as new pretender shells? Could turn out pretty cool.

9. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Silicone gets kinda pricey. Especially when you're into the casting hobby. A very cool idea indeed, but economics wise, it would be a hard sell.

That being said, if anyone could ever pull it off, I would love to see it. It would be a very cool idea for another run at Beast Wars or even human like Pretenders.

10. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

missiles that light up.
    deluxe/voyager w/ lights, maybe sounds
    no backpacks or kibble. unless of course if it looks cool
    remote control deluxe/voyager w/o compromising posability and sleakness
    ......just to mention a few wild ideas

11. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I concur, especially about the rubber wheels (I miss those) and useful instructions. One reason the Movie figures take so damn long for me to transform is I end up staring at instructions wondering what the hell are they telling me to do.

12. Terrorcon Blot

Terrorcon Blot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I personally don't care if rubber tires, chrome, and die cast metal is dead forever.

13. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with you about better quality plastics and paint apps (and just better quality control in general), and I think Revoltech joints could allow for a surprising amount of new transformations, but I'm completely over rubber tires, diecast, and chrome. Every single tire on my RID Prime is cracked, I'm constantly nervous about my MP Prime tipping from his own weight, and the chrome on my BM Jetstorm is completely cracked and ruined.

I'd also like to see them make at least one leader class figure with no gimmick, light or electronics. I'm curious to see just what they could do with a figure that size without eating up so much space/budget on a stupid battery pack.

14. mattjy

mattjy Homobot

I's actually like to see them get rid of their size classes, or at least giving them names. I never understood why 'basic', 'mega' and 'super' became 'scout', 'voyager' and 'leader' when half of the characters in these classes don;t perform those functions!

I'd much rather the sizes depend on vague scale. In know in the movie line it's be hard to have Wheelie and Jefire to exact scale, for example, but by not limiting themselves to standard sizes we could have things like the Arcee bikes being generally smaller than the cars but bigger than Wheelie, Scalpel and Ejector. I'm sure in G1 the toy sizes were all over the place and it pretty much depended on the toy or the sub-group as to what the price was.

Aside from that, it'd rather forgo all the extra gimmicks, electronics etc. and have nicer paint apps, with clear plastic always and only being used for windows and lights, with others parts made from ordinary plastic. Even though the windows on Canon Bumblebee have been painted thaey are still clear plastic and you can see that the door windows are separate pieces attatched to the doors, which looks so much better than the doors being yellow paint on the clear plastic. Just little touches like that would make a lot of difference.

A loss of kibble would be nice too. ROTF leader Prime is so nicely done, but too many of the figures (mainy deluxes), basically look like action figures with the car parts in random places just to get them out of the way. I'd actually prefer a more 'traditional' transformation where alt mode parts become limbs etc. It wouldn't be accurate but none of the toys are anyway, and it might also help the alt modes to stay together more rigedly. We could loose some of the cheats like having fake wheels in bots mode. It kind of takes the wonder and magic out of the transformation!

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Furry flocking on Beast Wars figures! :D 

Although I suppose it would wear bald in places after continued handling. And up the production costs. Maybe for a Masterpiece Beast figure?