The next big fad in Gaming? Retro Games Revitalized...No More Pixels

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by netkid, May 25, 2011.

1. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Algorithm Smooths 8-Bit Pixel Art Into Cute, Bubbly Vector Drawings | Popular Science

Depixelizing Pixel Art: Upscaling Retro 8-bit Games - Technology News by ExtremeTech

Right now motion control, DLC, and 3-D is being pushed to be all the rage, but what's going to come next?

I won't be surprised if this starts being used within a year and it becomes the new fad/rage with old video games, similarly to how Hollywood is currently in love with 3-D. What better an excuse for game companies to once again resell download-ables of their old games than to have them feature "new/depixelized" graphics and tout it as a whole new way to play?

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind playing the original Zelda like this, or Link to the Past, but all the while, part of the charm of these old games is that look. That's why a lot of artists try to emulate the look even now.

3. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    I agree, but I wont be surprised if game companies and publishers push this just so they can make an extra buck reselling old games. If any of them were to, I think Nintendo would be the first to jump on it with their massively popular and time-tested retro titles (and not because their games are used as examples for this new innovation).

4. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    thats actually really cool!

i dunno if itd be the next fad but id love to see some games remade like this :D 

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Looks awful.

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Agreed, make it go away.

7. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

I agree.

Chuck

8. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

The Space Invaders sprites look nice. The Mario World ones not so much. I can see this working best with extremely simple graphics.

9. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If companies want to truly "upscale" 8-bit games, simply leave the pixel density the same, or redraw the sprites. If games like Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix showed anything, it's that people will throw money at a company who goes the extra mile to give the aesthetics a true facelift.

to a lesser extent, look at the XBLA version of Double Dragon. The redrawn art style isn't perfect, and has its detractors, but they clearly put some effort into it and the results look pretty good in HD.

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Looks awful? LOL. If that's what it can actually do, that's just about the opposite of awful. It's like magic.

I don't see myself paying money to use it on games I've already played a bunch of times, but if they can add it to emulators as another selectable filter, go for it.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  11. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    It's not the look of old games that prevents me from playing them any more, it's the unresponsive controls and poor interface management that makes me stop playing them.

I just had a long plane flight and I ran through about 20 different NES games on my psp. Nearly all of them were awful by comparison. I know that's kind of an obvious thing to say with the advancements we've had over the years, but "retro-gaming" (something I find to be done mostly by people who weren't there for the originals) is a seriously over-hyped hobby.

12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'm the opposite - I can't play NES games anymore since they look so awful. I know there are gems that I should be replaying or trying out, but I can't get past the crappy graphics.

SNES is about as far back as I can comfortably go.

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I prefer to see giant hi def pixels. No smoothing, no aliasing, no nothing. Just rerender the sprite as is.

On my PC copy of Another world I render the actual game at super high resolution, but the game itself is still only... 340 x 240? Something like that. Giant super clear pixels.

And I love it. Weird smoothing is weird. :( 

14. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

isn't this type of thing what's been going on ever since super mario all-stars?

15. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

No. Mario All-Stars used completely redrawn graphics that took advantage of the SNES's larger palette. They had the same resolution as the originals though.

16. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

gah, I think I'm missing an essential part of the argument based around the resolution. I've never fully understood upscaling and things of that nature.

17. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    it looks like crap. it almost looks like 2 year old redrawn these sprites. i truly enjoy the 8 to 16 bit look. i kinda miss it. though i was born in the era of n64 and ps I started playing video games on the snes and sega genesis. nothing looks better than super mario world, sonic and knuckles, and link to the past (unless it mgs4 or uncharted).

18. Starfire22

Starfire22 I am dirty dan!

News Credits:
    Honestly why mess up the 16 bit games? They're fine, you don't need to mess up something good, if anything the 8 bit games need the makeover.

19. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    If it ain't broke...don't fix it. I'm happy with retro games having pixels, but to revitalize them without pixels...just takes the magic away from it.

20. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

Depixelizing Pixel Art

Here's a comparison page with a lot more sprites. Unfortunately, the results are not nearly as impressive for most of them. Complex pixel art is generally reduced to a blobby mess. Only very simple images look nice. Space Invaders translate pretty well, as does the Rabite from SoM (but nothing else from SoM seems to). Some of the Bomberman sprites look nice too, and some Windows 3.1 icons, but most of the rest is best left as pixel art.