The new Star Wars??

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by O-PRIME, Jul 14, 2006.

1. O-PRIME

O-PRIME Member

I'm going to be honest with you all...I've been thinking about this...and I believe that this movie and it's sequels may be the next Star Wars...cause to be honest, i'm seeing die hards in a line for a month for this movie. Not me because I wouldn't have a job anymore but..you kinda have to believe this is going to be huge, HUGE!!! I know I can say for myself, unless the movie is horrid...I'm there at least 5 times..at least! If the toys come out at christmas 06, I'm in line at Toys R US, before midnight..sorry all, I believe there is no way this film can be F'd up(with the exception of no Cullen/Welker) with who is behind it...Spielberg...Bay...and the credits of the rest of the production team....guys...this movie is going to be good....if not the new coming of Star Wars!!

p.s....I stand by what I was told about Ludacris...if it turns out not to be true....then I was lied to...wouldn't be the first time...

2. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I got a word for your long lines:

FANDANGO!

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Now THAT'S optimism!

4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Refreshing, isn't it?

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    we already had the next star wars. its was this thing called matrix with that guy from bill n ted.

no forgordsake LOTR was not a new SW.

*throws nerd tantrum*

6. Ger_Hankey

Ger_Hankey Now hiring evil minions

You could actually argue that since the book was there first, Star Wars was the new LOTR.... so then the Matrix trilogy was the newer version of one of the most popular stories in the history of the English language...
    no, wait, that can't be right....

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    LOTR cant be the old SW since its not even a trilogy.

the hobbit and silmarillionwhatever, hello?

haha, i'm a nerd.

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

LOTR is technically 6 books.

But Pirates of the Caribbean is the new Star Wars.

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    hmm...

twin twist has point.

*goes an ponders*

10. Ger_Hankey

Ger_Hankey Now hiring evil minions

Actually, (just to out-nerd you both), LOTR was written as one book, then published as six books, then three books and then back to one book.

And you might be right about Pirates. But what will that make the Star Wars TV show when its made? the new TJ Hooker?

11. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    TF being the new Star Wars is a VERY nice thought, but I can't make that judgement until 7.4.7. If the CGI is revolutionary, like the Matrix was, than I can this being the new SW.

Remember, one of the reasons SW was so big was because of its use of models. If the CGI is poorly done (which I doubt, we're talking about ILM here), then this movie WILL FLOP.

You know why everyone in the new SW prequels sucks at acting, but only in THOSE movies? BECAUSE TOO MUCH GREEN SCREEN WAS USED! Imagine trying to act like you are on an alien world, but it's represented by green curtains and green blocks.

So, another key element for the success of this film is the ability of the actors to react to what is not their during production. And we all know how secretive Bay has been; the actors have their work cut out for them. But you can't make millions of dollars without having to work hard.

12. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I think you're right. In terms of marketing, sensationalism and the ability to play that film to a young audience, yeah - the Pirates franchise has the same marketing juggernaut capabilities that Star Wars had when it was coming into its own.

Oh and, ya know what? I agree. I sure as hell hope this movie knocks everyone flat. I hope this film's story, special effects, plot and marketability come together in one nice, marvelous package and wows the fandom - and the moviegoing community - with such striking effectiveness that it ends up being the next Star Wars, culturally and cinematically. I have that much enthusiasm for Transformers. I hope the rest of the world gets a chance to share a bit of that enthusiasm.

13. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Lets face it, there will not be a "next Star Wars" until, well, the next Star Wars.

As much as I love TFs I don't see them making the leap that SW did.

SW came almost out of nowhere. To a genre that few were interested in. I honestly can't believe that there will ever be another "Star Wars" type impact.

14. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

QFT

I don't picture it either.

Not saying Transformers will be a flop,it'll be like every other Sci-Fi/Comic book film released in the past few years

See Star Wars was revolutionary for it's time much like Toy Story was*IIRC Toy Story was the first fully CGI movie*I don't picture Transformers 2007 being that revolutionary

15. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    As much as I love the first posters non-jaded view on the movie, I don't think that Transformes will be the next Star Wars.

Lets face it even EP 1-3 were not the new Star Wars.

The problem is that the Matrix has changed us all too believe what an action movie s/b. The only difference with the transformers is the subject material, which should of course, give this movie the edge.

16. zopilote_z

zopilote_z Well-Known Member

To be fair, to be like Star Wars, the TF movie should be a revolutionary, out-of-nowhere, how-they-did-it movie like no one else has seen before, like Sw was in 1978. Tf is more in Line with LOTR, ┬┤cause is an already known mithology with several representations in movies and TV and a fan base already built. But a fresh retale alas the Mummy or King Kong can do wonders too, to make the cultural phenomenon TF already is, grow exponentially bigger.

(Hope my English was good enough for the last lecture)

17. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    I think it's funny the way people talk about, " there is no way this film can be F'd up(with the exception of no Cullen/Welker)" I mean, as insanely fanwank cool as it would be to have them in the movie, the Transformers franchise does not, in fact, rest of the backs of Welker and Cullen. I am certain that Bay will do whatever he feels is best for the movie.

18. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Maybe not, but the prequels didn't have to be revolutionary to make a buttload of money.

If you compare the Transformers movie to the prequels, there are a lot of parallels:

1. 20-30-year-old age group that remembers and appreciates the nostalgia of the Transformers, was initially drawn in by the first marketing blitz and still actively participates in a fan community (similar to the SW prequels, which had 20 years to foster a fanbase and accumulate a "retro" culture tag along with its nerd stigma...
    2. 5-12 age group that can be drawn in by mass-marketing, clever product placement and contests, etc. (similar to the prequels, which marketed a rather large portion of their products to kids)
    3. A simple enough storyline that involves explosions, revelations and characters that appeal to a wide age group...
    4. Big-name backers who are ready to make as much out of the film as they can, before and after the box-office release...

Sure, it may not be as cinematically revolutionary as we're all hoping it will be. That'd, admittedly, suck. However, it has all the trappings of a SUPER-marketable film, which may do just as good a job of selling it to folks outside the fandom as our promotion as superfans would.

Here's an interesting question:

If the movie turns out to be generally unappealing to US - to the FANDOM - and yet it floats fairly enough at the box office and sells a shitload of merchandise and toys just based on the cultural appeal, is that enough to consider it a hit? And I'm not just talking about within the science fiction community, I'm talking about a "hit" in the context of any general, summer blockbuster (similar to how "Pirates of the Carribean" was all right as a film but the marketing and publicity of it really put that film and its sequel front & center in the media.)

19. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

For the record The Matrix sucked....

20. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    No no, the first one was a pretty sound movie (technically and storywise), the OTHER TWO Matrix movies sucked.