the new generation....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eyeballkid, Aug 31, 2006.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I'm 26....I follow this board...as I do others....with the advent of the internet...why is negativity abound? It happens' here, it is prevailent on A.I.C.N.....almost every board I glance at....negativety....do these poeple have jobs! Do people that post on the internet have such crappy jobs that the vent their frustations on the 'net?

Has it always been like this?

The recent influx of newbies are, for the most part...negative....what gives....?

P.S....I know the answer...

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    why...do you...talk with...dramatic pause? jim?

3. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    He... just... finished watching... the... original... Star Trek series. :) 

I'm not negative on boards, but if you strike at me, I strike back. As for this place, there is just a lot of people "upset" over the direction the live action movie is taking and how it is "raping their childhood." Yeah, I know, it is a running gag, but get the **** over it! PLEASE!

4. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    I dunno. They are toys, so yeah. There are plenty of other things to get mad at.

5. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

We are bitter bitter children who never grew up. ;) 

6. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Damn Straight!

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You think there is negativity about the movies. Try visiting a political board. Nothing but hatred and loathing there. The movie complaints are small potatoes by comparison.

I for one don't see what all the negativity is about. It is giant f'ing robots that turn into vehicles.

8. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I think it probably has something to do with being anonymous.

I started going to other sites to see what was new (during RID). I never really knew that there were boards that were completely devoted to transformers and the collectors. I guess there are al lot of people who collect different toys for different reasons and they are quite passionate about it.

I know there are a few people on this board who I generally agree with and some I don't and for some poster, especially noobs, the fact that they are in front of a computer, rather in front of your face changes how people behave.

What is your answer?

9. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Not nearly enough fiber in some people's diets.

10. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Because some people need little excuse to go off on rant about something that was 22 years ago.

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I like to think of it like this:

Back before the internet, people would just be assholes to one another when they could (which was, usually, not often.) The rise of the internet means more folks get to be dicks more often with less consequences, bringing all of the assholes out of the woodwork.

By the way, what's your answer? You said "PS...I know the answer" or something, and I'd be entertained to find out what your take is.

12. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Even if you figure that 1 person in 20 is a dick (probably a low estimate), when you have hundreds or thousands of people posting, that's a lot of dicks. All it takes is one to start a pissing match, and there will be plenty of the other 19 willing to take him up on the challenge.

Again, all this is made possible because of the anonymity. Even most dicks are careful to censor themselves around casual associates, let alone friends, family or coworkers.

This site generally had few tooth-and-nail rows in the past because most of us have been posting here for years and are somewhat familiar with each other. Many have met at conventions, shows, or meetups. Thus the normal social boundaries are operating somewhat closer to normal parameters. But with hundreds of new people popping in, that's a lot of dicks with no ties to anyone, and no history. They have no trouble unloading, and as strangers, we have little trouble hitting back.

Things are even worse at a place like AICN. To start it has many, many more readers, and thus that many more dicks. The format makes it even worse.

Message boards like these tend to offer more socialization. Avatars and signatures make it somewhat more personal, and easy to identify a poster. Topics of interest can keep getting bumped for weeks or months, allowing the discussion to grow and develop. And there are off-topic forums for more sociable chats that allow us to get to know each other.

AICN essentially gives you a drive by debate. Post a new topic, drop in state your opinion, and move on. No matter how many posts it gets, it'll be gone in a few days, so people rehash the same topic a week later under a new thread. It becomes and endless cycle of grandstanding.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Most of those movie designs have very little to do with Transformers. I don't think MegaMouth is good enough to wear the Transformers brand name. I don't mind Prime. He's better than Megatron.

I'm not going to stop expressing negative opinions about aspects of this hobby that I don't like. That's what this board is here for. I attack the inferior product, but not my fellow fans. And I have found something to like about every series. I'm sure the movie will be no different. Just because it's a movie and not a TV series is no reason to lower the quality bar.

14. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    People that sit on the internet all day, posting tirades on various forums obviously don't have enough time to get laid. Or maybe they're on the internet because they're not getting laid? Either way, they're sexually repressed.

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    And those that post *while* getting laid? ROCK STARS.

16. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

People have always been negative. They just now have a place to express that negativity where people can't wander away.

17. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

*goes to find wifey......*

18. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I'm glad you asked...but people don't respond to REAL answers....hence the black matter thread.....I could say stuff...but people refuse to read it...or respond....

19. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

:rolleyes2 

In before Fuzzy.

20. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Amen to that.