The -NEW- END ALL BE ALL Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GogDog, Dec 1, 2011.

1. soundwave144

soundwave144 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like that, soundwave gets paid regardless...my man...

that's a kuul photo. sized perfectly, with the untrust-worthy schemer in the background.
    :lol 

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    So, I'll chime in here with my own speculation. The following is just educated guesses based upon what I've seen thus far, and nothing more. At most, the past is often the best predictor of the future, and when I do any kind of forecasting of things like this, it's generally the most reliable source. So here goes:

Megatron version 2.0 - it's just a matter of time. TakaraTomy has no issue with making Megatron a Walther P-30 either. I'll even say that the Hegemon figure is somewhat of an indicator of things to come. A trend I've seen is that since MP-10, there has been at least some kind of responsiveness from TakaraTomy and Hasbro in regards to third party items. Mainly, some actions are an attempt to squash third party offerings. MP-11 was released not shortly after the Igear 1984 Seeker trio, which means it was in the works while the Wheel_Jack/Igear Coneheads are made and sold. While I think a G2 Megatron (tank) is less likely, MP G2 Sideswipe gives more credence to the concept as well. But I'd really push my chips all in on this bet.

Ultra Magnus - We've all read the interviews and the Tweets. We've even seen the mockup and basically the request directly to the fandom "Would you buy this?" with the resounding "YES". Just like Megatron, I feel that this is also just a matter of time. In fact, I'd even go so far to say that Magnus here could be the main 30th celebratory item from TakaraTomy. The cab is already molded, so some of that work is done. I'll push my chips in on this one as well. I'll put in a fanboy wish that's a good indicator as well - Powered Convoy. A straight redeco and a further homage to Diaclone. That's a no-brainer to me, regardless of my biases.

The remainder of the 1984/1985 G1 "Show" cast - This is where it starts to get a little tricky. Here's a rundown, and I'll post my thoughts on each:

The "Minibots"

Bumble[bee] - Confirmed for 2014
    Cliff[jumper] - Retool of Bumble, but using the licensed Porsche
    Gong/Gongu[Brawn] - Strong possibility/reuse as "Outback" makes this viable
    Gears - Strong possibility/reuse as "Swerve" makes this very likely given the IDW popularity
    [Wind]Charger - Strong possibility/reuse as "Tailgate" makes this very likely given the IDW popularity
    Drag[Huffer] - almost saw a release with MP-10/would have been an "accessory" to MP-10 Convoy. Most likely with the success of the current MP line, a new design will be made.

Autobots:

Streak - Confirmed for 2013
    Hound - If this character is in Transformers 4, that would strengthen the possibility of the release. There's not real licensing hurdles here, though. Just a matter of time and timing.
    Meister - Fan favorite, just a matter of time
    Lambor - Created Fall of 2012
    Ligier[Mirage] - Already rumored, Diaclone redeco possibility (see Powered Convoy, as a red Ligier was included in the Powered Convoy gift set). A "G2 redeco would be fun as well.
    Prowl - Confirmed for 2013
    Ratchet - Strong possiblity/reuse for Ironhide
    Sunstreaker - Strong possibility given the popularity of Lambor. Reuses as Police and red redecos would homage Diaclone.
    Trailbreaker - I'm going to put this one at 70/30. I do think that the usage of IDW/Generations Trailcutter[breaker] is a deliberate attempt to put the character back out into the public mind's eye. Reuse as Hoist does strengthen the possibility. Blue and yellow redecos would homage the Diaclone line, but these would be exclusives of some sort at best.
    Wheeljack - Confirmed for 2014
    Tracks - No licensing issues. Reuse as Road Rage is a Diaclone homage. Possibility here is fairly strong.
    [Red]Alert - Created Fall of 2012
    Smokescreen - Confirmed for 2013
    Skids - Same as Trailbreaker with the IDW popularity and the Generations toy release. Still, not as strong of a possibility as some may think. However, a Crosscut could be a second reusage that would be another Diaclone.
    Inferno - I really believe this one isn't as likely. A reuse/retool as Grapple does make it a bit more possible. I'm going to throw this one at a 60/40 simply in favor of how TakaraTomy is going about this cast.

Broadcast[Blaster] - I think it's a very strong possibility we'll get this one. Reason? Soundwave and cassettes.
    Perceptor - Probably one we could do without, but I can see this one being done as well, especially given his role in the death of Optimus Prime as well as his further inclusion of season three.

Convoy - Well, the MP-10 really started this whole thing, didn't it? :) 

I'll be back later to do the Destrons[Decepticons] :) 

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  3. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Shockwave not leadership material? I'm thinking somone hasn't read any comics.......

Shockwave is a brutal bastard in that continuum who handed Megatron his ass.

4. OptimushedPrune

OptimushedPrune Impressive Member

News Credits:
    I was thinking the same thing, I can still remember him pretty much wiping all the autobots out early on in the comics.

5. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So what would Trailbreaker come with? A satellite?
    [​IMG]

Or his trusty force field? And how would they go about making that add-on?
    Yellow ball, or wall?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, no - Shockwave simply outwitted Megatron, taking full advantage of his injuries. Later in the comics (issue 25), Shockwave ducked a direct challenge from Megatron.

Shockwave behaves like those typical sci-fi robots - cold and calculating. Megatron is the brutal one.

Anyway, Megatron 2.0 is a sure lock. There's really no way TakaraTomy won't release him. The question is why? I hope we get him soon because thete's no character villainous to go against MP10 for me. Well...maybe Galvatron?

With regards to G2 Sideswipe...I recall his head was red. I hope TakaraTomy changes the colour if they have not done so by now.

7. OptimushedPrune

News Credits:
    Shockwave also took on all 5 dinobots in the comics and gave as good as he got.

8. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Agreed, for the most part. I wouldn't exactly say Wheeljack and Bumblebee are definitively confirmed until Takara-Tomy makes an official announcement about them and they simply haven't yet (despite BBTS preorders for the figures but I wouldn't take that as being gospel).

9. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Excitement! My Style!!!

News Credits:
    I've read some but none of the stories really stand out to me. I know people on this forum know a lot about him, but the only thing I do know is that he got his ass handed to him by female autobots and let Spike & Carly wreak havoc in his HQ which is why Megatron left him as the babysitter.

10. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    That's in the sunbow cartoon I believe......

11. dannyboy76

dannyboy76 "It's all in the wrist"

Great read.

12. OptimushedPrune

News Credits:
    Shockwave was on earth not long after the ark crashed in the comics and landed in the savage lands after which the ark woke the 5 dinobots and sent them after him and he pretty much kicked their asses but they all got trapped in a tar pit or got buried or something like that, and after he re-awoke he wasted all the autobots that were left and took Prime's head , so in the comics he's pretty bad ass.

13. DogFriedRice

DogFriedRice Well-Known Member

Credit to the female Autobots. Also, the cartoon is ver inconsistent when it comes to power levels.

Shockwave is second only to Megatron.

Repainted Optimus Prime as a Decepticon? Sounds awfull...no thanks

Voltron isn't a Transformer.

Shockwave is the logical leader when Megatron is on holiday.

Also, I prefer a Toyworld Megatron to an MP one anyday.

14. OptimushedPrune

News Credits:
    I'm a bit surprised Toyworld haven't upscaled Hegemon to fit the MP line I could see them selling a shit load.

15. VoiceActorDream

VoiceActorDream Well-Known Member

If only he had an evil smirk or a traditional grim mouth, not a fan of the weir half screaming head. After the success of Quakewave I think FansToys would be great candidates to bring Megatron to justice.

16. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Hegemon never has really reminded me of G1 Megs, the closest thing is still MP-05. If anything I'm surprised nobody has done a downscaled version of MP-05 with a slightly better head and some improvements in the execution. That is essentially what I would like to see with Megs v2.

17. dannyboy76

dannyboy76 "It's all in the wrist"

It would probably be the first 3rd party figure I'd buy if it were MP-10 size. I can wait for an official Shockwave and official coneheads, but the wait for Megatron is getting me edgy.

18. Enterlaw

Enterlaw Well-Known Member

Soundwave is an excellent lieutenant and easily a cross between the Prowl/Perceptor roll in the Decepticon Leadership. He's SUPER logical, incredibly strong, and ridiculously powerful (his FLYING ray gun mode is ridiculously powerful at projecting MULTIPLE types of energy).

HOWEVER, not unlike Soundwave, he has very little charisma on his own. No one wants to follow the boring, logic-based nerd, no matter HOW powerful he is. He's never going to waste an iota of fuel/time or allow the robots under him to do so unless the odds are in his favor. And since most of the Decepticons are psychopaths, they're going to bristle at this. Megatron knows this and would allow his troops to take anyone on regardless (unless they're supposed to be following a plan), heck, so would Starscream.

Shockwave IS badass in the sense that he acts totally without remorse, fair play, honor, etc. If its in his way, it's dust. But he's way more of a political player than a leader, and, at least over the last few years in the comics, seems to be ok following under the lightning rod that is Megatron as long as he gets the space he wants to do his own thing. Let Starscream throw himself against those rocks for the giant target that is Leader of the 'cons, Shockwave looks after himself.

And, although he DID take out the Autobots in issue #4 (in a 4-part limited series that went on for another 80 issues), they were weakened. At least him taking on all 5 of the Dinobots (in two different comic continuities, no less), arguably successfully, is WAY more of a badass example.

Different point/question - Nice analysis of what could be coming next. One point I'd like to make is that, unTIL they're announced, I'd question whether there's no licensing issue. Just because TT has received licenses from, say, GM, in the past, doesn't mean that they automatically have one in the future. Now, I don't KNOW what type of licensing deals TT/Hasbro makes, but I would imagine they're VERY narrow and finite (ours are, and the rule is to always assume the other side is at LEAST as stringent with their IP as we are with ours).

The other point is, I think there are easily good odds, for some of the season 3/movie characters. How amazing would a cartoon accurate Cyclonus be? Right, THAT amazing.

19. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

I assume you meant Shockwave in the first paragraph. I agree with just about everything you said. That's a great description of Shockwave and Soundwave both. Both are intelligent, powerful, and calculating. But I don't think either could lead due to low charisma. They couldn't hold the Decepticons together like Megatron could. Then again, neither could Starscream. He's my favorite Decepticon, but let's be honest. He's not scary enough to keep the others in line. He'd either be replaced or the whole group would factionalize into separate groups.

As to a Masterpiece Cyclonus...well, as much as I want to see S1 and S2 characters first, you are right that a well done Cyclonus could easily make the best MP of every character available. He's just that cool.

20. Enterlaw

Enterlaw Well-Known Member

I DID mean Shockwave, not Soundwave.

Soundwave, I feel, IS very similar to Shockwave, but might be a more "pure" Decepticon. More of a political believer. He's never really seemed to have his own agenda. I'm not saying he isn't on top of holding his power, he just doesn't seem to want more than for the Decepticons to win. He supports Megatron over other b/c he believes Megatrons the best 'bot for the job. Still, I also think that, if another leader were "better" than Megatron, he'd work that angle. He's not loyal to the robot, but to the cause.

Starscream would be a better Decepticon leader if peace existed between the factions. He's a political/schemer type. He lacks the psychopathic urge to destroy all that so many of his brethren embrace.