The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

I'm passing on MP36+
    If I'm going to spend that much money on a figure, I have to like the aesthetics. I just don't like the way this figure looks. It's the same reason I passed on the Coneheads.

I am getting MP29+ tho.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    Toon guy as well, so I'll pass, but have to say that it looks nice and I'm glad for those who want him, such as @HolyCulture. I'm still waiting for more news on Hound and Optimus Prime v3...

• Like Like x 3
  3. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    A toy version of the new prime would be absolutely destroy the toon verison IMO.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MP-36+ might end up an impulse purchase. I wouldn't mind an extra Megs to keep in gun mode. That said, I haven't even preordered MP-29+ yet and am more interested in that anyways. I'd feel better if I knew for sure toy redecos would become a thing going forward (though it would make me regret not getting toy colors FT Scoria in hindsight, even if the idea of attaching another clear toy head makes me cringe), so right now there's no urgency to go after it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Boy, you could be onto something:

[​IMG]

(amazing digibash by @chchchch)

After seeing the gorgeous tampos in-hand on Artfire, it's almost impossible to resist 36+. Was chatting with my brother about it (we both wanted Megatron as kids). He said if I'm gonna get an eventual OPv3+, then I've gotta have a Megatron to go up against him.
    He ain't wrong folks, he ain't wrong.

• Like Like x 10
  6. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Thanks @Sam !!! I have to admit I didn't care much about a possible toy version, then the more I looked at it while doing the digibash, I really started to love the idea. While I still probably won't buy it personally, I absolutely cannot wait for the photos of V3+ squaring off against 36+!! The depressing part is realizing that's probably well over a year off :( 

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    What really sold me from your digibash (which is so brilliantly done) is seeing him in those poses. I always wanted my original G1 toy to be that well-articulated, just as much as I wanted it to look like the cartoon. To be getting both options in two awesome figures will be incredible.
    If we get OPv3+ before the end of 2021 I'll be thrilled. Definitely not expecting him right away, he may not even be the first repaint (hoping so, though).

• Like Like x 3
  8. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Well, I'm honored! I'm lucky there's so many photos of his head out there from every possible angle :)  But I totally hear you on the articulation. That was always the most frustrating aspect of the original toys for me, as great as they were. And Prime was more articulated than most! So yeah, having something that looks like the original but can do more than a half-hearted running pose would scratch a major childhood itch I didn't know I had!

Am I right that there's not much difference between Battle Convoy and G1 Prime; basically just lack of insignia? So we would probably not get a separate Diaclone repaint?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    I believe you're right, small differences like the grey roller were still present on the original Transformers release of Optimus too, from what I've read.

Since they've left the trailer blank (no moulded Autobot insignia on the side), it's still possible to plater BATTLE CONVOY DIACLONE along the side

[​IMG]

I wondered if they might make a Battle Convoy with the new revamped Diaclone line:

[​IMG]

But OPv3 more than scratches that itch, and maybe they're avoiding TF designs in that line.

• Like Like x 6
  10. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Ah yes, I did forget about the trailer.

11. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As the pic from Sam above points out, yeah there's little difference between Diaclone BC and Optimus. Same for Starscream and its Diaclone original (like Battle Convoy, some additional/different stickers and that's largely it), so there's only so much to gain there from a release.

That said, IF Takara ever wanted to do a nice little homage to the Diaclone lines and its role in the franchise's history (probably around an anniversary of Diaclone's), aside from actual reissues, I wouldn't totally rule out the possibility of V3 Convoy and either MP-11 or a V3 Seeker mold being released as Diaclone versions. I would imagine they'd have to be exclusives or some other limited run release, but it's Takara, so it's plausible.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HolyCulture

HolyCulture Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well.... I disagree haha. We haven’t even seen the toy yet. Both color palattes will be spectacular for sure.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    that's the point bro.

A toy version would be absolutely beautiful, the toon palette even though we've not seen it yet, i'm sure it won't be that spectacular.

However, a toy version that resembles something that it's just more iconic and recogniceable.....it's just on a whole other level.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure the more iconic version is the toon version:D . I never had Prime or Megatron as a kid, at most between 84-86 I probably had about 10 total. While I appreciated them and my precious 84,85 catalogs, the toys were always fill-ins compared to the characters onscreen.

• Like Like x 7
  15. Toddimus

Toddimus Well-Known Member

I think the Diaclone Battle Convoy had some kind of a shoulder cannon as well. Or at least I'm pretty sure I have seen some versions with a shoulder cannon.

• Like Like x 2
  16. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmm, woder if they would go with the Battle Convoy as the toy version repaint. That would most definitely hit the sweet spot with Japanese collectors and is different enough from the original 3.0 release to work. If the rumors are true or not about Mirage and Jazz, they could drop that in 2020 with Red Sunstreaker and TB/Hoist as I think they were the first two releases.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And now, the NEW new wrinkle: BBTS's listing for MPM-8 has been removed. That 8500 yen price is looking more likely... oh hai MPM Jazz!

• Like Like x 1
  18. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

MP36 Megatron
    MP36+ Megatron
    Cyberverse Megatron
    Siege Megatron
    Studio Series Megatron
    MP BW Megatron

Yea, I'm hoping MPM08 turns out to be Jazz and not Megatron.
    I need a tiny breakatron in the Megatron windfall.
    How humorous would it be if MPM10 ended up being the anti-MP10?

MPM10 Megatron to MP10 Optimus :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  19. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

In all my many years following Masterpiece, I have to say the out-and-out, zero dark-thirty LULL from what happened with them at the toy fairs over the summer to the situation now, almost in November, is the weirdest phenomenon I've witnessed.

On any other year, there would've been a veritable explosion of follow up mag spreads and release date info (and in full colour, as opposed to the one extended glimpse of the grey proto we got for Prime.) The fact that Hound was unveiled coloured up and ready for his trade mag close-ups is even more unusual.

I mean, I've hardly posted since late summer, which says its own story.

Bee movie, BW/MPM's, repaints/retools they already had on the slate? There are many avenues we can speculate as to why their attention suddenly went south but ultimately?
    Why it suddenly went deader than the dodo is a mystery to me ... :tumbleweed: 

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 8
  20. Emperor Bruticus IV

Emperor Bruticus IV Destron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    @Such Heroic Nonsense My sentiments are the same.

Logically... I think there's very few things that could delay a finished Hound x a near finished OP from getting a number.
    I don't have a great obsession with this character like the majority of our fandom but to me this is a good indicator that we may have gotten the Jazz green light from Porsche.
    Me being Takara would pull a few resources away from Hound's production and throw Jazz into full gear before the wind has a chance to change/expensive license expires.
    Again, being in Takara's shoes I would then make some adjustments on how I roll out Optimus, Jazz rolling out the trailer on box art could a solid touch in strategic marketing etc.

This is all just a hunch/theory, something is no doubt amiss.

• Like Like x 3