The -NEW- END ALL BE ALL Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GogDog, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Megatronus27

Megatronus27 Well-Known Member

If that is the strategy for selling Minis, I'll stick with IGear. I have zero interest after S1, and I'm not paying $80+ for Brawn, Gears, Windcharger, or Huffer. Together at $100 I'd bite on BB and CJ. Anything more and I'd have to really think about it.

You've convinced me tho; keep my Cogz Pre-Order! Thanks for everyone's thoughts!

2. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Not trying to argue with you personally afm, but that seems to me like circular logic. Is the G1 mold really exempt from legal repercussions simply because it was never legally licensed? Just because it escaped previous licensing back in the '80s doesn't stop VW objecting to it going on sale as a new product in the Encore line, surely?

What I'm getting at is that TT seem to be free to use the 'VW likeness' of G1 Bumblebee without legal problems; and that lack of problems with the G1 mold means that VW are ok with that 'look' for a Bumblebee alt-mode. Ergo, that exact same alt-mode look, reused as a MP, should also be ok with them. Obviously it would mean we have to have an exact likeness of the G1 car, but I think we'd all rather have that if the alternative is nothing at all...

3. D307

D307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Put the Minibots in two packs, possibly 4 packs, and then put the Insecticons and Reflector in 3 packs. Kill 3-4 birds with one stone! :thumbs2: 

4. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

I don't think that would make sense, actually. I'd rather they release the mini-bots at a lower price ($40-$50?) reflecting the smaller size but high quality of the figure, and then release repaints. I have no problem if they want to milk the molds, because then I can buy what I want and they can get the income they need.

5. afmultiverse

afmultiverse Banned

I dont mean to argue either, but the time that has passed between the 80s and now do make a difference.

the Internationale likeness and trademark laws were different back then, licensing seems to not have been need at the time.and under the current laws/rules, there are provisions for REISSUES of older toys that are grandfathered in under the old guidelines.

but a new toy mold is just a different animal

6. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

Yup, I did. Microman made a very poor representation of a Porsche 924, and for some reason a few people on this thread believe that now Takara must slavishly make Cliffjumper into a real 924... despite the fact that Takara has stated that they are striving for screen accuracy. Cliffjumper looked more like a VW than a Porsche in both toy and animated form.

And Enterlaw thanks for the legal advice, but frankly it isn't very good. I could take as little as two different car models, mash them together, and as long as that car manufacturer hasn't previously made my mismatch... I can get away with it.

7. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Fair enough. :thumb  Damn shame Hastak never made a Masterpiece Bumblebee back in the '80s and they could just reissue it! ;) 

I guess the next question then is how much do TT have to alter BB's car mode before it ceases to be a 'likeness' of a VW Beetle? I mean the Disney Donald Duck TF is basically a Beetle, but they squeezed that one through.

8. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They're really not....they're saying that CJ was a deformed 924 turbo, which he WAS, and that repainting a BB red does not make it CJ, their alt forms aren't even close to similar (beyond the chibi aesthetic). The basic skeleton could be used since the base transformation is the same, but CJ is undeniably a 924 turbo.

Yes a normal 924 would look daft as hell as CJ, but a chibi one....well son, that's exactly what the original Cliffjumper was and what his Masterpiece should be. The idea is he's a penny racer imagining of the 924 turbo, do you get that?

I won't comment on your armchair law versus enterlaw's actual law.

@Opt Timelord- you make a good point there. The DD tf is fairly similar, even in deformity, to Bumblebee...though missing several chassis details BB has. It might be cutting it fine, but given that I don't think it unlikely that TT could get away with it.

9. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

To us, maybe. But like Ken was saying, over on the other side of the pond those kind of vehicles are much more common. His posted pic of a Fiat 500 isn't all that different than a Beetle either... See his comment below.

That would be a cool feature...listing in your profile how many people have you blocked.

10. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's exactly what I'm hoping for when it comes to the mini guys as well. 3-Packs of Insecticons & Reflector, and 2-Packs of the core Autobots... in random character combos to keep it interesting and (for Takara to) secure as many sales as possible without people cherry picking...

Bumblebee/Gears
    Cliffjumper/Beachcomber
    Brawn/Seaspray
    Warpath/Cosmos
    Powerglide/Wheelie
    Huffer/Windcharger

Then if they're bored, throw out the "other guys" ala Pipes, Outback, Swerve, Tailgate, etc.

11. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

I get that Microman TOLD you CJ was a Porsche, but after they deformed it... legally it ceased to be a Porsche. It doesn't even look like a Porsche to me, but that's my opinion.

And it is wise of you not to comment on my armchair law. Apparently you haven't noticed that the classics Sunstreaker/Sideswipe and Jazz molds are a mismatch of actual Lamborghinis and Porsche models respectively. But there are no Lambos or Porsches which look like the combined models Has/Tak created.

12. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was going to reply, but I cannot even be arsed to argue with such a block of wood. Have a nice day, add another number to the hundreds of members that have blocked you.

If anyone ever quotes the guy so I can see it, I will hurt you :p 

13. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

Pretty much this I don't really care for the season three mini bots but I do want two packs.

14. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Would it be great if TT decides to make Mirage and then provide us with sticker sheets so we can arbitrarily stick them sponsor stickers however we want it?

That would be a legal loophole we can look into. But I am no intellectual property expert.

Hey, Enterlaw, any thoughts on that?

15. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I'm curious how that would work. Worst comes to it, they could just release Mirage sans sponsors, and leave it to Reprolabels to sort that out. I'd be totally up for that, since we then wouldn't have different, fake sponsors. AND I wouldn't have "Meister" plastered across Jazz's windscreen :p  (since it could obviously also be done for Jazz and possibly Wheeljack).

16. Furyan

Furyan Furyanicon

News Credits:
    Anyone else want a Hound? Im dying for an MP version of him..

17. Skywarp181

Skywarp181 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I want hound, mirage wheeljack

18. b-r0ck

b-r0ck Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    YES!

19. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd LOVE an MP Hound. I'm banking on us getting one to be honest, as I can see no good reason for us not to. He will be glorious, though I want a Mirage to go next to him as, for some reason, I always see those two hanging out together.

Question for you though- if/when they did/do Hound, what would you rather have- silver face/forearms/thighs, or cartoon-accurate pale pale green? Tricky one I think, but I'd like the latter. It'd make him even more unique.

ALSO...on the bus ride home from work today I saw a new Toyota Hilux. It looked fantastic. Tis a sign folks!

20. Sludge

Sludge Forged to Fight username: Roybot

News Credits:
    That would be sweet! I love the G1 toys but even I can admit Hound's toy sucked balls. A Masterpiece version would be really cool.