The -NEW- END ALL BE ALL Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GogDog, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Where'd all the Hound rumors come from? He's been strongly rumored for a couple years, I believe. Any word from that source/sources on what's going on?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

You mean recent rumors?

Man, I would love an update from those in the know.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well Planet-Iacon had the welcome aboard Hound post......and Takara proceeded to announce MP BW Megatron. I take it they had something fairly reliable at the time.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Tenebre

Tenebre Horrorcon

If it's true that Takara has backed away from Movie/S3 characters, that's a shame. I think Galvatron will get made because he's a leader, and then of course V2 Rodimus at some point. Anything other than that...who knows. Remember when we all thought Galvatron or Kup or Arcee were imminent because of the Hot Rod and Ultra Magnus reissues?

I love Sharkticons too, and I'd definitely be in for an MP (several, really). I think the chances of an official MP are zero, however. Because of Takara's reluctance to do Movie characters, and the fact that a Sharkticon would be waaaaay down on the list even if they started doing more of those characters.

I'd prefer Takara releases, but before 3Ps close up shop on G1 MPs (not that I think that's likely), I'd want a good Blitzwing and Astrotrain. The current options don't cut it for me. Oh, and a better Warpath than the Badcube one.

• Like Like x 7
  5. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm basing that idea on the fact that the only new releases on that set since MP-28 have been a repaint with MP-40 and a rerelease. The rerelease of MP-09 is the same, and from Hasbro Asia to boot, so not really compelling evidence of intent. There's been no strong rumours of Blurr, Kup, or Arcee either, and despite Galvatron's popularity, nothing really compelling on him. Supposedly MP-40 did well, so maybe that will turn it around, but it's tough to say. I could see them try another smaller character first to minimize risk if they're a bit gunshy before someone massive like Galvatron.

I don't doubt they'll do any of them, but if we're being honest, that's exactly the kind of behaviour that suggests that a set has been pushed to the side. It's a shame, but it also looks to be a reality.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I think all will happen. Blitz is already announce by FT, though being reworked. I'm sure there will be a couple options for Astrotrain (not counting the junk versions already available) and at least one show accurate Warpath.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Curious about this myself

• Like Like x 2
  8. ShawnBerger4Mayor1985

ShawnBerger4Mayor1985 Shawn Berger Campaign Manager

If they had backed off Movie/S3 characters to focus on S1/S2 characters, I'd be fine with the decision. If they have backed off Movie/S3 characters to focus on BW/MPM characters, as appears to be the case, that is definitely a shame.

As for Sharkticons, Gnaw is actually my most wanted Movie MP! With only Kup as a close second. But yeah, don't expect Gnaw to ever happen though...

Preferred smaller Movie character:

[​IMG]

Likely TT choice for smaller Movie character:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  9. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I doubt they would feel squeamish about releasing Galvatron, much like Jazz he's a character people have been waiting for the longest, maybe even longer since the reboot. I wouldn't be surprised to hear his number called in 2019 or the very beginning of 2020.

• Like Like x 4
  10. BWfan86

News Credits:
    Wth is that mutant looking thing in the second pic?

11. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    wheelie,his g1 toy looked like that

• Like Like x 1
  12. ILoveLuci4

ILoveLuci4 Well-Known Member

O-Kayyy.

Sounds like I'm in your generation (born in '76). I LOVE Beast Wars, and like Beastie Megatron even more than Movie Galvatron.

I'm guessing this was supposed to be more of a jab at Beast Wars, those who like it, and/or what you assumed were younger fans/collectors.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly, this is why I think 3rd parties can still have field days for years with the remaining G1 characters, they're all too niche for Takara to consider, but 3rd parties can make a nice profit on them with their lower production runs.

Smaller? Sharkticons were roughly the same size as Hot Rod and Kup, just in a rounder shape. Takara wouldn't market a Sharkticon for any less than current carbot pricing, and with their mass, a price tag as high as $140 doesn't seem unthinkable. At that cost, and given their relative obscurity, they aren't worth doing.

14. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

I didn't really want to resurrect that whole Galvatron thing but in answer to your question: more my own perception of the line than wishing to disparage its fans (who after all kept TF in all its many incarnations going) by virtue of the fact that I had outgrown my initial love affair with TF by the time BW wheeled around and most of my peers had also. I did emphasise the whole idea of subjectivity, after all, rather than wanting to make a blanket statement (even though the opening line of mine you quoted should've probably started: "To (edit: many in) my generation ..." on that score.)

The '86 Movie was really the culmination for us, so Pretenders et al: no interest. Interesting in the recent "The Toys That Made Us" documentary that a guy at Takara (or could've been Hasbro; I forget which) basically said that by the time the line reached shell-formers and suchlike it was basically kaput, creatively.

All that being said, you are, of course, entitled to love it, irrespective of birth date. :cool: Variety, spice of life n' all ....

But I couldn't muster up one iota of excitement for MP-BW character announcements if I tried. People invested in that subline rightly flip their lid over new pics of a screen-accurate MP-43 where I just see something, at source, that's pretty juvenile, far removed from the original concept of robots in disguise: like Grimlock met Ivan Ooze from Power Rangers in a blender and called itself Transformers. :rolleyes: 

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 9
  15. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    This here. The '86 Movie really put a dent in my love for Transformers, and I wasn't at all enthused about the Movie/post-Movie characters (Ultra Magnus was the only new character I liked) and Targetmasters and Headmasters did nothing for me, but yeah, the Shell-formers really closed the door on Transformers for me. Dreamwave Comics and the release of MP-01 Convoy/Optimus Prime got me back into Transformers.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Sam

Sam 255

News Credits:
    Don't want to deviate too far from speculation here, but this is an example of an attitude which leads BW fans to think G1 fans are against them, and in turn leads them to diss our 'crappy' cartoon. Let's stop going down that road, shall we? Beast Wars is a damn good show, and I only just watched it recently having previously dismissed it the same way you did (and I was 7 in 1996). G1 is a damn good show, too. Both have their faults, but both also have something far more special to outweigh them.

• Like Like x 13
  17. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

I think my final forays into the toylines began with Brainwave (who had very decent playability to be fair) the dubiously named 'Squeezeplay', and a few seacons - the shark and manta ones of which were pretty cool. Targetmasters just seemed like a cheap ploy to repackage pre-existing movie releases like Kup & Hotrod and though I owned Squeezeplay, most of the 'con Headmasters struck me as absurd ~ like, WTF was the rationale behind them hiding out on earth as a conspicuous yellow wolves, pink-accented 'gators or giant bats way bigger than Ratbat? The logic compared to the sleek stealth of Ravage or Laserbeak as infiltrators (or even the Dinobots origin story, given the Arc's collision point) just didn't gel with me at all.

As I recall, there were all other kinds of bizarro releases and weird things happening with minibots around that time as though the line had briefly been taken over by Hot Wheels or something. I think my penultimate ever toy back in the day was a sparkabot (Sizzle?) one Christmas around the same time as I was bought the pretender, Submarauder, cracked open said Fishman like a Kinder Surprise containing a crumby plastic robo a million miles from the glory diecast days of Prowl and Jazz and suddenly the inescapable Harrisson Ford moment dawned that yes: I WAS too old for this shit.

Have to disagree about The Movie as an entity in itself though. Sure, some of the toys were utter garbage, but epic transformer tragedy to hair metal was a revelation to me, that in story-terms remains the most exciting expansion of the universe (outside the Marvel comics and formation of the MP line, obvs) that has happened in my lifetime.

Oh, and MP-Sizzle, mofos ... it's coming. :confused2 

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  18. BWfan86

News Credits:
    This.

19. BWfan86

News Credits:
    Except you could make the argument that all things TFs are juvenile since they are based on you know, cartoons and toys. I would argue that BW/ BM was muh more mature than the original G1 toon.

Also, the disguise part was not the primary factor for the animal alt modes - story wise. Their purpose was to shield them from the toxic effects of their environment

• Like Like x 4
  20. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

Listen. A lot of my friends think my beloved TFTM is a pile of shite, and we laugh about it. So long as opinions are never voiced vindictively (which mine on this subject are not) or with the intent of putting others down, the trick is not to take offence so easily, or let adverse opinions hurt our feelings. Or else what? Others have to lie, walk on eggshells, or self-censor at every turn?

I also never suggested G1 didn't have its faults. It's drowning in them. One day, someone will make the ultimate drinking game out of "spot the wrong insignia!" that is rampant in the Sunbow. :p 

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6