The -NEW- END ALL BE ALL Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GogDog, Dec 1, 2011.

1. SMB73

SMB73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I expect nothing special to commemorate a 35th anniversary. Here's why:

1. It's an odd number and those rarely need any sort of significant celebration. 40th yes, 35th no.
    2. "Thrilling 30" was nothing more than excuse to sell really, really ugly repaints of figures that not a lot of people wanted, put into expensive packaging, and sat in the clearance isle at TRU or falling off to ROSS/TJ Maxx. There were a couple of pieces like Metroplex and Predaking that were worth buying, but the rest was junk to me.
    3. No more TRU. They were the last retailer that was interested in carrying over-priced, specialized TF products that wasn't just a movie tie-in.

What Hasbro should have done was re-release the '86 animated movie for a limited time in theaters. But if they didn't do it for the 30th, I can't imagine them doing this for the 40th unless they can find someway to give it a repaint first. If they can't do that, then they should consider bringing the Commemorative Series back and expand it to other series besides G1.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the "stars are aligning" in a way that a V3 Prime as a so-called centerpiece to any 35th anniversary callout makes sense, but beyond that I don't expect much either beyond a logo slapped on some packaging for stuff that was coming out anyways and maybe some Platinum-esque redeco sets being thrown out there (which, again, may have come out anyways if it were only the 34th or 36th anniversary year just because Hasbro/Takara inevitably want to redeco something for some quick $$$). So, basically, the 25th anniversary all over again.

Honestly, I don't think anniversary years mean jackshit to Hasbro or Takara until they want them to. The 30th anniversary of Masterforce is this year and Victory is next year, and I have no reason to expect Takara to acknowledge either. Doesn't mean they can't or won't, I'm just not expecting anything. If Takara wants to start doing MP Car Robots or Micron Legends characters, I don't expect them to wait for the 20th anniversary of those cartoon in a few years.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MP Optimus Primal was a big-deal release for the 20th anniversary of Beast Wars. I'm just sayin'.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Right, and that's notable, but there was no sustained effort to do much beyond that. There were some Legends redecos of Generations figures that came out a few years earlier tied to the 30th anniversary of the franchise, Convobat (another redeco)....and, anything else? Year of the Monkey Primal, I guess? (Which had as much to do with what year it was in the Chinese calendar than anything else.) Cheetor & MP-38 also had the 20th anniversary logo on the box, but that felt more "slap-logo-on-boxish" than "we're only doing these because of the 20th anniversaryish."

The quibble isn't that Hasbro/Takara would stay away from acknowledging an anniversary of something; them doing something is logical. Yet whenever people start talking up anniversaries there's always some (not you, but other people) who start dreaming big about huge efforts and all these new goodies that could come out. Instead, a new mold (Primal/V3 Prime) and some redecos are probably about it. Anything else would be a very welcome surprise, but a surprise nonetheless.

• Like Like x 2
  5. JoshFinn

JoshFinn Getting real sick of your shit starscream

Armada didn't get shit for their 15th but whatevs, entitled people

6. Doc Pirahna

Doc Pirahna Well-Known Member

The obvious choice for the 35th anniversary is a ~in scale Metroplex. Start clearing out those guest beadrooms and finding banks that will finance "action figure" purchases. You've been warned. Preorders will sell out fast.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree. People confuse "recognizing cool thing that happened x years ago" with "full-on revival of cool thing." Problem is, G1 got a revival around 2006 and the party never stopped, so people start expecting something exponentially bigger. It can't just be a new Optimus Prime toy, we literally get those all the time. It must be ALL the new toys, and a new cartoon, and a new movie, and a Broadway show, and a national holiday, and... on and on. We really are living the dream right now. Unfortunately even Paradise starts to look improvable when you've lived in it long enough.

• Like Like x 9
  8. HolyCulture

HolyCulture I'm so much a toon guy that I framed Roger Rabbit.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    You’re exactly correct. And unfortunately we need experience to be aware of the situation. New people coming in just can’t understand.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I'm hoping they don't make RID 2001 Masterpieces, it would just interfere with G1 and BW masterpieces.

10. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I hope they do and I really hope they expand to Micron Legend/Armada as well. Realistically Takara isn't going to do every G1 character in MP form. What they haven't done the 3rd party companies will do. With Beast Wars the line doesn't have the issues of G1. No large cast nor seeking permission from companies to obtain licenses.

So long term the MP line needs to expand to bring in the next wave of adult collectors.

• Like Like x 4
  11. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Threw beast wars in, in anticipation of Dinobot, and realised that Megatron was more than just an purple T-Rex. He's striped with different shades of purple. Wonder if they'll carry that over to the mp.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    All I can hope for now is that they will make the remaining 6 first characters before 2021.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Most of the RID 2001 figures were pretty damn good to begin with. I suppose there’s some improvement they could do but not as much as the earlier generations that had limited articulation or huge differences between toy and show.

• Like Like x 4
  14. motorthing

motorthing Carry on you Wayward Son

News Credits:
    They were good, but as Beast Megatron has just made abundantly clear, when TT make an MP now it blows the original toys out of the water. I love the Original Beast Megatron, it's an astonishingly good toy for the time but there isn't any contest with what we are about to get.

If and when they get around to Car Robots I'd expect the same, making good into spectacular. And I hope some day they do.

• Like Like x 9
  15. Aussiebot

Aussiebot Well-Known Member

You're exactly right. So many people seem to think the MP line will continue pumping out every single S1 & S2 character but it is not going to happen. Even those hoping for a full Ark crew are being unrealistic.

• Like Like x 1
  16. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

Well my manhood was certainly threatened and that’s why I’m going to get the darker one!

:lol 

Joke! I love my Mp-29 but this one is just better, that means more toon accurate for me, so I’ll upgrade! I know it’s a rip off but I’m not a completist going to get every Sunbow character that come out unless it’s by tt of course! And the rate at which tt is releasing new molds these days! Two a year? I’m not exactly breaking the bank account

• Like Like x 1
  17. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    Since my posts apparently threaten this guy's "manhood" and he has me on ignore, this is a rhetorical question: what can anyone possibly find "small minded" or "shitty" about wanting a toy to be the right color?

MP 29 was too light. Everyone knows it. Takara knows it. They're correcting their mistake. They went about doing it in a completely lousy way, but I for one am glad to have the option to buy the toy in the right color. It's easier for me since I don't have MP 29. I'm sure people are pissed about being double dipped, and for twice what it should retail for, no less.

• Like Like x 4
  18. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

I don’t have you on ignore @onnsake, I kind of enjoy watching you flail angrily at the world while nobody cares. Heck, I almost made a meme for it last week, and then said to myself “I respect Gene Wilder too much to use his image In a flame war with this guy.”

On to something worth talking about though, while I’d be surprised to see Car Robots, I think you’re right that they’d blow the originals away, much like with BW. A lot of folks forget how incredibly fiddly those toys were. The transformations were extremely complex for the cars, while also very delicate and non-intuitive. They could definitely do better now.

• Like Like x 3
  19. RichP

RichP Well-Known Member

I don’t mind double dipping with Shockwave. I enjoyed having him all this time, and will enjoy having the darker purple version when I get it.

The question is if the darker version came out first would I double dip with the lighter purple. I wouldn’t. That doesn’t bother me, though. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the figure since I’ve owned one. So not a big deal to me or worth being angry over.

• Like Like x 9
  20. Fallen Jedi

Fallen Jedi Well-Known Member

Or,
    Or, do you despise your MP29 because he clashes with your robe?

• Like Like x 3