The -NEW- END ALL BE ALL Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GogDog, Dec 1, 2011.

1. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    Or they could just not pair him with anyone and release him on his own and then release whoever they feel like.

This isn't a criticism of anyone here but it just feels like trying to determine Takaras next move is like determining the position and momentum of a particle. And sadly unlike star Trek we can't just install Heisenberg compensators, lol.

• Like Like x 2
  2. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked MP40 do much I really want another movie bot.:( 
    Making yours fans wait a year for a new G1 mold TB/Hoist ends up being kind of meh, next year with Prime is a different story. I just think were getting somebody that doesnt make the year a total waste, unless we do get 2 molds. Then TB and Astrotrain /Blitzwing / Cyclonus/Scourge/ or Galvatron sounds freaking amazing.

Still wonder with TFs not being as popular there would they go with the Insecticons as a set like the reissues. Or would minibots not named Bee come in pairs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mcart

News Credits:
    Very good point and I have to admit to being one of those that forgets MPM completely. Sadly I also think Takara is dead on the money doing a focus on MPM now. It's too early to play to nostalgia of the movies and the failure of The Last Knight had resulted in the film universe being pretty much dead now. They have sunk a ton of cost on these molds and if they're going to recoup those costs they need to be more mpm aggressive.

Doesn't play to what I want but I'm not the only person in the world, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I suspect the Bayverse won't age as well as BW or G1, or U3, say, so they really do need to strike now while it's a going concern and they've got one more movie to capitalize on. Kids tend to gravitate to whatever the cartoon is on reruns after school every day, so they can't rely on the same type of nostalgia response as those fans age (it might still happen, but that's not a surety).

• Like Like x 2
  5. brianjnelson

brianjnelson Active Member

I've been wondering. At this point, are there any releases that would be universally applauded? First, let me rephrase "universally applauded" as "most people are happy" as there will always be nitpickers, always be trolls, always be toon vs toy, always be 3P vs official, and always be pricing issues. The reason I got to wondering about this is I can barely remember the last time there was generally a good feeling all around about a release making everyone happy.

For MP-01 through MP-09, the line wasn't anything like it is now. More like one-off releases of A-listers and various repaints that were collected as novelty items, not like a collection. The line was so new that we didn't come with many expectations, and the release pattern was so slow that it didn't really generate the "I need the next fix" buzz that we have now. People had more of a "it would be neat if they did this character someday" feeling as opposed to the "Fail. I guess MP line is over and I'm going to be mopey about it because I didn't get the one I wanted next."

MP-10 and 11 generated more confusion than anything at first, and some grief over replacing characters we already had.

It paid off with MP-12 - 14 where we were actually introduced to the concept of a unified scale and opening the door for a bigger cast. It was starting to get fun. Prowl and the other Datsuns were expected due to their repaint potential but highly welcomed. And then we got Wheeljack (no character repaint!), Bumblebee (we thought we'd never get him!), and Ultra Magnus (awesome! maybe a little bit of division over the all in one transformation).

And as far as I can tell that was the last time that everybody was thrilled at what we were getting. We were excited over the next release. Who would it be? Hound? Sunstreaker? Galvatron?

It was Exhaust. Which was cool, a little odd that it was a numbered release though. Then Star Saber. Some thought it was great, others were really itching to get away from that one-off fan poll character and back to G1. Then Track had that strange stretched pic that made him look all anime and not really fitting into the previous releases. In the end it wouldn't be that far off, but the toy had it's fair share of flaws that dulled the excitement.

The Hot Rod and Shockwave double reveal was awesome, if not marred a bit by Hot Rod's pizza box chest and Shockwave's lack of paint and his light color started to make us split between toy and toon.

Another huge rift was introduced with Optimus Primal and Cheetor, for obvious reasons. Inferno was such a surprise and his toy was amazing but it continued the 3P vs official war in full force. The coneheads had quality control issues and while nice, were still retreading the old MP-11 mold (which was retreading the old MP-03 mold). The one thing that could be said about this period that really had people excited was not so much the individual releases, but the pace. It seemed like even if you were disappointed one month about the new reveal, you only had to wait 30 days to find out what might be next!

Megatron, Sunstreaker, and Dinobot introduced us to a new price point that put a hurt on a lot of wallets despite being amazing feats of engineering.

We haven't all been happy since Ultra Magnus. I understand that this is just one of many ways at looking at the data. Someone else might come along and say, "I was the happiest person in the world when my patience was rewarded with Megatron and Sunstreaker!!" And it's not to say that the line is dead, or broken, or losing it's value. It's that we've all segmented ourselves into our own groups with our own expectations. We have ark crew purists, BW enthusiasts, those who feel a space is wasted if they've already gotten the 3P alternative, 86 movie buffs, even some who can't wait for more Baybots. With all that being said, and coming back to my point, would any release at this point have us considerably re-invigorated?

I really feel like Megatron, Sunstreaker, and Dinobot came *close*. Even the stubborn G1ers had to admit Dinobot is pretty cool. But those price tags are high. And I get it, that can be hard to justify. The Honorable Hasui even said in his Sideswipe interview about weighing whether to make Sideswipe at his price tag or double his price tag. Would these releases have made more of us happy if they were not quite as good but half the price?

We are all wondering if the Sunstreaker price will apply to Hound, Mirage, Trailbreaker, etc. Otherwise I would say a new carbot would be *mostly* happily accepted, with the usual "my 3P is better" and "I don't want a cartoon toy" arguments.

Specifically with Jazz. Arguably he's the one release that could generate joy, but could also generate a war in here.

Grimlock V2? Maybe, but it would come with a lot of angst if they were going to do the rest.

Galvatron? Maybe, but there might be some discussion whether to size him Op/Meg/Rod or Ultra Magnus. I think a lot of people would be weary whether this meant more (or no more!) 86 bots were coming. Kinda the same with Arcee.

Here are a couple that at least I think would generate the most positive buzz.

A new mold Tigatron and Inferno double reveal. I know, it's Beast Wars, but here me out. It really cements the idea that Takara is going to complete at least the season one cast, especially by giving us two not from the original crews. The new mold Tigatron would also put a long standing debate to bed and show that Takara is interested in representing these characters as accurately as possible. It also nicely opens the door for Air Razor. And you know what, I would totally get a slightly remolded (ala Road Rage) and recolored Snowstalker.

A chibby Cliffjumper. Chibby vs non-chibby! Yes but think about what this would do. A non-chibby Cliffjumper (or Brawn, or really any minibot) could really be seen as a one-off. And while it would no doubt look great next to the other Hasuibots, it wouldn't really fit with the new tone of the line. A chibby Cliffjumper, however, immediately gives us Tap-Out, Bumper, and Hubcap, and probably a V2 Bumblebee. And if we get all that, it really opens the door for the rest of the minibots and puts the chibby vs non-chibby debate to bed. It would of course immediately lead to thoughts of...

Jazz. Takara, you're dammed if you do toon, and dammed if you don't. So do both. Treat Jazz and Stepper as if they are a Trailbreaker/Hoist situation, and then recolor Stepper as toy-Jazz. You will make a lot of people happy.

Sideswipe V2. Even if you are against this idea, you have to admit that this would send a clear message that Takara is fully embracing the line moving forward in the toon direction. And if they are going out of their way to re-do a character, it would imply that they plan on the line continuing for a long time (even moreso than a V3 Prime).

Moonracer. Smile, do it. You know those situations where the atmosphere is so cutthroat or you feel like you're holding on to your last thread and then someone makes a joke and everyone just smiles and relaxes? That's what we need in here! I think Moonracer would be just the right gal to show us that this is a toy line and it's fun and we shouldn't be fighting each other over it. It might even generate a "I know you wanted G1 Mirage and I wanted movie-verse Daytrader and we've been flaming each other for months, but we both have to admit, Moonracer is so ridiculous it's funny". Even Takara might have fun with her. "You thought we might actually start some type of pattern? Ok, here you go, analyze that!"

• Like Like x 8
  6. ShawnBerger4Mayor1985

ShawnBerger4Mayor1985 Shawn Berger Campaign Manager

Sure, there are plenty other characters I'd prefer, but I'd be happy with Trailbreaker and Hoist. Very happy, actually. Not at all a meh to me. I'd love to see the transformation scheme those two would have, since it would likely be fairly different from anything else we've got so far.

You forgot to mention the Ironhide/Ratchet drama (hip skirts, no mirrors, etc.). ;) 

For me, it's getting G1 (preferably seasons 1 & 2) characters at a fairly consistent rate. If we'd get back to that pace of a couple years ago, as you mentioned above, I'd be feeling much better about the MP situation than I am at present.

• Like Like x 2
  7. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nothing against TB I look forward to him, but if Im only getting 1 MP out of all the available options, TB doesnt wow me as much, in fairness no one really wows me that much if its our only release barring a leader type who could give Dinobot a run for his money for MP of the year:Galvatron, Ginrai, Dai Atlas, Skyfire, Overlord or even Rodimus 2.0.

8. ShawnBerger4Mayor1985

ShawnBerger4Mayor1985 Shawn Berger Campaign Manager

Ohhhhhh, you need something super incredible! ;) 

Though for me, with how parched I've gotten from this drought, even MP Wheelie would do me wonders...

Desperate times... ;) 

• Like Like x 5
  9. RichP

RichP Well-Known Member

i think a Mirage MP would wow me. I could go for that.

• Like Like x 7
  10. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

While neither elicit much personal anticipation from me, I'd be a bit more excited for Hoist than TB.
    That's thanks to the Hoist Goes Hollywood episode.

I'd be ecstatic for an MP Meister, CJ, Mirage, Windcharger, Hound, Blaster or Blurr.

• Like Like x 2
  11. GearsRollo

Buddy, that’s quite a book!

I think you have a really valid point about expectations and the diversity of the line vs the factional attitudes of fan being a bigger issue than we really realize. I think that where that really started though, is Star Saber.

For whatever reason - I beleive it’s to pull in more fans and have characters that are non-licensed mainly - Takara wanted to vary the line early on. While Star Saber is technically G1, calling such a massive stretch of continuity that spans so very many characters and settings is just silly. That would have been the first time that you had a group of fans who passed on a character because he wasn’t from “their” Transformers.

That said, despite the very loud bitching, that diversity isnt bad. It’s like with music. People still say (and it’s actually pretty true) that nobody will ever be as big as the Beatles. It’s likely no band will, but more than anything else because music has diversified and morphed to cater to different tastes more and more. There’s something for everyone now that fits them, not just one thing that only sort of fits a huge swath of people.

• Like Like x 4
  12. tk7261

tk7261 Well-Known Member

Does anyone albave a guess at an upcoming time frame or toy show we could potencially see another MP announcement at? Is there alatern they follow. I'm getting nervous at this point for new g1 characters.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prowl+ is September, eh? Well, that improves odds slightly that there will be something in the magazine this month for an October release, if there's nothing on the books yet.

If I may ask, what is your own personal methodology for speculating, then? If it's truly random, then all prediction is pointless. It's just wishlisting, and we have a separate thread for that.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mcart

News Credits:
    I don't generally speculate, I do find some of the theories interesting and entertaining but how often have they been proven correct vs incorrect? My personal speculation is that we do not know and will not know until release. I follow this thread in the hopes of being wrong.

We are human, we try to see patterns but the MP pattern is an incredibly complex one if there even is a pattern .

An interesting one was, for example, the "look to 3rd party for the next MP" theory. It played out for a few releases and then it was dumped as we still wait for our reflector, Springer, insecticons etc.

15. Aussiebot

Aussiebot Well-Known Member

That is one of the most sensible and plausible theories that I have seen posted in this thread. Promote that man!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    At this point, MP17+ being a hint for the next MP seems pointless.

17. tk7261

tk7261 Well-Known Member

Honestly I think it's ganna be a toss up what's next. Since Hasbro and Takara have this new relationship I'm wondering how it will affect the Mp line. Hasbro only cares about like 4 or 5 of the best selling bots. I wouldn't be surprised if this puts a damper on the cool guys that haven't been done yet like Trailbreaker or Hound, and why Optimus V3 is a possibility imo. I personally really hope Trailbreaker is next.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Digger

Digger ごはん は おかず

For one I would absolutely want an mp-36 remould into browning. 1:1 scale and it would be awesome to have. Secondly, another megaton redeco, in comic book colours. Have them with white and dark blue plastics with paint details and have lesser accessories with the frank welker voice. And actual new figure, beachcomber, I love the guy.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GearsRollo

It’s been a while since I looked at the old Diaclone gun-bots, but the browning was pretty different from the Walther, so even if they wanted to, I doubt it’d happen. Also, it didn’t get used in any way in the TF line, which is a prerequisite.
    2B00515B-1127-4FBE-8FD0-AAD021B1E306.jpeg

The reality too is that Megatron probably only happened because he’s Megatron, and Takara felt that they had to make him. He’ll never be released normally in a lot of Western countries, so they can’t really get Hasbro to help with him either. Plus, there’s a good chance that the increased scrutiny in the US and Canada would make it harder to get any Diaclone gun bot, similar to what happened in Australian with MP-36.

Frankly, gun business is bad business these days, and without straying into the politics of it all, they’d be smart to avoid the issue altogether and just be glad for the win they got on MP-36.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Digger

Digger ごはん は おかず

He was a part of super god masterforce, the second in the Japanese exclusive shows and toylines. Also it doesn’t make sense to make brand new engineering for such a weird character, so it would be based off megatron.