The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Prime135

Prime135 Friend of Arcee

News Credits:
    Tumblr:
    Had a dream last night that Takara anounced a boatload of plus repaints...smokescreen, bumblebee, bluestreak, the cassettes, Soundwave, all culminating in the reveal of MP blaster.

2. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yes. Most likely.

3. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    In 2020.

4. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yes. Most likely.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Yay, just got notice that Metroplex is on his way :D 
    Something to break the MP rut monotony.

• Like Like x 1
  6. soundwave144

soundwave144 #1 Best, good friend of Soundwave on the planet.

News Credits:
    I hear ya, ive been closing the gap on my chug collection quite a bit since sunstreaker, with a few 3p mps in between. I dont mind the slow pace so much but id still like to know when things are gonna kick back up

• Like Like x 3
  7. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    I've not been getting the 3p mps, my G1 collection though is now much better, lol.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator

News Credits:
    Agreed.

I don’t want to start anything, but the recent KO discussions have probably been some of the most unpleasant interactions I’ve seen or taken part in, on the forums. Some parts of it still boggle my mind, but it is what it is.

After thinking on it, I’ve accepted that there really is no point trying to convince others not to buy them, or being overly critical of their buying decisions, that normally only serves to entrench people in their opinions.

At risk of sounding cliche, every moment spent arguing and reading diatribe, is a moment of enjoyment taken out of the hobby.

On a more personal note to you Dean ML, I would like for you to be more than a lurker, because I thoroughly enjoy your enthusiasm for the releases we have so far, and the pics and knowledge you and the likes of @Sam, and @HolyCulture etc., contribute. :) 

Same goes to anyone else who’s a bit tired of going through the motions lately. Most of us have been here a while, and it’s one of my favourite places on the web to frequent, I would like to see it remain that way.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Tenebre

Tenebre Sharkticon

Yeah, I don't know how the folks who only collect MP (and official, at that) do it. Sure, official MP is slow right now, but I also collect vintage G1, Generations, other TF lines, 3P, Star Wars, so I'm never at a loss for excitement. :D 

• Like Like x 3
  10. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    As someone who primarily only collects official MP, for me it's a matter of how I engage the hobby and its priority in my life. I'm a busy person and don't get much leisure time. I also have a relatively small budget for my collection compared to what I used to spend, and a limited amount of space. Rather than feeling like I need the next MP right now or that there's some "hole" in my collection if I don't have a specific character, I find that I look forward to seeing what Takara-Tomy will produce next. Time between releases gives me time to save money for whatever the next one might be and allows me to appreciate the ones that I have. Not to mention, I still have some MPs that I haven't had time to open and enjoy - so if I do feel a desire for a new figure I can crack open one of those.

It's also worth mentioning that my current perspective on collecting also is something that developed after years of engaging in the hobby. I still have all of the G1 figures I had as a kid, and lived out my completionist phase in my late 20s/early 30s.

• Like Like x 11
  11. Kranix_OZ

Kranix_OZ Well-Known Member

While I would love to hear news of the next MP as much as the next person, since I only collect select official 84 and 85 MP (I dont collect anything else either) I am used to long periods between getting MP in hand. So it doesn't feel as bad to me as it does for some others who buy everything MP.

I only ever went completionist on 84 & 85 G1 but that was much easier, yet I still didn't get there in the end! It's not a path I think worth following with Transformers as its too often very hard to achieve. Either a series gets cut, figures (or comics or series or movies) don't get released/ reissued or the buy in gets too high.

So I'm more relaxed on this lull than others, its just part of Transformers to me. I still remember the move from 85 style figures/ Movie/ series/ comics to that of the futuristic style of 86 as a kid which killed momentum for so many young fans like me, change is just part of Transformers (funnily enough!).

However this pause and the news of what could be a soft reboot with the new MP Prime and the + releases does reiterate for me personally that while part of me wants to go on collecting all 84 and 85 MP, I can now stop after only a handful more figures and may have to just be happy with what I have even.

Right now I'm just not up for the rebooting of characters in this MP series, especially at this point of my collection. I really like what I have and the style of these MP and would have loved to get more figures I wanted in that same style. I'm not all in no matter what like some collectors and Im not usually a big fan of the simpler, straight toon deco so waiting through releases of figures I already have for a few years in the hope of seeing them fit in one I don't have may be too much for my patience despite how I currently collect.

Of course this style is the preference of some other collectors so its their turn to get figures they love.You can't help but be happy for guys like DeanML who have such passion for the line that its infectious!

Still not everyone likes the same thing and I can understand why some folks are losing interest and moving on. It's a slow moving series compared to some with relatively expensive figures and a lot of emotional attachment. Combined with the soft rebooting that has crept in mid way can be off putting for some can call into question ones own future collecting.

• Like Like x 5
  12. NoiseMaker

NoiseMaker Well-Known Member

Well as a little t9ngue in cheek F-you! I'm quite enjoying this little 'lull' in G1/2 masterpieces.

My collection rules have changed relatively recently, and i was a little behind anyway.

I dont do beast wars or MPM.. or any other line. i just cant afford it.

But Im cqtching up! I just need:
    Loudpedal
    Nemesis
    Soundblaster
    Megatron 2
    Thundercracker
    Grapple
    AKOM Hot Rodimus

I used to be all only one iteration of each character... now its... oh ok then Soundblasters in, and Hot Rodimus with targetmaster of course. Im getting three different 'eras' of G1/2
    AUTOBOTS all characters
    DECEPTICONS all characters
    Then also; Diaclone/future/G2/Japanese as a sort of combined/mixed 'future wars' thing

Eh... well it works for me.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

You have to be patient if you collect MP, either TT or 3P. There's only so many characters and only so many companies. In the meantime, I revel in your posts, the general amusement that is the forum, and the thrill of the hunt.

• Like Like x 4
  14. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ooh tomorrow's the 22nd, if there's hope, it 's a good chance it will be tomorrow.

I pretty much collect only MPs. I have a shelf full of LG stuff but those are in the end only so entertaining. I would love to sell off my Hot Rod, Kup, Arcee, and Blurr because we have MP versions. I do have a ton of Gundam kits, when its gets slow like this Im inclined to display them. I just wish releases got back to being a little more regular, I enjoy the experience of getting new releases with you guys. Which kind of makes of for the rest of the board as sometimes some of the characters on these boards can be draining for lack of a better word.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I collect vintage G1,MPs, and some other lines. I went from buying 3rd party to fill all of the holes, to just sitting back and enjoying the releases we have. The pace is slower than I would like, but I don't want to be buying 2 or 3 expensive figures a month. I just wish they would spread out the G1 releases. One release a QTR would be fine by me.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    No news yet. Looks like this Figure King is another Dud.

• Like Like x 4
  17. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:

• Like Like x 3
  18. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Well here we sit with still no new mold news beyond Dinobot and maybe yet another Optimus Prime. You have to wonder if we have completely lost TakaraTomy as our champion after this spring is over. Nightstalker has been out for months. No Steeljaw? No Blaster? No anybody? Dinobot will be great, but Shadow Panther and Anime Prowl? Really? Those are fine mixed in with other new stuff but they won't and can't carry the line.

Power of the Primes is going to be a complete failure for them with no import sales, same for the Studio Series which may not do great overall anyway considering the movies are now universally considered both terrible and dead. Where are they going to be getting their revenue? Star Wars? Are they no longer interested in making money, or is something else going on?

If a reorganization or something is taking place, it just would be nice to know. This is the greatest TF line of all time by far - communicate with us. It is the right thing to do. We are listening.

The more they don't say anything, the more it becomes clear to those of us who aren't naive what is probably really going on between the two companies.

• Like Like x 2
  19. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude, we wouldnt know till this afternoon. If there is something to see somebody will post it early.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Some see the Energon cube as half empty, some see it as slowly filling. Patience, there is good news on the way.

What percentage of Takara-Tomy’s overall sales for TFs are from import sales?

• Like Like x 4