The -NEW- END ALL BE ALL Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GogDog, Dec 1, 2011.

1. oku

oku Oh.

News Credits:
    They're not going to lose their job, but may lose privilege of having access to insider info.

• Like Like x 5
  2. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a matter of trust if someone lets you in on something and asks you not to repeat it.

• Like Like x 4
  3. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

You ninja'ed my edit above... I was adding a long winded version of this as you summed it up quickly.

4. Sam

Sam 229 days

News Credits:
    Megatron sold so well he got a reissue 9 months later. That's only happened with a few MPs (MP-10 and Prowl maybe? Sideswipe, Ironhide, definitely). Granted it also happened with MPM-3, so there's little doubt that subline is also doing well for now.

Until I see otherwise I'm just assuming MPMs are taking up usual G1 repaint slots, Dinobot has taken the big first-half of the year release slot. We'll definitely get a carbot late Autumn, and hopefully someone like Blaster too.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

The problem with determining if a figure sold well or poorly, is that we don't how many were produced. And thus being sold out or not, isn't end all be all indication.

Megatron sold out. Sounds good. But what if TT didn't have faith in him selling well and thus produced half the normal run? In that case, selling out doesn't mean anything.

Likewise, MP-38 Optimus Primal movie colours can be bought on sale or even clearance. But what if TT thought the figure would sell extremely well and thus produced it in double the normal numbers? In that case, the figure still being availabe everywhere likewise means nothing.

(Just two possible examples. I doubt Megatron was produced in low numbers.)
    That a figure sold out only means that it sold better than TT expected.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 8
  6. oku

oku Oh.

News Credits:
    It's not bad enough that they needed to hunt down KO companies.

• Like Like x 3
  7. motorthing

motorthing Carry on you Wayward Son

News Credits:
    There is one factor about sales I also don't see being considered: past performance doesn't necessarily guarantee future sales. Especially as once a character like Megatron is "done" you had your sales for that Guy and releasing MP Cindersaur isn't likely to repeat at the same level.

An MP Prime is an evergreen. Lots of people might not want yet another one, but I think enough people will to make it sell at least as well as MP36. Afterall look at how the same arguments were made when MP10 was revealed. And MP11.

But Prime aside, and a few other Carbots we all say we still want, maybe TT are genuinely looking at precisely who they have left on the roster and realising that there aren't many slam-dunks left. It could certainly explain the uneasy silence right now.

Just a thought.

• Like Like x 12
  8. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When's the next magazine due out that we can hope has something but be disappointed when it still has no new G1 molds?

9. Brum Bot

Brum Bot You’re an idiot Starscream

News Credits:
    Really great and well thought out post MT - exactly this. There’s very few ‘A-List’ characters left, there simply has to be an element of a big haymaker or two being kept behind their back, that way we all keep jabbing away until they decide to swing with it.

• Like Like x 6
  10. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, the biggest problem has always been transformers are more popular everywhere else but Japan, the bugaboo being Japan is pretty much their primary concern. For the west and China putting out an Astrotrain or Brawn is like printing money, in Japan they have to worry if there's enough interest.

I guess all we can hope is with brand unification someone with half a brain at Hasbro will realize that there's basically money being left on the table and start requesting more. Think how much MP stuff Hasbro could sell if domestic retailers charged prices closer to their Japanese counterparts. With TRU going the way of the dodo, I wonder if Hasbro will get more involved with the online etailers for distribution.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Meister
    Mirage
    CJ
    Windcharger
    Trailbreaker
    Hoist
    Huffer
    Gears
    Blurr
    Blaster
    Skyfire
    Cosmos
    Grimlock 2.0
    Swoop
    Slug
    Sludge
    Snarl
    Silverbolt
    Air Raid
    Fireflight
    Sky Dive
    Powerglide
    Slingshot
    First Aid
    Streetwise
    Hot Spot
    Blades
    Groove
    Perceptor
    Brawn
    Warpath
    Breakdown
    Wildrider
    Drag Strip
    Deadend
    Motormaster
    Elita One
    Chromia
    Moonracer
    Arcee
    Blitzwing
    Astrotrain

Just a few names that come to mind. It also doesn't include their repaints.

I'd say there's still MANY popular G1 characters still available for the MP treatment.

• Like Like x 2
  12. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

My bad :) 
    I think there's still plenty of popular G1 characters left. :D 

• Like Like x 2
  13. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Yeah , the well is far dry .

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

e
    End of the month, so in two weeks or so.
    I'm not expecting anything, that way I won't be disappointed.

• Like Like x 5
  15. motorthing

News Credits:
    Yeah you've missed the point. It's not that there aren't "plenty of others" because there's about 700 characters that haven't had MPs yet. The point may be just how many on your lists are actually guaranteed to have the same level of sales/preorders as Megatron or yet another Prime? Because at this price and parts count point you've got to be looking at that.

Then you're suddenly down to a very small list indeed. Some of the Diaclone Cars and "maybe" Galvatron.

Any of you really thinking that hasn't crossed TT's mind in straightened times?

If we suddenly get a rush of reveals from mid-year onwards we'll know the wobble wasn't real and it's business as usual. Otherwise........

• Like Like x 13
  16. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

If the MP line ever dies I just realized I’d be legit depressed - like might need some meds for a few months - does that make me a weirdo or are there others out there that would feel the same? (Dnt wrry I wouldn’t kill mysef or anthing :)  ... jus sayin I’d probably equate it to how I felt when I put my first dog to sleep)

Curious what y’alls sentiments are ... (be honest - no virtue-signaling posts allowed!)

17. motorthing

News Credits:
    I wouldn't be clinically depressed but I'd be sad about it. It's not something I want to see stop. I need Rhinox and T-Rex Megatron for a start...........

But recognising the World Economy is doing strange things and old certainties in our hobby aren't certainties anymore......it wouldn't be the most surprising thing in the World and therefore I'd probably reach acceptance quite quick. I've got a lot of figures I love that back in my mid-20s I could never have dreamed of seeing after all.

• Like Like x 5
  18. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

G1 figures don't even have to sell 'poorly' to end up taking a backseat. And Megatron probably did sell like gangbusters, but it doesn't mean Sunstreaker also did(...also doesn't mean it didn't.) Bottom line, whatever TT thinks is going to sell is what's going to get the focus. If they think a 3rd MP Prime is going to sell a ton, they're going to make a 3rd Prime. If they think Bayshit is going to sell a ton, they're going to make Bayshit. If they think finishing the Carbots isn't going to sell nearly as well as XYZ...then they're probably going to do XYZ instead of Carbots. It also doesn't have to be all or nothing. I'm sure G1 is still worthwhile, but as I've been saying, it's doubtful they're going to 'eventually' get to all G1 figures and it's just a matter of time. It's a matter of sales. They will happen, licensing aside, as long as they continue to be worth making. And when they're not, something else will take its place, whether it's MP or something else entirely.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Jdk504

Jdk504 RED WOLF

I wouldn't be sad, because they put out a bunch of great figures that I have. I don't know about comparing it to putting your 1st dog down . We had to put our dog down last year and I was/am still heart broken over that.

That was my buddy, my friend, my companion. Everyone is different and feel things differently. I feel these toys/collectibles are replaceable if broke or they stop the line there will be other things to occupy my time. But putting

down a living thing that is irreplaceable to me is different.

Not trying to offend you or others that think differently than myself. Just giving you my opinion.

I hope they don't cancel this line for a long time. I'm thinking they are just restructuring at this time so a lot of projects are up in the air until they streamline and concrete their game plan.

• Like Like x 3
  20. elburrito

elburrito Cpt. Marvelous

perhaps another thing to consider in terms of speculation is that the toy industry (at least action figures and wheeled toys) appears to have been in significant decline since 2010. Takara profits have decreased to the tune of billions of dollars since then. Ironically, Takara has produced the some of their best ever toys since 2010, but at some point one might think the money would rule. I don't really know what that may or may not mean, but thought I would throw it into the mix.

• Like Like x 1