The -NEW- END ALL BE ALL Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GogDog, Dec 1, 2011.

1. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

I still say that the toon accurate MPs are a good way release Meister sans the Primus damned Porsche license.

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think Sam is right on the money. This is the problem with what's up now. Again, in contrast to last year around this time, Megatron was the new "big" mold (right now it's Dinobot), but it wasn't too long around this time frame we were prepping for Grapple, then Dirge, then Artfire. Contrasted to now, it's Dinobot and Prowl+ with a small hint of Broadblast from the Steeljaw cousin.

Silence can be deafening.

• Like Like x 2
  3. gambitprime

gambitprime Well-Known Member

Do you think, if the rumour about a dead line resurrected into a MP subline is true, they should do a greatest hits line ? I mean, choose the most famous characters from each era

Example:

Fire Convoy, Sideburn & Black Convoy from Car Robots, Hot Shot & Starscream from Armada, Roadbuster & Demolishor from Energon and Megatron & Override from Cyberton, etc

4. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Mailaways are a dead G1 subline.

:D 

• Like Like x 6
  5. BombSquad

BombSquad Lies! It's all lies!

News Credits:
    Reflector and Omnibots confirmed!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Superquad7

News Credits:
    We already got Ratchet, as he was a mail away only for Takara.

7. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he was a mold-mate to Ironhide and on the cartoon in a major roles. Not quite the same as the Omnibots who were mail-away only non-show characters.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't look now, but Masterpiece already IS a greatest hits line.

9. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I guess that drops our chances again.

10. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Take this with a grain of salt but...i've been discussing in some taobao forums for a bit through private messages ( the same ones who told me about the V3 prime 1 day before its teaser), and these could be just predictions, however they gave me a bit of info. regarding POTP and beyond (WFC):

Bee VW MPM will be revealed at the time Optimus was in the chinese event the last year around may.

Starscream it's a brand new mould, there's no consideration of re-releasing the original MpM-1 or the HFTD leader for now. (i think this was said around the NYTF via seibertron)

Jazz MPM, it's being worked on, yes, MPM, no guarantee he will be next, but he's being worked on.

Blaster it's coming in the 4th quarter of this year, just with two cassettes in consideration. (i don't think so)

The principal MP line hasn't gotten the enough sales TT was expecting with the last releases, the MPMs on the other hand, are actually selling like hot cakes, that factor could explain why they're focusing on them for now.
    A bit of detail or fact was that they mentioned that the pre-orders for the movie figures on amazon japan (alongside mp barricade) were exytaordinary. Previously informed by Type-R.

The new Optimus Prime was planned to return the original MP line to its "glory", it's a brand new figure wich one of the objectives it's to get the exhorbitant sales as the Mp-10 has gotten in Japan, so the Japanese collectors could be even more interesed in the line's design's philosophy.

The new Optimus will be the one of the very few new mold we're getting form this year to the end of 2019.

Heard again of a carbot repainted into decepticon, but no a new MP carbot. (well, the discussion was short)

Again, all of this could be just a little trick or troll by them, but they were perfectly accurate before.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 12
  11. oku

oku Oh.

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  12. HolyCulture

HolyCulture I'm so much a toon guy that I framed Roger Rabbit.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    To say that my opinion doesn’t have logic behind it is wrong. We are both just stating our own opinions with our own reasoning behind it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd rather not drag this on much further, so I'll just say suggesting a black/gold Rodimus redeco is absolutely a logical option because it has precedent so it could happen, but it's not the most logical option for a Black Rodimus deco of some kind for the reasons I've stated (they haven't touched it in years, and keep using black/purple variations instead when they do offer Black Rodimus figures). Suggesting black/gold is more logical to show up than black/purple? Sorry, I don't agree with that, and sorry, but that's not an opinion. It's just analyzing Takara/Hasbro's habits on this subject. Neither's impossible, but one's more likely to happen than the other and there isn't enough recent evidence to point to black/gold as the most likely (unless you also happen to know things others don't). I don't know what else I can say here.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When TT release the same characters again, they tend to avoid doing the same kinds of repaints. It's why MP-10 was never repainted into Magnus, we never got a sleep mode, it's why MP-11 got MP-11S first, and why 11-SW and 11T were exclusives. Even MP-1B was different from MP-10B. So there's actually precedence in the MP line that we'd get a black/gold Autobot MP-28 repaint rather than a black/green/purple Decepticon repaint.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Aussiebot

Aussiebot Well-Known Member

See I don't understand that. If someone really has genuine inside information, why would they not want to share it?

Hell, if I had a source that was providing genuine & legit info, I'd be telling anybody & everybody :) 

16. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

What if the legit informations are somewhat confidential?

• Like Like x 4
  17. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not really?

MP-10B wasn't wholly different from MP-1B though; it was still black/greenish (with red over pink this time) instead of, say, black/gold or even black/gold/blue (which Takara had done before, with things like Black Big Convoy and Amazon JP's RotF Leader Prime, plus Prime's Dark Guard Optimus just a few months before MP-10B; under this logic I would've understood them doing MP-10B in black/gold to "switch it up," yet they didn't). It was different in terms of shades used, but not in terms of the "traditional" Black Convoy black/green colors that we often get. The only major differences here is this version was designated as a Destron/Decepticon and not just a black version of Optimus, and it was a retail release (that they've since re-released again), meaning they had no problem not only repeating themselves, but doing so in a broader fashion than with a store or convention exclusive.

As for your other examples - Magnus/White Prime was surprising at the time that it didn't show up at all, but Sleep Mode? That's one of the only times they did Corpse Prime, ever. Expecting redos of Black & White Primes from MP-10 made sense, but not Ashy Gray Corpsebot that they did once. Is anyone really assuming they'll jump straight to Corpse Prime as the first redeco of V3 Prime instead of Black Convoy (or something more random, like the BAPE/7-11-type exclusives we've been getting lately)? The Seekers? Sunstorm was odd, but was also still an exclusive, just like every other MP-11 redeco. That seems to speak more towards Takara's habit of not believing many Seekers can support a retail release too close together. I also don't think anyone's expecting Takara to not do Gold Megs or King Grimlock again simply because they need to "switch it up," but more because MP-5G is one of the only non-Lucky Draw Gold Megs we've ever received and same with a Marvel-based Grimlock. They're just not evidence Takara wants to keep doing them in the first place, let alone that they're motivated to move away from them to avoid redundancy.

So no, sorry, I still don't see how any of those means black/gold Rodimus is the more likely option just because they feel the need to not repeat themselves. I mean, we're looking at a V3 Prime sooner around the bend then we thought, and the + series is still going and attempting subtle variations (Sideswipe/Prowl that are barely different than straight re-releases. Takara has no problem repeating what they've already done or subtly tweaking it. I do agree black/gold's possible, but still not likely. I don't see a firm set of circumstances from this line that says that.

One possible explanation is the source of such information could be compromised if people just start freely throwing info out there in public, especially if it is directly sourced. This isn't national security; toys aren't worth fucking with people's jobs over.

18. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, I 100% believe the first repaint of v3 Optimus will be sleep mode.

My point was that @HolyCulture's reasoning does have some logic behind it. You can disagree with the reasoning, but it still exists. I mean, who expected an AKOM repaint of Hot Rod before a black one? That's TT, mixing things up.

Anyway, I can see your logic, and I can see his. Either way, I couldn't give a flying fuck about a black Hot Rod repaint. Maybe we'll get a fully black one with different sets of stickers. It's just as likely they won't bother repainting him anytime soon; they'll be reissuing a regular MP-28 anyway when they release Kup and/or Arcee.

• Like Like x 3
  19. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Interesting. I was always under the impression (admittedly weighted not by facts but by some of the more vocal proponents of the more 'toon' direction on these forums) that the latest figures like Sunstreaker and Megatron were selling like hot cakes. This indicates that may not be the case. What's especially worrying is that these aren't b-list characters!

It's completely anecdotal of course but outside of this thread (I'm talking about the UK discussion thread and the 3rd party forum) there has been a not insignificant backlash against the cartoon direction. For some the change in aesthetics - while gradual since the early MP-20s - has turned them off the line completely. For some it's the transformations themselves that are now a chore rather than a pleasure. A poll I ran a while ago implied at best a 50/50 split over the new direction on these forums.

Folks always point out (rightly so) that we on TFW are a) Western centric and b) only a very small part of the larger TF collecting fanbase but perhaps that doesn't mean we're completely unique either. A new Optimus in this instance sounds like a desperate attempt to get everyone fully onboard with the new direction (that and the + releases we've been seeing). I guess we'll never know how things would have progressed had the direction not changed.

Oh, and before everyone chimes in I'm aware there's a thing in Japan at the minute for anime-accuracy which has no doubt been a strong factor in the line's evolution.

The new MP Optimus may be make or break time. A lack of sales from people 'upgrading' their MP-10s may hit them hard.

Fwiw, I just don't believe there are thousands of potential collectors out there who have ignored this line up until now, all waiting for a cartoon accurate Optimus Prime to come along. The folks who were in their childhood during G1 are right now passing the point at which they may be looking for some nostalgia from their childhood and quickly getting to the point where kids/responsibilities are at their greatest. If they're not already on board I'm not sure another Prime will necessarily bring them on board.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 11
  20. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good points here.

Still, I didn't collect Transformers at all anymore until MP-1 came out. I wonder if a really toon-accurate Prime would be able to achieve that same effect, 16 years later, except this time it's bringing people into a line with an established scale and a host of characters already released and still to come.

I think it would be good if everybody on these boards took to Twitter to show their support for the line, at least that's a platform that we know the design team actually uses. Then, you'd probably have a bunch of dicks tweeting 'fail Kobayashi fail', so maybe not :lol 

For what it's worth, I would most certainly call Sunstreaker a B-list character ;) 

• Like Like x 7