The -NEW- END ALL BE ALL Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GogDog, Dec 1, 2011.

1. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It doesn't cost that much in Japan , but the point remains of same, they have no problem putting out stuff price be damned. This month with Movie Best/Fire Convoy/and Brave Max has got to be like a grand for just the month of March. Them putting out $600 worth of combiner over a year or year and a half is not that big of a deal.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    As I said, I can certainly see TakataTomy holding off with him, especially now that he remains as the main "popular" character left. However, the licensing holdup certainly has been the main holdup. Getting Bumble made with the VW licensing was (and still is) a big deal in light of the holdup with Porsche. The same holds true for Sunstreaker.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Being that Megatron and Dinobot are individual MPs and cost well over $200.00 a piece, I shudder to think what a Combiner would cost.

The base Transformer alone could cost over 200.00 ( Silverbolt, Motormaster, Inferno......)

Depending on the Combiner, the smaller Transformers could cost between 90 and 199 dollars ( going by the current price of Carbots, Seekers, and Coneheads).

After all is said and done, the finished Combiner could be anywhere from 600 to approaching 1000.

That's not even taking possible height and width into account.

Personally speaking, I'm not all too enthused at the prospect of selling vital internal organs just to be able to afford an MP Combiner. Especially with UW, CW and Legends filling those roles rather nicely for me.

Again, this is just my own personal opinion :) 

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With 3rd parties making Masterpiece combiners that combine, you'll never see Takara making Masterpiece combiners that don't combine.

• Like Like x 8
  5. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    exactly

6. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    The problem here it's that the people treat the combining members as just a "limb" or a little "component" instead of its own being.

Takara could create such beautiful individual modes full of personality and poseability, aside from the ability of combining for easily 180$ or over.

• Like Like x 4
  7. SunSwipe5

Complete 3rd party Combiners exceed 500.00

More power to those who want and buy them (be it 3rd party or Takara).

It's just a bit too expensive for me, personally.

That's not to say I wouldn't want MPs of individual Stunticons, Aerialbots or Protectobots (non-combining).

• Like Like x 1
  8. jackisking

News Credits:
    Eh, with brand unification we could be looking at stateside releases. Every combiner sans Menasor becomes a whole lot cheaper. Id be all for them but I rather have the low hanging fruit first. With so few Decepticons if sales are there on Hasbro end I could see a Devastator. on the autobot sude Superion could nake sense as I think it would be Silverbolt and 4remold/resellers limbs.

9. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess we're quibbling over terminology at this point, because saying it's certain that licensing is the holdup, when we lack directly sourced info saying as much (and we likely will never get directly sourced info until either a Takara employee goes rogue or we get a designer interview after Jazz actually releases confirming so after the fact)? No, I don't agree with that. I agree licensing is the most likely cause, but I don't think we can say it's 100% guaranteed now when "Takara being Takara" is on the table. Again, most likely, but not guaranteed.

I swear I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, but:

1. This line specifically has always been "pay to play" on some level. The cost has just gone up, more than some prefer. If you're concerned about pricing now, shit isn't going to get cheaper (as expensive but more spaced apart, as we've been seeing for the past year-ish, maybe, but not notably cheaper).
    2. Nitpicky, but Dinobot & Megs are only "well over $200" if you're using US retailers and not importing. I paid less than $200 for Megs, and after shipping I'll probably pay about $210ish for Dinobot (depending on where the exchange rate is come July). I get the urge to buy these things from retailers where it's easier to sort things out if anything goes wrong, but if cost is a mounting concern for anyone, people should at least be rethinking their shopping habits and what things are worth to them.
    3. Since you brought up redecos, do you think combiner members as redecos/non-combiners is going to be any cheaper than making unique, combining versions? With prices in the line rising, these will just be redecos of more expensive molds (Breakdown from Sunstreaker instead of MP-12, Drag Strip from Mirage, Aerialbots from MP-11 or a new MP Seeker mold, etc.). If you want them, you're not going to be saving anything in the long run, and you'll be getting lesser versions of these characters that don't do what they're supposed to per the source material this line heavily references.
    4. That said, I'm not sure where you're getting the $1000 number? Anyone concerned about cost paying $1000 for a 3P combiner would be a fucking moron, let alone that for an official one. TFC Hercules/Devastator ran $600 going off of US retailer prices, but that was over six years ago, the audience for these figures wisened up on how to get these things cheaper, and 3P companies have been (verrrrrrry slowwwwwwwwly) adjusting prices a bit themselves. We already have a 3P Devs (in MP size) that can be found for more than a bit less than TFC Devastator's original price. Are you just being cynical and assuming prices go up even more, or just hyperbolic? I can understand the former on some level, if that's factoring in for you, but that also underestimates how whiny and bitchy TF fans are. If there's already disgruntlement over Megs/Sunstreaker/Dinobot prices, Takara can't risk antagonizing their target market with an ask that absurd.
    5. If you're satisfied with CW/UW versions, that's perfectly fine. It means MP combiners, official or otherwise, just aren't for you.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    It was said at the NYTF. We will see some of the MPs to be released in america and other countries. Beast wars mps are in max. consideration.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jackisking

News Credits:
    I think whoever is teased with Prowl+ will have a stateside release.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Yes, again! Muhahahahahahaha!

• Like Like x 8
  13. SunSwipe5

My cost estimates were based off of current prices for individual Carbots, Seekers and Coneheads (picturing Superion and Menasor). Yes, I was using stateside pricing. Although, Dinobot is currently 220 at HLJ, where I buy my MPs.

As for 3P, I was using a specific 3P as my basis, since I had been looking at their Combiners prior to my post.

I'm not saying Combiners should never be made, be it MP or 3P. Hell, I own GT Sarge because I wanted a Streetwise.

My concern was over possible pricing for an MP Combiner, given current MP and 3P pricing.

I also made certain to state that it was merely my personal opinion and concern. By no means was I trying to rain on anyone else's MP Combiner parade.

I've said time and again how much I'd love MP Stunticons and Aerialbots. I'm just not going to pay the amount of money I know it will take for a full Combiner. After thinking about it more,I also don't want the individual aesthetics to be compromised for the sake of combining ( noticeable peg holes and the gaudy attachable hand and foot pieces, like on the CW and UW Combiners).

Again, that's just my own opinion/concern.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MP Devastator won't cost that much more than 5 copies of Masterpiece Jazz ;) 

I'm actually looking forward to the aspect of appreciating each member of the combiner teams as their own character, which is what will happen with individual releases. Having them being able to combine is just a massive bonus to having a bunch of new Decepticons or Autobots on the team.

• Like Like x 9
  15. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 TFW2005 Supporter

The individual characters give me life - especially the Constructicons! As I’ve said before, I would be satisfied if they were the only combiner team to see the light of day.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Aussiebot

Aussiebot Well-Known Member

Like the pied piper leading his flock to their doom....hahahahahahahaha

• Like Like x 3
  17. Prowl 76

Prowl 76 Well-Known Member

And would also replicate the experience of trying to collect a combiner as a kid, when you'd slowly acquire them piece-by-piece over a long period of time.

Although, for a truly authentic experience, there'd be one member I just can't find anywhere, leaving me with the frustration of a combiner unable to fully combine :p 

• Like Like x 9
  18. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

I sincerely hope they don't have us hunting around for MP Combiner pieces. It was bad enough trying to stitch together the Seeker series.

• Like Like x 2
  19. 7thParallel

7thParallel Well-Known Member

You guys have a lot of dreams. Whenever I think about just how many characters there are in S1/S2 alone, I'm in awe. That's a LOT of MPs to consider owning in the future. Takara would have to put out five-six a year for us to reasonably hope they'd get done, and even then it'd be a stretch.

Me, I really want to finish the S1 car bots, get the insecticons, and I still hold out hope that the coneheads will get a US/Canada release. That's the only way I'll be able to afford them!

• Like Like x 4
  20. usernamedustin

usernamedustin 3P Scourgatron KO. Has Die-Cast and Ankle-Tilts.

MP-42 will be an Autobot, but maybe it will be a Decepticon. It should be a carbot, unless it isn't a carbot. Then it might be Blaster, but it could be something out of left field, like a minibot or an insect. It could also be a Predacon, but it probably won't be a Maximal. It definitely won't be a Vehicon though.

• Like Like x 5