The -NEW- END ALL BE ALL Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GogDog, Dec 1, 2011.

1. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think this whole numbering ting gets overblown, honestly who cares. If they made Cyclonus and Scourge Mp-11C and S respectively is there anyone who would turn them down because they didn't have their own number?

TM hot rod wasn't exactly what I wanted next but people are getting bent out of shape over a release being marketed to appeal to the Asian market....like Artfire and are throwing a tizzy because somehow an Asian company didn't make what they wanted. Hell he he's being marketed as the western version of Hot Rodimus, a character different from theirs.

Lastly what has Takara publicly revealed to the masses about Dinobot? Anything they have revealed has been revealed to show attendees, even the proto was leaked where people were asked not to take pictures. Blame it on the internet 20-30 years ago most of the people on this board would have been in blissful ignorance because it wouldn't have been shared.

Same with the diaclones/minibots,I'm not worried about if ,only when. Their desire to do so was stated in an carefully crafted interview printed for publication. Meaning it had to get signed of on by other people before it got print. That tends to be a bit more binding than an interview at a show or something and people are allowed to just throw questions at you.
    Okay rant over.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I don't care about the numbers.

However, it's PRETTY FAR better numbering the repaints and redecos under the same main number than making another slot, like MP-28T or MP-32T instead of MP-38 ir 40.

It's a better way to organize their line, they have done the same with MP-10.

3. jackisking

News Credits:
    MP-40 is a new character though

4. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Who?, the white skirt?

5. jackisking

News Credits:
    western version of hot rodimus (hot rod). TM didn't exist in the japanese continuity he's almost an alternate time line hot rodimus....that happened in the west. Kind of like how PM Prime is the western version of Ginrai but he's not Ginrai as they know him.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

I'm going to disagree with that part.

The way I understand it, Hasbro designed a Powermaster Optimus Prime as a way to sell Optimus Prime toys after being brought back to live in the cartoon and the comics (albeit a bit late for the first). Takara who went their own way had no use for a new Optimus Prime figure and thus gave him the name Ginrai (after remoulding the figure) within the new fiction created to use the Hasbro designed new figures (powermasters, smaller headmasters and pretenders), and giving some vague in fiction background that it was intended as a new body for Optimus Prime that yada-yada...

But it was Optimus Prime first, Ginrai second. And Ginrai and Otimus Prime are completely different characters.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Prime135

Prime135 Cyber Planet Key holder for "This Land" TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Takara numbers EVERY SINGLE TF line they release, including g1. It's just what they do. For some reason people have just chosen to obsess over the numbering for masterpiece.

• Like Like x 4
  8. jackisking

News Credits:
    If takara introduced PM prime to japan would he be the same thing as Ginrai? It doesn't matter who had him first ,in the west his PM Prime in the east his Ginrai but neither are the same character. That's my point about MP-40 in the west Hot Rod and friends became TMs in the east they didn't for them this is similiar. Maybe not even that as he would be more a novelty and that's how they are marketing him.

9. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't disagree, but a competitionist is going to complete their collection regardless of how they're numbered, ya know? I don't think they even knows what their numbering system means :lol  . I think one day they just said "know what? This whole number/letter thing just isn't working for us anymore. We have how many actual releases already, but we're only at what? 27 of all releases, so far?? Yeah, let's just release the damned things, huh?" Or something like that :lol  :lol  :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  10. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

Let's just put this in perspective for a moment. The numbers aren't really all that important in the long run; this is absolutely true, and it is absolutely not worth losing one's mind over.

However, up until MP-38 they have been relatively consistent, and we'd normally see a repaint done up with a number of MP-32SC, say, instead of MP-38. Same for MP-28 and 40. It does seem odd, so I think it's worth discussing. We just have to remember this isn't earth-shaking.

I think it was @Ikkstakk that pointed out to me that sub-letters are used for exclusives most often, and most repaints are that if they're not a standalone character. But... these guys are mainline releases. It's odd that they're mainline repaints that aren't a separate character maybe, like Ultra and Delta Magnus, but being a mainline release, they'd usually have their own number as is.

Personally, I'm more curious why they've put these pieces out as mainline and not exclusives more than anything else. Is it just because neither character has any other repaint options?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Tenebre

Tenebre Horrorcon

You basically summed up my way of looking at the MP line. I'm going official for the carbots because TT has shown with Sunstreaker they're willing to move heaven and earth to get the licensing. There are a few other characters I think are 100% locks to get made (like Galvatron). The rest...maybe TT makes them, maybe they don't. But in the meantime, I'll check out some 3P options. I'm trying to not be as impulsive about 3P lately, though, just because there are so many options and it's worth it to wait for one that ticks all the boxes (G1 accuracy, quality build, non-frustrating transformation). Let's hope TT has some surprises for us in 2018, so I don't have to spend a bunch of time researching 3P options.

Yep, Japanese fans clearly care about numbering. Count me as one who doesn't give a damn what numbers they give to the MPs.

12. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    TRANSFORMERS MASTERPIECES ARE DA BESTO FIGURES IN THE WORLD

• Like Like x 1
  13. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

Oh no, Jar Jar is here to state the obvious and ultimately destroy another beloved series! :D :confused: :p 

• Like Like x 5
  14. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Well, actually the best figures in the world are the one-steps.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We know the numbers before we know anything else about specific releases. Last month, if you ask anyone, "Who do you think MP40 will be," you'd get a lot of different answers. Everyone is excited about it, it's a mystery box that might have anything in it. But above all, each number offers the potential of being something new that we haven't seen before, and we know MP40 is coming long before we know what it is.

But if you ask, "Who do you think MP28TM will be," well, the answer is right there in the name. Expectations can be directed. I don't recall anyone really being upset when we found out exactly what MP15-16E was, though we knew the number before we knew any other details, because the number pointed us in a specific direction.

I think I personally do have the expectation, the preference, that each number refer to its own character. Hot Rod already has a number. Any variations of Hot Rod ought to be released under that number. Really it's the same reaction to MP38 being another Optimus Primal release; I would have been happier if that was MP32LG, or something.

And it's also the fact that usually there's only one MP release a month, and now I have to wait another month for the chance to see something I'm interested in.

And, regarding this release in particular, I'm still scratching my head over anyone being excited at a MP that homages anything touched by AKOM. Rebirth was one of the poorer episodes of the old cartoon anyway, with its compressed storytelling and its "Hi, I'm (insert name here)" character introductions, and of course the coloring mistakes.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Steelfire

Steelfire Well-Known Member

You're right. MPs are
    OUT OF THIS WORLD!

• Like Like x 1
  17. chucksbikeorama

chucksbikeorama Decepticreep

Spot on metaphor, exactly this. Reminds me of the notion that 'eat with our eyes', that what we see influences how we perceive the taste of something (proven by wine experts being given white wine dyed to look red, which they then described irrefutably as being fine / vintage red... etc)

I'm very much in Camp A too, as well as being firmly a movable-statues kinda guy.
    I'm occasionally 'shocked' by how light most TT MPs are (Lazerwave I'm looking at you you mono-mutha), esp compared to FT etc, but then I put them back on the shelf, forget all about this and resume my adoring gaze

• Like Like x 1
  18. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    How did this become mp40, and not a sg or dark version? I thought black/hyper/whatever rodimus/hot rod was a higher priority and easier to make?

19. jackisking

News Credits:
    Because we assumed it was or better yet it was the repaint we preferred to see. I wonder if it was Black Hot Rod with Target master would it be same reaction of this being a wasted spot?

20. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would rather it was that. I'd buy it if it was that.

• Like Like x 1