The -NEW- END ALL BE ALL Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GogDog, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Markus76

Markus76 Well-Known Member

Takara doesn't care how angry you get. MP-40 is the prime example. Is anyone happy about MP-40? It might be the worst masterpiece ever. The Beast Wars people are pissed because Dinobot has been dangled in front of them like a carrot and it's getting to the point that carrot has mold on it, and the G1 people are pissed because it's a re-release of a character with a "hat". Now, I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like the hat is just a remold/redeco of Artfire's targetmaster. If it is......

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh no, don't get me wrong, I know takara doesn't give a damn, lol.

• Like Like x 4
  3. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Herald of Thundercracker

It's not. It's the exact same target master that came with the Hasbro version of MP-09, in Rebirth colors.

• Like Like x 4
  4. gambitprime

gambitprime Well-Known Member

Thanks !

Completely agree

• Like Like x 1
  5. Markus76

Wait, wait......

So Takara releases MP-09 then Hasbro releases Masterpiece Rodimus Prime without his trailer as Hot Rod with a targetmaster and now Takara is putting that targetmaster mold with MP-29 and calling it MP-40.

That is some epic next level reaching to milking every dollar they can get.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Steelfire

Steelfire Well-Known Member

Legitimate question: Would you think differently if it was numbered "MP 28TM" or something like that instead of "MP 40"?

• Like Like x 1
  7. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

I think that's the question of the month.

It doesn't make much sense at all, but it may be that there really is some kind of delay, and they just need to damn we'll get something numbered 40 in there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steelfire

I just think there are times when numbers are important, but this isn't really one of them. I don't understand why people would get upset (if they are? I also don't understand if they are...) that this is "40" and not "28TM". I wouldn't feel any differently about the toy, the line, or the company if this was called "MP 888" or "MP -0.07" or "MP e^pi".

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  9. jbot

jbot Disciple of A3

News Credits:
    Yeah. MP-40 Is a Masterpiece version of USA Masterpiece Rodimus Prime. In Japan they think it's a separate character. They call him Frustrated Convoy because he can only transform into an immature version of himself. The big gun is him compensating.

• Like Like x 11
  10. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

Lol, there's always someone that's angry ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  11. Markus76

Yes it would. This comes across as them padding the numbers in a lame attempt to hide how inept they've been at releasing new molds. You release the same character.... the same character ..... with a new accessory that isn't a new accessory and give him a new MP number. This is obviously a new action by Takara because they didn't care about this when they were releasing their MP-11TC and MP-11SW and the 10s of MP-11's there were.

I don't even care about Beast Wars and it irks me how they dangle Dinobot out there with still no designation. Takara has taken to moving at an unbelievable snail's pace with these releases at this point, and they're releasing new MP's that are re-releases of previous MP's with new accessories. It's maddening seeing this.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Danny Boy

Danny Boy lol@hoodlum

News Credits:
    Here's a theory, numbered releases are Takara Tomy moving onto their next release be it repaint or not. Hasbro Asia initiatives get the letter numbering. It makes sense with the more recent releases like the Seekers, Coneheads and Cassettes.

• Like Like x 1
  13. snoopcow

snoopcow Yara Naika?

To make ocd mp enthusiast feel compelled to buy it.

All the past mps with alphabet behind the number ended up being sold for 80% off.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Steelfire

Where the parliament funk can I get MP 11ND for 80% off?!

• Like Like x 11
  15. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Herald of Thundercracker

I'm not sure how my previous posts made my opinion appear, but personally I'm not too concerned over numbers, especially ever since it was fully established that mass release = number, mall release = letter. We used to have so many debates over why Bluestreak got a number but Seeker X didn't ... If I did care about numbers I wouldn't skip the occasional release like I do.

I am curious why MP-38 and 40 were retail and not mall releases, but it doesn't bother me. I do wish Takara were a little more upfront over whether perceived delays were real delays or not though. It's a little more difficult to budget when you don't have a timetable.

Anyways ... since so many are convinced more season 3 MPs are coming, and their lack of reuse options - there is one, maybe two I think people have been forgetting. Takara is clearly more than willing to take reuse ideas from eHobby so ... Kup to Orion Pax and Wheelie to Dion. I kinda don't see Wheelie to Dion happening, but since Takara has already shown a willingness to remold eHobby figures with Road Rage, I definitely see Orion Pax as a possible reuse for an MP Kup.

16. HolyCulture

HolyCulture I can't count apparently hahaha

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I personally am pretty excited for an MP Orion Pax. And Springer should sell pretty well. I know repaints are a big help. But there should be a business model where one mold isn't dependent on repaints. I bet Springer happens sooner than later.

• Like Like x 1
  17. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For better or for worse these gaps in official MP releases are giving 3rd parties the space in which to thrive as, if you have the money, you don't have to sit and wait for the next TT release when so many other options are now on the table.

Personally I've yet to be swayed from the official figures when it comes to the car bots. These figures are Takara's forte and Sunstreaker, while not perfect, just can't get here fast enough. Please Takara, can we get a Hound in the next 12 months that doesn't look oversized in vehicle mode? Go on, pretty please.

I just want to complete one subset soon. Be it all season 1. All season 2. The main movie cast. Something. I can still see me wanting to complete collections when I'm 50 at this rate which is depressing. I think the wishing of the months away until the next bone is thrown our way is making life seem like it's flying by too fast... Or maybe I just need to become less invested in the line to allow me to take a step back and actually enjoy the slow trickle.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  18. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I don't disagree with the thought MP-40 isn't deserving of a new number...but when MP-38 Is a new number, how is this any different? I dunno, the importance of the numbering system, if there ever was any, went out the window a long time ago when diaclone repaints were getting their own numbers, while major characters like the seekers were letter designations.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Well, 8 days just four our pre-pre-pre-pre-last hope.

20. HolyCulture

HolyCulture I can't count apparently hahaha

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I personally don't think Takara gives a damn about people's obsessive interests in their numbering system. I believe that they know it sells more toys for completionists and I don't mind that.

They might also just do it for their own unknown reasons that we can't comprehend without more knowledge.

Either way I don't care. I am a completionist and I am excited for a repainted Hotrod.

• Like Like x 4