The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The scale made no sense since ultra magnus, i don't know why people are still so obsessed with it.

2. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Because:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 11
  3. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Exactly.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    I'm proving my point against you. Look at the line beforehand, how ugly it was without scale.

Utter hyperbole to say it makes no sense since Ultra Magnus. Magnus was an exception to the rule to allow inter-playability between the cars and a car carrier. Same way Ravage, Rumble are too small because they need to fit inside Soundwave's chest. When it's necessary, TT will bend the rules. Otherwise they stick to the scale chart as best they can.

Much better:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
  5. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

I don't think that's quite true. They've kept it pretty well in a consistent range since MP-09 with Ultra Magnus being a notable and pretty obvious exception. Shockwave was definitely smaller than expected, but not line-breaking or anything.

The thing I'd like to see is them stay in that range of scale, so we don't have any crazy MP-5 situations against modern stuff, but keep the focus on designs being top notch. If they abandoned their focus on one or the other, it would have a pretty severely negative effect.

Now alt-modes on the other hand... those I just can't get worked up about for scale. They're pretty off the mark to begin with.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, but i never said that the scale from before the MP-10 was much better (obviously not).
    After the mp-10 the line took OTHER direction, it doesn't matter how out of scale was before, TT learned about that making the scale consistent after it.
    Anyway, you should admitt that the scale from Prime to the cars was really fine, even though the next after UM scale better than him.
    Basically, magnus is the only out-of-scale in robot mode.
    Ultra magnus was big in the original toy, but in the scale from sunbow he was a head taller but more robust.

7. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Yup, agreed. Magnus and the cassettes are the only glaring out-of-scale releases in robot mode since MP-10. But there's a good reason for it.

We might see the same kind of thing with someone like Menasor, where they try to scale the individual cars to fit in with the main car line in alt mode because that's an important gimmick from Trans Europe Express - but then again they might not bother.

• Like Like x 2
  8. prowl07

prowl07 Well-Known Member

I love the Masterpiece line and the scale is not too bad. I'd like to see a few more minicars though.

9. Metal Sonic

Metal Sonic Slightly-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm perfectly content with the scale they've given us so far. Even though Shockwave is smaller than Megatron he's still a force to be reckoned with next to Ironhide or Prowl, and Magnus' hugeness isn't so bad either with him being this hardened commander guy. I almost wouldn't want him to be smaller, I think the insane height he has over everyone else works perfectly.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Markus76

Markus76 Well-Known Member

Ultra Magnus had to be a little bigger in robot mode for his cab to be the same size as Prime's. I'm amazed at how many people bitch about his size in robot mode. Sure, it's maybe an inch or at most 2 taller than you might think, but good lord, you can't have it both ways. If it was such a huge issue a third party company would release another G1 Magnus.

Horrible...just horrible....Takara should just close up the doors because their scaling is the worst.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ultra Magnus is 1 inch too tall.

WORST TOY EVER!

But, if you don't like that huge butt flap, well, carry on with that discussion. haha

• Like Like x 13
  11. Markus76

Markus76 Well-Known Member

Shockwave is quite possibly the only one that I feel should have been taller. In gun mode, he feels small in your hand too.

12. danny boy

danny boy Banned

News Credits:
    Shockwave is spot on perfect to the scale chart and cartoon.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  13. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Shockwave is a hair taller than Starscream and a bit shorter than Soundwave, which is pretty consistent with the animation. I think he's one of the most underrated MPs in the line. Only guy post MP-10 whose size was a bit of a bother for me was Hot Rod, who I think should've been closer to Ironhide's height. I understand he's the size he is so that he can fit on Ultra Magnus' trailer, but he barely fits on there as is. As long as they're in the right relative ballpark, which I think they pretty much all have been since MP-10, I'm good.

• Like Like x 9
  14. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Ninja'd by Danny Boy!

15. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Agreed, he's prety in spot, from the start i didn't know why the people wanted him taller than it should be.

I think the problem was because the 3P made their versions with that size and "heroic" porportions and the people liked it (me being one of those).

MY REAL problem with shockwave is the color of everything, is too clear.

• Like Like x 2
  16. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

The comics made Shockewave a massive powerhouse that could take on Megatron and all 5 Dinobots single-handed (pun intended). I think that's the source of people perceiving him as too short.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):

And here is my problem with magnus, he's too robust and thick, the profile, it's not just the size, and the proportions aren't helping that good.

But i'm fine with his size and i still love him, here the problem is the people who wants a "100% IN SCALE OR NOT BUY AND WORST LINE EVAH".

18. HolyCulture

HolyCulture Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You seem like a rational person. If you have those barbaric hateful yelpers in your feed just ignore them. I just added a few gents to my ignore list in the Sunstreaker thread. :) 

• Like Like x 4
  19. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Totally agreed with you Dean. That screen cap by Danny Boy pretty much satisfies how much I remember Shockwave height. In addition, since I'm a toon person, I never view Shockwave as that large and tough bot like he was in the Marvel comic. Therefore, MP Shockwave height is perfect for me. My nitpicky on him, I wish his purple was more like the toy. In regard to Hot Rod, I always thought the movie bots such as Springer, Hot Rod, and even Arcee are at least Ironhide/Grapple height, but not at the carbots. I'm really interest in seeing how TTomy handles Springer height. Will his height the same as Hot Rod, Ironhide, or even at Rodimus?

As for MP22, I never had any issue with his height or body mass...love that figure. My biggest issue with MP22 is his ginormous butt flap. Yes, I fold the butt flap up but the fact I know it's still exist doesn't help my ease of mind, lol. What's killing about MP22 to me, he's a !@#$%ing awesome and exquisite MP UM I have ever seen yet TTomy just stop 1 step short of delivering that Perfect figure. I feel like if I see Kobayashi in person, grab his shirt with both of my hand and ask him, why couldn't you put one extra hinge at the butt flap!

To end my rant, here's the high note with the Movie bots cast, MP22 height looks good, not a bad scale compare to the pre-MP10:
    19466390_476785839338515_5818947368434111578_o.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  20. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe one day Takara will give us most of the 86 cast:( . Atleast Blaster helps as he fits in with the movie bots. I know people want jazz but I wouldn't mind if the next carbot was blurr or kup.

• Like Like x 3