The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...i just hope takara get season-one beast forms out of their system as quickly as possible, because i'm all-in for masterpiece transmetals; they go spectacularly-well with insecticons, dinobots, and all manner of G1 creepy-crawlies...

• Like Like x 2
  2. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    It says a lot about a person's character to wish others misfortune.

And the argument that Masterpiece isn't focused on G1 is frankly preposterous anyway. The line is producing 10+ figures a year. When only 2 of them are from a different series (in this instance, Beast Wars), upwards of 80% of the line is still catering exclusively to G1. That's pretty focused.

• Like Like x 5
  3. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

Just a point of order here... FYI You need to use the multi-quote button if you want to reference a block of text, or it won't actually refer back.

Did season 2 hit in Japan? I've always wondered this because I've heard that S1 was wildly different because of how it was dubbed, and S2 was a total surprise. They might not actually do the transmetals, fuzors and TM2s if that's the case. It'd be a shame, because I loved that roadster rat design, but if they want the international appeal, dropping the core of Japan fans would be a weird move.

4. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

Yeah, something wasn't working so I went the direct route. It was something on my end, not the site.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tenebre

Tenebre Sharkticon

I recently bought Badcube's SunSurge, and I think he looks great (glad I didn't go for Spinout), but I'd buy an official Sunstreaker in a heartbeat.

We'll see if they get to the Transmetals/Fuzors era. Of course, it'd be nice to have the entire BW cast in MP form, but I feel the S1 cast is more crucial to have completed, if only because the toys didn't match the characters on screen (in some cases, they were wildly different, like Blackarachnia). Starting with S2, the character models matched the toys perfectly, so there's less of a pressing need for MP-level versions, or even Generations versions. That being said, I'd love to see an MP Transmetal Megatron.

• Like Like x 2
  6. gambitprime

gambitprime Well-Known Member

Arcee, Chromedome, Sunstreaker, Jazz, Rhinox, Hound... All of them are worthy to be masterpieces !

• Like Like x 2
  7. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think seasons 2 and 3 were subbed as beast wars metals there. I know they original figures were at least released there in one way or another.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They got Seasons 2 and 3, it was presented as a sequel series over there called Beast Wars Metals. They got the toys too. I think they'll do the Transmetals; if they only did the in-show Season 1 characters, they'd be done after just fourteen releases.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    Those who complain about BW being part of the Masterpiece line shouldn't be calling for less BW figures -- they should be calling for more. Why? Because in just two years, TT could do the entire S1 BW cast and then draw a line under it. Done. Finished. Those two years will give the die-hard G1 fans time to save their money for the wall to wall, undiluted onslaught of pure, glorious G1-ness that would follow.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Tenebre

Tenebre Sharkticon

True, but that's still fourteen releases, in an already crowded release schedule with G1 still getting most of the slots. I think sometimes we're a bit quick to assume Takara will do complete casts, but we're guaranteed nothing. At least with BW, a complete cast, even if only S1, is doable compared to G1. I'll be happy with what we get, but I'm not going to hold my breath that they will do every single BW character, in every different body over the show's run. The one good thing about BW is no car licensing to hold things up. :D 

• Like Like x 2
  11. Prime135

Prime135 Friend of Arcee

News Credits:
    Tumblr:
    Mmmmmm... onslaught...:drool: 

• Like Like x 3
  12. JJohnson

JJohnson Well-Known Member

Oh absolutely. I agree. I want the US season 1 and 2 first, and later seasons are icing on the cake to me

• Like Like x 1
  13. JoshFinn

JoshFinn Getting real sick of your shit starscream

Masterpiece Armada Optimus Prime, beast wars is already getting a 4th figure

• Like Like x 3
  14. zappatton2

zappatton2 Well-Known Member

I think we'll get all the Diaclone/Autobot cars eventually, I think it's just gonna take a while. That said, I doubt we'll ever get the full ark crew, as I'm very doubtful we'll get all the mini-bots. I'm trying to think about them as if I were a casual collector, and I doubt Gears or Huffer would turn my head if I only had a moderate interest in MPs. That said, I want to be wrong and get them all!!!

15. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

I think we're a few years out from Trilogy figures yet. Most likely when they hit the anniversary they'll start them up, same as Beast Wars.

Damn guys, that was quick. That explains the PS2 game back then, lol. I'm curious how they rectified the storyline against their first dub.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I've been thinking about if Jazz will be the next Masterpiece figure and I have some thoughts and concerns.

For one thing, Porsche has got to realize the deal Takara will make with this. I mean if they sold like a million Jazz and Porsche got a percentage of those profits, that's got to be a good one. Plus they get something extra for the Licensing, right? I mean, since VW owns them and Lambor, they should see how successful Masterpieces were.

Also, when was that rumor of MP39 Dinobot and MP40 Jazz or Hound announced? Because I remember if February, they announced that this year they will release a figure everyone wants. Jazz is practically the number one character of all, Hound not so much. I'd be fine if Jazz was delayed until MP-41 or MP-42. I just don't want them to say Jazz is MP-Never.

Plus they have to announce the next Masterpiece soon. Looking at all past Masterpiece figures, once they are announced it takes at least 6 to 9 months to release. And they said they intend to release both figures this year. I mean, MP Dinobot was announced last month. I would think he will be released between August to November. And for MP40 (Whoever that is) I would assume between a September or December release.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. snoopcow

snoopcow Mold hoarder

I'm a furry hater, but the two bw mps are quite amazing in bot mode. Primal is like a small HotToys ironman/warmachine with his hydraulic ankles and hidden weapons. I love it so much i am one of the few who preordered mp38 in my state, lol.

18. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was a rumor from TCracker's supplier, I think he just posted it yesterday. It made me think that Takara must be close enough to signing the contract with Porsche that they feel comfortable penciling in Jazz at 40. But if there's another holdup, they have Hound ready as a backup plan. Jazz and Hound are probably pretty similar as far as parts count, manufacturing/assembly time goes, so they can do their cost analysis sheets for the year without being 100% sure who will actually go forward and they won't be too far off.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Hopefully, but what else could hold up Jazz? If Porsche made the deal, there shouldn't be anything else.

20. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I'm remembering correctly from our person that had Porsche connections, one of the issues with Porsche & licensing is them being very protective of their brand. It wasn't simply a money thing.

Things can change, of course, as others have already touched on (money/exposure becomes worth their while, people in key roles change, shifts in policy, etc.), and Takara having the Tomy connection could help in all of this, but I don't think it's ever been as easy as "VW & Lamborghini did deals with Takara & things went well, so Porsche should see that" is a bit simplistic on its face.

Takara being Takara and just wanting to do other things first? Intentionally holding off a big name carbot to keep eyeballs on the line, a la how long they held off doing Megs (and still are with Galvatron)?

Executing a release order in descending order of who's most popular has never been their game. They could be cushy enough with Porsche after all to do a deal but just decide not to for their own reasons.

• Like Like x 1