The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Tenebre

Tenebre Sharkticon

I just got Badcube SunSurge recently, and he's one of my favorite 3P MPs so far. Looks so good standing next to Sideswipe. But I'll definitely pick up a Takara Sunstreaker if/when they make him.

I can't find it in me to sell any of my TFs either. I sold about 90% of my G1's (including Fort Max!) when I was a kid and have regretted it ever since. So I'm gunshy about selling anything in my collection, on the off chance that I might regret it later.

It would be a perfect time to start introducing minibots or Insecticons into the line to counter-act the more expensive releases, but as I think that's unlikely, a "normal-sized" carbot would fit the bill.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BombSquad

BombSquad Commander Broadside Proponent

News Credits:
    I think Hound would fit the bill for a mid-range carbot, no? Or would he be closer to Ironhide/Ratchet?

3. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

He was fairly present in S1, but I'd say Ratchet and Ironhide in particular were around more. Probably because Peter Cullen did Ironhide's voice too, so he was convenient to use since Prime was in all the episodes.

4. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

A jeep is a little smaller than a Vanette or pickup truck. I think Hound would be closer in pricing to the carbots, maybe just a smidge more. He definitely wouldn't be over 100.00 like the vans, but I don't know that he would be 79.99 like the cars. Maybe somewhere in between.

• Like Like x 2
  5. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...the mitsubishi jeep was a tiny little thing, smaller than most modern passenger cars: a standard-sized carbot would be appropriate...

...ohmigosh, i just realised that masterpieces are priced approximately 10X the original retail price of G1 transformers...

6. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Thanks for the info :) . I'm a novice when it comes to all the technical aspects of vehicles :oops: . It makes sense that Hound would be the same price point as the carbots. He may not be on my list of favorites, but I would definitely buy an MP Hound. Of course, I would then need an MP Beachcomber. I don't know why, but I always team them up together.

7. Prime135

Prime135 Friend of Arcee

News Credits:
    Tumblr:
    Recheck those prices, the van bros were NEVER over $100.00. They were $89.99 each and that was from BBTS.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Prime135

Prime135 Friend of Arcee

News Credits:
    Tumblr:
    Soooo, random thought. Did some checking and in TF victory galaxy shuttle was about a head taller than starsaber in bot mode, or, exactly how tall skyfire is supposed to be. After seeing a review of fanstoys Phoenix, I'd love to see someone tackle an MP galaxy shuttle at that size to go with him. Feel like they'd look really good together.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GearsRollo

I think people are confusing the vanette's with the fusos for pricing. The fusos have a ton of parts so they're $130. Ive seen the Vanettes for 110, but that may be because of collector coins.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Devastator21

Devastator21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    they were $89.99 on bbts and you can get them on ebay for 85 without coin
    wit a coin they were $100 and the asia edition was 104 bc it had the extra part

11. GearsRollo

Ah, there you go. That new accessory edition is where that price tag can from!

Either way, I'd expect Hound to be in the same price range as the general cars. I doubt we'd be lucky enough to have him at the same price as Cheetor (I think Hot Rod was a little cheaper too, but I didn't get him). I'd guess somewhere in the $80-90 range is where the standard cars will land from now on.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Prime135

Prime135 Friend of Arcee

News Credits:
    Tumblr:
    But why? Why does anyone think the price for a standard carbot will change? The price on everything else has remained pretty consistent if you look at the original Japanese MSRP. Megatron is slightly more expensive (like $10 USD) than MP-10 was originally because he has a sound gimmick. Shockwave was more expensive than soundwave because he included two led gimmicks. The grapferno mold includes larger and more complex figures and accessories than even the van bros. The last carbot we got was hot rod and he was actually cheaper than most of his breatheran while being about a head taller. Cheetor who is about the same size as a carbot is the same old $79.99. So I repeat the question, what gives anyone the indication that the price of a carbot is going to increase?

13. Type-R

Type-R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The price (Japanese MSRP w/o tax) of MP carbots has increased a few times since MP-12 was first released. So there is precedent.

¥5,800 - MP-12, 14, 17, 18
    ¥6,500 - MP-19, 12G, 20, 23
    ¥7,500/7,000 - MP-25 (cost more due to display stand), MP-26
    ¥8,000 - MP-28*

*MP-28 is the only one at this price point and is not a licenced carbot. It may not be a good indicator if future carbots will be priced the same

MP-21 and MP-21G are excluded since they are not in the standard carbot size class and have additional accessories (Exosuit, Jetpack) to pad the price.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  14. GearsRollo

I'm not saying that it will necessarily, but if they decide to do Hound and he's a standard carbot size, what's to say that they won't give him a stack of nifty accessories or 'toon features like Ironhide/Ratchet or Inferno/Grapple? Again, not saying any one way or the other, just thinking that they might want to do more than the one pistol +1 bonus accessory that was more or less the standard. Now, Tracks did have a lot more stuff with him, and he was also the same price point as other pieces, so it is possible they can still do it and maintain the same price.

Personally, I'd be fine with another 5 bucks for some of the cool extras. I had Inferno reenacting The Bodyguard with Red Alert for about a month because my wife thought it was so funny that Transformers did it first.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Type-R

Type-R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If Tracks didn't include the display stand, he would probably have cost the same as Road Rage (¥7,000), which was ¥500 more than the previous carbots (Smokescreen, G2 Lambor, Wheeljack and Exhaust - ¥6,500).

16. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Hound will come with a cage for Ravage, so you can count that in his accessories.

Just realised that as much as I'm hoping for Jazz this year I'd be quite happy with the prospect of a Hound. Hopefully he'd have the same excellent level of articulation that Inferno and Megatron seem to have, maybe he could even pull off this pose:

[​IMG]

Would be great to have a green Autobot. They could even include a new version of Spike - one like Raoul which is a little bigger and fixed in a 'driving' position.

Plus it could mean Cliffjumper would be close behind, assuming they don't try and do a licenced Porsche. Hound is probably the key to opening up those minibots. Would be a good time for him.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  17. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, they're not. The 85 cars were $12.99 at normal retail, even with BBTS markup the MPs are only $80.

18. GearsRollo

Man, I remember my granddad taking me to the Towers (think Canadian Target in the '80's) when I was little to buy me some toys, and ending up with an armful of MOTU because he was horrified at the TF prices. I think he bought me Thundercracker because I begged, and then Moss Man and Stratos.

19. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes way, I remember I got Rodimus Prime from BEST for 12.99 that was like seekers/dinobot prices. I got Hot rod for aout 8 something after taxes I think, I went BEST and got him a graduation gift. I got ten dollars from my mom and still had change. Tranformers were relatively cheap here i think the Devatator giftset was like $ 24.00 they were about 3.99 apiece. I remember one of the local supermarkets selling even constructicons and encyclopedias.

20. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The 1985 Sears Christmas catalog has them listed at $9.99:

1985 Sears Wishbook

Modern MPs are 6500 yen which works out to about $65, so not a 10 times increase.

You are correct that $12.99 is the seeker/dinobot prices, I looked at the wrong page the first time.

• Like Like x 1