The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Tenebre

Tenebre Sharkticon

I really think they're just trying to keep collectors interested. Look how we're all waiting breathlessly for word of the next G1 announcement. They know a lot of MP collectors will be out once we get a reasonably complete S1/S2/Movie lineup (or even just a S1 lineup for some folks). Of course, the danger of playing the long game too long is collectors may get fed up and move on to other things.

Yeah, I learned a while back not to bother waiting for a domestic release with MPs. When the reboot started, I picked up the Hasbro release of MP-10 and really dug it. I did more research online and discovered MP-11 and MP-12 and the new and exciting direction for the line. Decided then to just buy Takara rather than wait. I'm sure most other collectors did the same.

:thumb  This man knows what he's talking about. G1's not going anywhere.

Good point. No hand-wringing about going for toon accuracy, toy accuracy, or a mix of both for the BW line.

2. DinoSnarl

DinoSnarl Banned

News Credits:
    Nobody said the sky is falling. There is no need for over exaggeration. And I never said they weren't going to make Hound.

All I was saying is that Takara seem to be getting stuck into BW and I believe the number of G1 releases will slow down. I NEVER SAID STOP.
    I do believe they're testing the waters for how fans would react to MP characters from other eras, so at some eventual stage I do think we might start seeing MP Transformers Prime, MP Beast Hunters, or MP WFC/FOC.

3. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

You know what? No. That's not what you said. People on this board continually tried to reassure you that nothing was getting abandoned and that they're just broadening the line, and you personally kept coming back and saying they'll just move on to something else. People actually sat down and looked at how Takara has released stuff over the last few years to try to make you feel better and you responded with negativity to that offered hand.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Enterlaw

Enterlaw Well-Known Member

I would like to add, again, that there are clearly documents missing and lines redacted from the link that I read from. Also, it's a much "lighter" agreement than I would have thought. Some of which was maybe explained by the time, when I reference agreements from the 80's, they are also silent on far more issues than are super-inclusive, anal-retentive agreements of today. So there's a lot of wiggle room for how things could operate between the two companies, particularly how they develop/approve designs etc. these docs focused more on distribution rights, territories, IP ownership, and film/tv/3rd party marketing rights.

I missed the post about what Mr. Alvarez said, so I can't comment as to that. The agreements here are foundational, to be sure, but don't paint a complete picture. If I were to guess conservatively, I'd say I have 55%-60% of the story.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I see, makes sense, thanks. If I stumble upon anything else, I'll be sure to float it your way.

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It is.

7. Markus76

Markus76 Well-Known Member

Sure, the big names will sell, but I can tell you that TRU was practically giving Bluestreak away to get rid of them. I saw it was marked down as at least to $30 on their website, and it might have gone lower.

8. GearsRollo

I don't doubt that some of the less popular characters won't sell as well, but I think Bluestreak suffered specifically from a price rise compared to Prowl only 6 month earlier or so, which probably put buying a Takara one seem better to a lot of buyers.

Starscream worked great because of the price point espescially, and of course his character importance, but Bumblebee is a franchise character too, and his pricing is terrible. That's adds up to shelfwarming pretty quick, I figure.

9. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I would like to get Maketoys Downbeat because I feel there will be no MP Jazz at this point. But I feel I should give Takara 2 to 3 more years for them to make a real Jazz or any of the others. Right now, I just want a Porsche in my collection (even though it's not a real Porsche).

10. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll say I think there's a real possibility they're holding Jazz to be the final Diaclone car. Assuming they're trying to finish the Diaclone cars before they start the Minibots, they can roll right from Jazz into Cliffjumper and possibly only have to deal with Porsche once.

11. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cool. For those that don't speak Japanese, is there an english version of the JP site or do you use google translate or something?

12. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    MP-10 is a great figure in ways that MP-01 wasn't. However, as good as it was, it's now an almost 6 year old design. There's definitely room for improvement. Takara is leaning towards making their MP's more "action-figure" like according to the Generation book interviews. By action-figure like I'm guessing more emphasis on articulation and heroic sculpts.

With that said, it does look like MP-10 comes up short(design-wise) next to MP Megatron V2. I think it's inevitable that Takara eventually retools MP-10 with better hip articulation and in cartoon colors to match the new MP Megatron.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sweep

Sweep worse then vehicon drones

News Credits:
    I believe up in the top bar of the site there is a globe like icon if you click it everything will be in English.

• Like Like x 1
  14. geekatron prime

geekatron prime The Grammar Police must be on strike.

News Credits:
    If they ever did do a v3 of Optimus Prime, it wouldn't surprise me if they re-did him as MP-50. That would be a big milestone for the line. Possibly with a powermaster compatible trailer to combine with. That would be truly awesome.

15. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Hasbro? No. Hasbro does nothing with the MP line designwise. It's Takara's line.

But to go along with Megatron, Takara may possibly release a MP-10 + Optimus Prime: the same mould, but in cartoon accurate colours (white legs/pelvis) and less painted details (no silver stripes on his arms, or painted leg vents). All to make him look more accurate to the cartoon and work better along the similar deco'ed Megatron.

A new mould sometime in the future isn't unlikely. G1 Optimus Prime sells and is likely the best selling TF of all time. They'd be fools not to release a new mould sometime in the future -- not the powermaster because that's Ginrai. But it will then likely herald a new re-boot for the line and not be part of the current MP line, or simply a stand alone release.

• Like Like x 1
  16. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is. Using Google translate. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  17. Prowl 76

Prowl 76 Well-Known Member

Has anyone in Canada been able to order from Amazon Japan?

I keep checking, but it says they won't deliver to my area.

18. GearsRollo

Nah, we're locked to Canada for a lot of stuff on Amazon. Just go look at Anime Export or Hobby Link Japan if you want to try that route.

19. Prowl 76

Prowl 76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I get most of my stuff from NY and occasionally AmiAmi and AE, but was curious if Amazon JP might offer better value with cheaper shipping. Hopefully they open up to Canada eventually.

20. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind a new mold, with shorter arms and better legs. One thing I never understood is why they did the legs with just a panel covering the wheels. I would have made it so the wheels slide into the main body and then that way the leg cover sits flush with the rest of the leg. Would be more cartoon accurate and I personally think it would make the legs look better in general.