The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Noobimus Prime

Noobimus Prime Well-Known Member

Version 3 seekers are certainly a possibility but probably not for a very long time. It's hard to imagine Takara announcing a brand new starscream when they just completed the set. I feel like the fan backlash would be enormous.

I wonder why a third party hasn't attempted a fix for the lack of ankle tilt? I feel like that's a untapped goldmine

2. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hard to say. Is a year a "long time" when it comes to MPs? I could see it maybe a year from Dirge's release. No sooner, probably.

Honestly, who knows with Takara... But I think you might be overestimating "fan backlash" in this case. Yeah, some of us will be annoyed, but there are quite a few people posting here who really, really want this to happen... And in the end, if it's significantly more "cartoon accurate", most of us will end up buying it, regardless.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the only reason they haven't tried that is because it's so hard to disassemble the lower legs. The hole covers being glued in is probably to much risk for most to attempt, and so those kinds of add ons probably wouldn't sell so well.

4. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    (sad sigh)

I was hoping for a reveal at this show this weekend as much so we could start (it'd still need to keep happening through at least next year, at least, to start reasonably expecting anything consistently) seeing a trend of reveals at this show and thus providing us with another tentpole during the year of when to expect some news. Now we're back to (or never left) the randomness that we had before. It was always a selfish desire, but a desire nonetheless. If TB77 hears anything about why we didn't get anything (if anything was planned but backed off, if we got our hopes up, if the Megs leak has anything to do with it), I'd love to hear it out of curiosity.

Guess it's back to waiting to at least the October toy mag scans, if nothing else comes out before that.

Yup. MP-10 came out, famously, not that long after the Final Shot MP-1 release, with MP-11 not long after that. Without knowing about Sideswipe & Soundwave initially (I recall TCracker reporting back then that Takara didn't believe the outdated alt mode would sell well), plenty of people were up in arms over re-doing those two and sarcastically wondering how quickly they'll redo the others from MP2-9 before starting on V3 versions.

That said, if/when we get a new Starscream mold, I still hope we at least get G2 versions out of the current mold first (and maybe a new Ghost too) so, like the Deluxe mold in Classics, people have the option to jump on one mold that's comprehensive (for MP purposes, at least) in the options it offers vs adopting a new mold that's more accurate but who knows if/when we'll get all the redecos/remolds from that version.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

And Cliffjumper.

I wouldn't be upset at all if they started working on the Minibots. Brawn would top my list as the first minibot I'd want to see, but TT will probably throw us a curve and give us Huffer or Gears... and I still wouldn't be mad.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah, wasn't really counting him as he's a Minibot.

Other than Bumblebee, I have my doubts. Takara may not think they're worthy... Not saying they're impossible by any means, but I need a firm indication that they're interested (i.e. an announcement of one who isn't the second-most recognizable Transformer character ever) before getting my hopes up.

7. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Did he say that? I actually recall him asking on the forum if we would be interested in a smaller scale series of MP figures as cars. He hinted at the time I believe at the upcoming Real Cars Series.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly this. Instead of opining that every last character in the pantheon has an equal shot at becoming a MP, we need to ask ourselves if Takara really views the line in that way. Who's really deserving of a spot in this line? Is there such a thing as diluting the premium nature of the line by adding in too many B- and C-list characters? I would think that Brawn beats Inferno and Grapple in a popularity contest every day of the week... and he'd be cheaper to make and he has an in-show remold. Yet Inferno got the nod. Why? Seems most likely to me that the Minibots are off the table... and if they're out, then a whole lot of other characters are out too. This line remains exclusively for the Diaclone cars and the very most well-known of the franchise. A couple more years and they're done. When that happens, which is more likely: launching into the obscure for ever-diminishing returns, or a reboot to Masterpiece 3.0?

I know which option I think Takara is leaning toward.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lbsammills51

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He did, because I recall specifically asking him about why Soundwave wasn't a candidate based on his intel at the time. Though yes, I do recall him asking about the smaller scale car-based MP series as well.

10. Noobimus Prime

If the rumor about MP Reflector is true then I don't see why anyone and everyone isn't on the table. reflector was a D list character that had a very small handful of appearances on the show. If he is indeed in line for an MP slot i dont see why the mini bots or any c lister wouldn't be considered

11. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    lol when did this rumour start?

We shouldn't put any stock in rumours. Only cold hard facts! And reasoned conclusions based upon them. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Keyword there is "IF" ;) 

13. Lbsammills51

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TB77 mentioned being surprised at Reflector, along with Megs and something else not being shown off at a recent show (the show that revealed Dirge?) and didn't know what Takara was waiting for. I hadn't heard any legit rumor or hint at Reflector before then. Reflector was specifically named too.

14. Noobimus Prime

This came from Trailbreaker77 who has been a reliable source in the past. There was a recent toy show and supposedly Jazz or Reflector were to be presented but it didn't end up happening for whatever reason.

15. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Huh, okay. Must have missed that one.

16. giafunk

giafunk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Everybody keeps saying this but what exactly is his track record. I've been around for awhile and haven't seen a single thing from him come to fruition. Just curious.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    We're getting Grapple and Inferno and people are still debating whether we're gonna get B or C listers? Really? It's not a case of if, just when.

18. Lbsammills51

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I haven't exactly written things down, but most recently he knew ahead of time about Loud Pedal & Delta Magnus and hinted the Megs design may not make everyone happy (which matches up with the prototype that's leaked, assuming it's proved to be legit). He's generally had an idea of when an announcement may hit, typically at a show. Others may remember more.

What he's offered hasn't been quite as sexy as what TCracker's had to offer, so what he's offered is probably easier to get lost in the shuffle. Some of what he's had to offer is also context or a notion of background info (Shockwave's design was supposedly finalized a long time ago, but Takara held off on placing it in the MP lineup).

• Like Like x 1
  19. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Anyone who was an '84/'85 carbot fits neatly within the established parameters of the Masterpiece line. Grapple and Inferno are not the game changers you're making them out to be, unfortunately.

Give me a Minibot who isn't Bumblebee - that is a clear indication that Takara is expanding the line. Give me an '86 moviebot who isn't Hot Rod - ditto.

Again, I'm not saying this isn't impossible. In fact, given that Takara is quickly running out of Diaclonesque carbots, they're going to have to expand the line at some point, and soon. Maybe that's what the Beast Wars stuff is all about. Perhaps they view the "deluxe" carbots from seasons one and two as part of G1's "main cast", and they want to move to another main cast. Maybe that bodes well for guys like Kup and Blurr, who knows? But other than Beast Wars, there aren't any clear indications of what Transformers "sub-groups" they plan on including in the Masterpiece line, Minibots included, I'm afraid.

20. The Smirker

The Smirker I Hate Sam Darnold

I'll believe anything, but is megs and sorta reflector confirmed? Also Takara is going to shitpost different groups like minibots at us?