The new direction with Bulk

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Torque, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, it reminded me of him too. It was a very interesting part of the film, imo.

2. ChromeBlade

ChromeBlade Well-Known Member

Since when is fear and insecurity rational? Being an irrational fear doesn't make it any less real for the person feeling it.

Because it's not you sitting on the sidelines while your comrades are out there risking their lives. And just because Ratchet says he's recovering, we don't know how much he's going to recover or what other lasting effects his injuries will have on him.

Ratchet is the medic and science officer. That is what he does and how he contributes. Bulkhead can't do what Ratchet does.

Operating the Ground Bridge. Oh, yeah. That's a really big step up from doing what he was before, which was actually being out in the field and actually fighting the 'Con's. I mean, it's not like it's something just anyone can do, right?

/sarcasm off.

Oh, wait... yeah. It's fairly rudimentary. Anyone can operate the Ground Bridge, but seeing as Bulk has a tendency to break things, you think Ratchet would trust him with such vital equipment? Not gonna happen.

On an intellectual level, yes, he does realize that having a new 'Bot is a good thing. The fact is, having the green rookie Smokescreen around just reminds him he's much older than he was when he became a warrior and can't do the things he used to and may never get back to what he was before. Whether you think it's justified or not is irrelevant. It's not about being 'justified'. It's about recognizing your own limitations and being unable to adjust to the sudden changes in your life. Especially if you were to be injured to the extent Bulkhead was.

And the truth is, we really don't know how much Bulkhead has healed in that one shot we see of him. Yeah, he jumped out of the way, but whet indication is there that he's really back at 100%? There isn't any. In fact, most of the clip showed the other 'Bot's, but not Bulkhead. Which I can only take to mean that he's not at 100%. Most likely he dragged himself out onto the field to prove he was still of use as a warrior. Given how stubborn he is, I wouldn't be surprised.

Let's wait until the next episode and we'll see who has the more accurate assumption.

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Both Ratchet and Arcee said he's recovering fine. That's pretty far from never being functional again and being disabled for life.

What?

There can't be that bad lasting effects if his movement keeps on increasing and it's implied that he can transform from his suggestion to Ratchet. In fact, it only seems like his leg is the only thing that's still limited, based on Miko's line at the end of the episode, and Ratchet would say something if it would just stop recovering. I don't see the big deal.

You said one thing. Helping operating the ground bridge so another team mate can go help is one thing.

I feel sorry for Bulkhead in other ways if he can't operate a simple lever without breaking it.

Uh huh. So he's acting this way for being "unable to adjust sudden changes in his life" after being in a war for so long? He's never experienced being injured before? Really? This is exactly what makes this so unbelievable. They say he's a war veteran who's been through shit but he's coming off as an inexperienced child when he's making stupid random accusations (at something helping the cause) after one injury.

Whether I think it's justified or not is relevant if I actually want to like what's going on in this show.

4. dunerunner123

dunerunner123 Optipottamus prime

I like it too, there is definitely something going on inside him, and I for one would like to see just what it it. while it was somewhat disappointing that he wasn't killed off, and very disappointing when he got better so soon, I'm glad that he thinks he's being replaced, and that he has become a little more negative so to speak

5. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:

That's what friends and doctors like to say in front of patients. But just saying the person is recovering doesn't mean that person is regaining full functionality.

I've seen this even in real life.

6. ChromeBlade

Everyone has fears, rational or not. That doesn't make those feelings any less real to the person experiencing them.

There can't be that bad lasting effects if his movement keeps on increasing and it's implied that he can transform from his suggestion to Ratchet. In fact, it only seems like his leg is the only thing that's still limited, based on Miko's line at the end of the episode, and Ratchet would say something if it would just stop recovering. I don't see the big deal.

Ratchet himself said that Bulkhead may not full recover from his injuries. So Bulkhead will very likely still be recovering when we see him next.

You really think that's going to be enough for a warrior like Bulkhead? What is he supposed to do the rest of the time?

Bulkhead has no doubt been injured, but clearly it's never been to this extent. I doubt he's ever been in such a state of perceived helplessness before and has had to rely so much on others. It's different when you're on the battle field; watching everyone's back and relying on others to watch his is one thing. But needing help with something that should be as simple as walking or even standing? Entirely another.

You are basically trying to downplay what happened to him as 'no big deal'. I doubt you would tell a soldier who's lost his leg in a mortar explosion it was 'no big deal'. You pretty much have demonstrated that you really don't know what you're talking about in regards to such a matter.

My advise? Go to a veterans hospital and talk to some of the patients there. Patients who have actually been in war and can tell you exactly what happens when someone has been injured to the extent Bulk has.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    So does this make Cliffjumper Bubba....and who would be Forrest Gump?

8. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Arcee?

9. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    No, more likely Bee.

B. Forrest.

10. Stilez

Stilez Well-Known Member

I say just kill him off, i mean the wreckers thing pisses me off, its like every other episode he braggs about how him amd wheel jack took so many cons on with just a grenade....

11. Stilez

Stilez Well-Known Member

And That My Friend Leads Onto Another Question, How Do You Compair A Human Injury To A Robot Injury?

12. Una

Una Well-Known Member

Still wanted Bulkhead to die because of his so many close calls, but I have to admit this new direction is fascinating...at least the biological part. I wish they would do focus more on his biological to show us other parts in Cybertonians.

It's interesting, but Prime seems to be going for emotional. At least, go for both, Prime. XDD

13. LotusoftheLeaf

LotusoftheLeaf Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying what they're doing with Bulkhead. I kind of hope he eventually gets better, but at the same time I think I'd like it even more if he learned to accept his newfound limitations and become a better person for them. Maybe he can learn how to do something more than just wreck and find he can still be of use to the team.

I think being "replaced" is either going to make Bulk do something dumb to prove he's still useful and ends up in even worse condition, or it will bum him out to the point where he gives up and lies around the base just waiting for his spark to fade. I think the latter might be a little too dark for a kids' show, and the preview for the next episode seems to point more to the former.

14. Bountyan

News Credits:
    They also said he's recovering fine, so that combined with some of the other dialogue in these episodes kind of implies he'll be back to full strength soon. "He may never be fully functional again" was back when he was still out. But yes I agree he still may be recovering next episode. But it'll probably be better since he can react and jump fast.

It's not enough for him, but it's still something. He can sit down and recover so he can get back on his feet faster during the rest of his time.

Bulkhead was pretty helpless in Rock Bottom. He couldn't move and could barely protect Miko with the giant boulder about to crush them both. It was sheer luck that Jack came in time to get Miko out when he himself couldn't. And the entire time, he kept his cool. He didn't go "Jack, you're replacing me!? Protecting Miko's my job!" All he cared about was that Miko was safe. Come around now he's recovering from an injury with a new guy coming to help and his team mates safe and he's complaining about being replaced. I don't get it. And I still find it hard to believe that he's never been injured to the point where he had to rely on someone else temporarily in this who knows how long war.

...but Bulkhead didn't lose his leg. He still has it. And he can still move it. And it's recovering. And even if he did lose it completely he could get it replaced like Starscream did when he lost his limb. And when Bumblebee lost one of his irreplaceable organs they could magically make a new one with the forge. These bots being damaged don't even come close to the consequences of humans being damaged.

Ok, I'll be sure to ask them if they complained when more forces came to help after they got injured so their side could actually win the war.

15. Arashistorm

Arashistorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You bring up a good point in comparing Bulkhead in those two situations, but I see now and then's reactions being different is justified. In Rock Bottom, Bulkhead was in a situation where he knew he was only prolonging the inevitable. He was doing all he could to protect Miko but knew that time would run out eventually, so when Jack came to save her, Bulkhead had achieved his mission, he got her out alive and that was all that mattered. Add that in with the fact that Bulkhead had already known Jack for a few months at that point and it's understanable IMO.

Now though, Bulkhead is in a situation where he CAN do more, but his own physical limitations are holding him back. He feels he should be doing his part, as he always has but he can't because of his own physical condition. Perhaps he feels that he should be stronger than what he is now so that he wouldn't have gotten hurt in the first place.

Add that with Smokescreen showing up. A new, fancy bot who can move fast and has knowledge on the relics and is eager to get into the foreground of battle. He doesn't know Smokescreen and from his point of view, he's been out of action and recovering and now Team Prime has someone else to fill his shoes in the meanwhile..him feeling obsolete and jealous here makes sense to me.

Just my 2cents. The previous injury thing though--yeah I can't believe that he hasn't been hurt this badly before either...but maybe as a Wrecker at the time, they dealt with injury differently?

16. ChromeBlade

You can't. That doesn't make them any less devastating.

You are hung up on that one thing like it makes any difference. Because it doesn't.

How about you show them all the episodes that pertained to Bulkhead's situation, leading up to 'New Recruit', because to show is better than tell. I doubt their reactions will be be what you want them to be or expect. because if you were to ask it like that, you would be leaving out some very crucial info

We're talking about a warrior's pride. And that is NOT something you can replace or substitute with such mundane tasks as operating the Ground Bridge. Ask them how they felt when they got injured and couldn't do their job anymore. Ask them how it made them feel to see others moving in to take their place. Ask them if they didn't feel-for any length of time-totally useless and fearful of their future.

Because that is exactly what Bulkhead is saying; he is afraid for his future and that he won't be able to help his team anymore. I also suspect he's angry at himself for getting hurt to such an extent. Clearly, he doesn't regret what he did that lead to his condition, but to suggest that he should feel nothing but gratitude when Smokescreen arrives and joins up is to completely ignore who he is as a person and completely unrealistic. He is stubborn and proud. It's part of his character. Before now, there was no job too big or too small for him. And now he's stuck on the sidelines while everyone else is actually contributing in some way. Right now, he's not contributing anything. And that's clearly gotten to him.

No one has anyplace to tell people how they 'should feel' about any given situation. In your view, Bulkhead 'should be grateful' for the extra help and while on some level he no question is, that doesn't means he ignores his own situation and isn't going to feel the way he does. Humans are the same way; just because we may be grateful for whatever help we may receive for whatever reason doesn't mean we don't feel badly at being unable to do it for ourselves.

You're basically saying that Bulkhead's feelings are 'wrong'. They're not; they are normal. Humans feel them on a regular basis. Cybertronians, as is shown, share many similarities with humans and this is clearly in another way the two species are the same; the helplessness and fear of no longer being of any use to those we are supposed to help and protect.

How, in any way, are those feelings wrong?

17. Bountyan

News Credits:
    How many times do I need to say that I agree that Bulkhead feeling useless were understandable and made sense? I'm hung up on that one thing because that's the only thing I'm complaining about. There is no crucial info being left out, because that's the only thing I'm thought was silly and was unrealistic. Never before have I seen a soldier complain when help to win an important war is given. Even when they called Wheeljack to get more help to cover for himself he was complaining. Does he want his team to have a disadvantage?

18. ChromeBlade

And if you remember, he later said that he could live with Wheeljack being around because they're old buddies.

It IS realistic Sure, it's irrational and can be stupid, but I've seen it happen. Many times, in fact.

19. LotusoftheLeaf

LotusoftheLeaf Well-Known Member

ChromeBlade, as much as I enjoy reading your in-depth posts and agree with your stance, I think you may be wasting your time here. Bountyan seems to be set in his way of thinking and I don't think anything you say will change it.

Not saying you're wrong just because I don't agree with you, Bountyan, since you're only stating your own opinion.

20. ChromeBlade

:sigh: Right... I'll keep that in mind...