The new Conan 2011 movie

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by FCatCH76, Feb 28, 2011.

1. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

Now, I'm not the type to rant or complain but... for the older generation in here that saw the two Arnold Conan movies, how do you feel about the new "conan"?

I am all for updated movies and remakes, but I truly believe this one should have been left alone. This movie, in my eyes, will be senseless. I know the younger generation is going to like it, but a Conan movie without Arnold, one of those people I would love to meet, it a fail for me.

On that note, bring on a new Red Sonja.

2. DavidLoPan

DavidLoPan Well-Known Member

I've seen many stills from the new Conan and it looks like complete ass. And I grew up on those type of movies. Sword and the Sorcerer, Hawk the Slayer...etc. Hell I even love Deathstalker 2. This is gonna be garbage.

3. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    wrong forum ;) 

4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Y'know, a link to any current Conan stuff would be better than just a rant.

Just Sayin'.

Edit
    So I did some googling, and really, I can't see what there is not to like about it. Just because Arnie isn't in it, doesn't mean it won't be worthy. And why not do a remake? Conan himself is the result of Robert E. Howards short stories, and while the '82 film is one of my favourite films ever, neither of the Arnie films actually do the written word justice IMO.

So far the best interpretation of Howards stories have been the Dark Horse Comics, but should they not have bothered because the Marvel comics are sacred to a generation of people?

I dunno. Until I see it I reserve judgment.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Crom cares not for the films of men.

6. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

In truth Jason Momoa's Conan is more closer to Howard's Conan than Arnold's Conan is ever going to be. The only thing that I don't like about the new Conan is that stupid sword. Come someone explain to me why Holywood producers think that Conan needs to wield an ass looking sword in every screen iteration? What is wrong with swords Conan used in the old Marvel comics?

7. FCatCH76

FCatCH76 Autobot

I figured I was late to the game already so a link was unnecessary...sorry. I caught the info from the headline post about the Empire cover.

My complaint is solely based on Arnold not being there. Have always been a huge fan and just thought, for once, I would voice my opinion.

8. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    No biggie. I did some googling anyway.

While it would be nice to have Arnie in some capacity, I actually would have preferred them to do that King Conan project that never got off the ground, just to close off the original films.

Then the remake could do whatever it wanted to, without having to be always compared to the previous series.

TBH, I didn't even know the Conan 2011 film was so far along.

9. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Wonder why we haven't gotten a trailer for it yet.

10. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I'm only just finding out about this now.

If it's closer to the books, then that can only be a good thing.

11. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I'm pretty psyched for it.

12. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm really looking forward to this new Conan movie. Can't believe their hasn't been much news. I think it'll be rated R, as I saw some screen shots on set, of Conan in a tavern, with topless bar wenches. :lol 

I like the Arnie Conan films, but they definitely are far from the source material. If you know Conan didn't originate from those two movies, I don't see how anyone would not want a new Conan movie that is a new take. Especially if its truer to Robert E. Howards' stories. I've been reading the Dark Horse comics, and recently began reading some novels. So theres a lot they can do to make a totally new and truer movie. But from the synopsis of the plot, it sounds like Conan's path starts off similar to how the original film's did. :\

One complaint I've read on some boards, about Jason Momoa not being bulk enough to fit the look. If this is an origin story, were hes still young, then it makes sense for him not to be huge yet. There aren't any barbarian gyms Conan can goto and bulk up in a week, nor any magical roids he might have access to. :lol  Plus, since Conan starts off as a thief, early in his career, it helps him to be a bit less bulkier, in my opinion.

I read the first trailer is due out in April.

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I've always felt that the swords in the original Conan the Barbarian movie were incredibly beautiful and I find the forging scene in the beginning of the film to be one of the most stunning sequences I've ever seen.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Razorclaw

While the sword of Conan's father is a beatiful piece, Atlantean sword is looking a bit ass, and I'm not even gonna talk about the one from the series. Looks aside, none of these swords are actually usable. Atlantean sword is about 8lbs in weight. 8 frickin' pounds!! Only ceremonial flamberges are that heavy. You would have greater success in bludgeoning someone with it, than actually cutting the said person into pieces.

15. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Conan is one of the first series of novels that I ever read.
    I love both of the Arnie movies, but they are pretty far removed from the source material.

Instead of being a wild, willful, strong personality Conan just got huge pushing a wheel?
    Why did anyone think that was a good idea?

I had heard of this movie a while back and then forgot about it.
    It could be cool.
    It has Ron Perlman in it.

17. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Well, Conan isn't about how big he is.

Muscled sure, but the books depict him as a wild man, somebody bred in the wilds with a quickness and savagery that civilised man has discarded in order to become 'civilised'.

As much as I love the first Conan film, Arnie was too big to show a panther like man. Massively huge and intimidating, but not 100% Conan. Also, book Conan wouldn't have allowed himself to be captured alive, even as a child.

18. Razorclaw

This!

I don't remember Conan being described by Howard as muscles galore like Arnie. That's also another reason I kinda dig Momoa as Conan.

19. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Well it is a (low) fantasy movie and Arnie is a strong man, so I can see him swing an 8 pound sword about, but he'd be pretty puffed after about fifteen minutes.

I suppose I was fortunate in that I'd never had the opportunity to read any of Robert E. Howard's books on the character. However I do recall that most people agree that Conan was rather large and strong, and his advantage was he could wear the heavier armor or something along those lines.

I'd like to think though that we can all agree that the Music from the original Conan, was totally awesome.

YouTube - Conan The Barbarian - Theme

Sadly I can't find a version that shows the sword being forged, I swear I could watch that scene over and over.

On that note, who would your preference be for the score of the new Conan movie. Me, I'd want someone like James Horner.

20. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    The Atlanthean Sword rocks.
    I love Anvil of Crom by Basil Posildouris :) 

Funny to see Jason Momoa as Conan. Looks interesting though.