The New 2005 Boards - Introduction and F.A.Q.

Discussion in 'TFW2005 Tech Support' started by Tony_Bacala, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Hey Everyone,

We've collected some of the most asked questions since the releaunch of the 2005 Boards and answered them for you in one spot. Use the below F.A.Q. to familiarize yourself with some of the boards new methods and features. Click the question in top part of the page, and use the "TOP" link at the end of each answer to return and continue.

What are Trophy Points?
    What are likes, how do I use them?
    Are there negative ratings?

What's up with Private Messages? WTF are Conversations?
    What are Conversation Limits? How do I stay under the limits?
    I just came back to the boards since the upgrade, and my inbox is almost full!
    How do I delete Conversations (aka old PMs)?

Where is the User Control Panel (UserCP)?
    Where is the Quick Jump at the end of pages?
    Is there a "Scroll to Top" link anywhere?
    Are the boards now Mobile Friendly?
    I'm on my phone and I can't see signatures or avatars!
    How does the multi quote / quick reply work now?

Can I log in or sign up with my Facebook / Twitter / Google accounts?
    What happens if I shut down or lose my Facebook, Twitter or Google account, how do I log in here?
    What if I signed up with Facebook, but then want to associate my TFW2005 account with Google?
    What if I already have a TFW2005 account, can I still associate my Facebook, Twitter, Google accounts and use them to log in without a password?

I think the forums are too bright, can I change it?
    I think the forums are too wide, can I change it?

Where is the search box?
    How can I search within a thread?
    How can I search within a forum?
    How can I search for a member?
    How do I get to "Advanced Search"?
    Where is the search bar on mobile screens?
    Are there any new search options?
    Why do threads come back like X during search?

How can I adjust what alerts I get?
    How can I adjust what emails I get?
    Can I turn off avatars?
    Can I turn off signatures?
    I don't want to watch every thread I reply to, or get emails about them. Can I change that?

How do I tell if I posted in a thread from the thread list?
    Why do the page numbers not show unless I hover over them?
    Where did the last page button go?
    How do I get to the first page of a thread after I've already read some of it?
    How do I get to the last post in a thread?
    How do I get to the first unread post in a thread?
    Did the Spoiler Tag change?
    How can I use Spoiler Tags?

I started a post, stopped, and now it's showing it as a draft every time I return to a thread. How do I get rid of that?
    Can we see what posts we liked?
    Can we see what posts of ours were liked by others?
    How do I edit my user title that shows under my avatar?
    How do I edit my avatar?
    My avatar looks weird, how do i fix it?
    How do I watch a thread?
    Can I upload photos in bulk now?
    Can I tag people in posts so they see it?

Why are forums and threads constantly marked like I didn't read them even after I've been in, and left, a forum?
    Threads stay marked unread (bold) even after I've left a forum and come back, why?
    Where did the collection count, location, about me, homepage info go?
    Where did the recent posts blocks that were on the sidebar go?
    Why are pictures so big inside threads?
    How can I see the full size image if it's been embedded?
    Can I collapse sub-sections on the forum home page?

Where are the social groups?
    Where are the User Albums?
    I used to have it set to show the latest post first (reverse order), can I do that now?
    Why are the posts on the front page stories "backwards"?
    Where can I become a Supporter?
    Can i see who is online in a particular forum?
    How do I sort by Thread Creation Date?
    How can I bookmark things like that?
    What BBCode can I use?

Where is the search box on the main page?
    Is there a "No Movie News" option on front page?
    What happened to the X gallery system?

Where did the posts from Tues Sept 6 - Thurs Sept 8 go?

The upgrade took over 4 days to complete, running 24 hours a day. We knew this would be the case and decided it was better to leave the boards open with a notice that anything posted after 12:30 AM Eastern would not be carried over. So anything done on the old boards during that time is gone. Top
    Why is my avatar is bigger / smaller?

The new system uses avatars heavily in it's display. They do not by default allow an option to display avatars in different sizes. The current default in threads is 96 x 96 pixels for all members. We suggest you upload one that is at least 200 x 200 so it looks right in all areas of the site. If you upload one that isn't square, you can crop it after you upload it. Top
    What are Trophies?

Trophies are awarded for completing certain tasks on the site. Getting a certain number of posts, likes, being registered for a certain amount of time, etc. They are like video game achievements. Secondary, but there.

You can see all the trophies available here: Trophies | TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

You can see your own trophies by clicking the link on your profile page:

trophies.JPG
    What are Trophy Points?

Each trophy has a point value attached to them. So if you unlock that trophy, you get X points for doing so. A running total of all the points you accumulate from Trophies is available under your name in posts, and on your profile page.

You can see your own trophies and the point totals at the bottom, by clicking the link on your profile page:

trophies.JPG

You can see a leaderboard of those with the most Trophy Points here: Notable Members | TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards Top
    What are likes, how do I use them?

Likes are a modern way to give feedback to someone about their post without actually having to respond with a full reply. Under each post, and in several other places on the site, you will see a Thumbs Up icon at the bottom. It's small, but there.

like button.JPG

You can see all the likes you've given here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/account/ratings-given

You can see all the likes you've received here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/account/ratings-received
    Are there negative ratings?

No. Positive only. Staff use this to issue News Credits as well for those that find and share news on TFW2005 first. Top
    What's up with Private Messages? WTF are Conversations?

This is probably the biggest change from the old site to the new one. Before, we had Private Messages. They worked like email, with each person quoting, and each message showing up as it's own entry in your inbox, sent items folder, etc.

The new system uses what's called "Conversations". If you start a Conversation with me, your message will show like the first post of a thread. If I reply, it will show under it like the second post in a thread. Only us 2 can see it though. As the conversation progresses, it will lay out like a thread on the boards.

convo1.JPG convo2.JPG

In the new system, you can also add in additional people to the conversation mid convo. This allows you to have ongoing private chats.

convo3.JPG convo4.JPG

You can choose to leave any conversation if you don't want to speak any more. You can also use these controls to mark convos read, star them (favorite them), stick them, or lock them if you have those permissions.

convo5.JPG convo6.JPG

What are Conversation Limits? How do I stay under the limits?

There are limits to how many conversations, and then how many total messages within conversations, you can keep at one time.

Regular Members:
    500 Total Conversations
    2000 Total Conversation Messages (within those 500 Convos)

Supporters:
    1000 Total Conversations
    2000 Total Conversation Messages (within those 1000 Convos)

In order to keep your limits under control, you must leave "old" conversations. Top
    I just came back to the boards since the upgrade, and my inbox is almost full!

In the migration from the old Private Message System to the new Conversations System - all items in your inbox, plus any sent items, and any stored in custom folders, got dumped into your new Inbox here. If you went back and forth 100 times with USER1, then it will count as 100 Conversations.

In the future, if you started a new Conversation with USER1, and went back and forth 100 times, it would only count as 1 conversation. And be grouped together as described above.

We suggest you "leave conversation" on anything in your inbox from before September 6th, 2016, that you don't need. From here forward, it will work properly.

This kinda sucks, makes it even more confusing at first, but it's a result of migrating from one piece of software to another. It's not always perfect. Top
    How do I delete Conversations (aka old PMs)?

Deleting Conversations is called "Leaving Conversations" now. You can find this option in your Inbox area, or within the Conversation itself.

convo5.JPG convo6.JPG convo7.JPG
    Where is the User Control Panel (UserCP)?

There is no one single User Control Panel anymore, where you see New Threads, Watched Forums, and New PMs all in one spot. You can however get to all of these places easily.

Watched Threads (aka Subscribed Threads):

watched threads.JPG

Watched Forums (aka Subscribed Forums):

watched forums.JPG

New Conversations (aka Private Messages):

new PMs.JPG

As for the other stuff you'd see in your old UserCP - like options to edit your settings etc, you can get to most of that stuff by opening the overlay you get when clicking your name:

name overlay.JPG

Clicking your name again will take you to the full options screen for the site: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/account/ Top
    Where is the Quick Jump at the end of pages?

The quick jump is now available as a pop up overlay, and links to it are available at the top and bottom of all pages:

quick jump.JPG quick jump 2.JPG quick jump 3.JPG

Is there a "Scroll to Top" link anywhere?

Yes, at the bottom of all pages, here:

TOP.JPG

Are the boards now Mobile Friendly?

Yes, when browsing the site on your phone or tablet, the site should function fully for you. It will no longer be stretched, text boxes are designed with you in mind, images will resize, certain data will be hidden so it's tidy, and so on. Try it out! Top
    I'm on my phone and I can't see signatures or avatars!

While on smaller screens like phones and some tablets, certain elements of the site are hidden so that overall browsing is easier. Signatures, social icons, staff badges, user info and some menus will reduce or disappear while on mobile. Top
    How does the multi quote / quick reply work now?

The various forms of quoting someone has changed a bit.

MULTIQUOTE:

When you click MULTIQUOTE in any given post, it adds that post to a collection. If you click MULTIQUOTE again on other posts, it adds them to the same collection. These are now saved for use in your reply.

multi 1.JPG

When you are ready to write your reply, go down to the Quick Reply area at the bottom of the page and hit INSERT QUOTES

multi 2.JPG

Doing this brings a pop up, where you can choose from your selected MULTIQUOTE items. You can insert them one by one, reorder them, choose to ignore some, etc. Hit QUOTE THESE MESSAGES when done.

multi 3.JPG

Once done, you'll see them in your quick reply box, where you can add your own text, click More Options for advanced mode, and more.

multi 4.JPG

QUICK REPLY:

Hitting QUICK REPLY on any post will shoot you down the page to the Quick Reply box, with that post's text quoted for you.

If you choose, you can go advanced from there by hitting MORE OPTIONS.

quick 1.JPG quick 2.JPG

INLINE QUOTING:

You can select any block of text within a post and when done, a hover overlay will pop up and give you the option to MULTIQUOTE or QUICK REPLY with just that highlighted text. Useful if you don't want to quote a long message.

quote inline.JPG
    Can I log in or sign up with my Facebook / Twitter / Google accounts?

Yes you can. If you are not yet a member, you can choose to sign up with your existing Facebook, Twitter, or Google account. Once you approve the connection, it will automatically fill in details from those accounts here, and ask you to fill in a couple more.

social 1.JPG social 2.JPG social 3.JPG

After that, you can choose to "Log In with X", and no password will be required. So long as you are logged in over there, you'll be logged in here. Once click of the Facebook / Twitter / Google button, and you're logged in here automatically.

We will automatically associate your profile picture, home page, and other details with your account. You can edit these after the account is created. Top
    What happens if I shut down or lose my Facebook, Twitter or Google account, how do I log in here?

If you can't log in with your social account any more for whatever reason, and you signed up using that, Enter your name and click "Forgot Password". The 2005 Boards will send you a normal password reset link, and you can enter a new one then. From then on, you would log in directly to TFW2005 with your username and password.

social 4.JPG

You should then disconnect your social account in your "External Account" settings, which is here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/account/external-accounts

social 5.JPG

What if I signed up with Facebook, but then want to associate my TFW2005 account with Google?

To associate more than one external account, you will need to enter a TFW2005 password. If you signed up with Facebook, and use Facebook to log in, you don't yet have a TFW2005 password. To fix this, go to your account Password page: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/account/security

It will tell you that you don't currently have a password, and give you a link to send one. Click it, send it.

Check your email, copy your new password.

Go back to the External Accounts page http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/account/external-accounts , and complete your second "Associate With ..." account.

This goes for any combo of the three.

What if I already have a TFW2005 account, can I still associate my Facebook, Twitter, Google accounts and use them to log in without a password?

Yes. You can connect your social account in your "External Account" settings, which is here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/account/external-accounts

Click Associate With (whichever one you want) and follow the prompts. After it's complete, you can click the "Log In with Facebook / Twitter / Google" button instead of entering a password.

To disconnect it for any reason, see the instructions in the previous question.

I think the forums are too bright, can I change it?

Yes, we have alternate color schemes available. You can access all of them at the bottom of any page, left hand side, or here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/account/preferences . There are two styles with darker gray tones right now. Top
    I think the forums are too wide, can I change it?

Yes, we have 2 fixed width styles available. You can access all of them at the bottom of any page, left hand side, or here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/account/preferences . There are two styles where the maximum width will be 1280 pixels wide right now. Top
    Where is the search box?

The search box on the forums is in the top right, under your Name and Inbox area:

search 1.JPG

This is used to search everywhere. Different areas of the site will give you different options for searching depending on what page you are on. Or, you can always just do a "regular search" from there too. Top
    How can I search within a thread?

To search within a thread, use the same forum-wide search box. Just check off different options:

search 2.JPG Top
    How can I search within a forum?

To search within a forum, use the same forum-wide search box. Just check off different options:

search 3.JPG Top
    How can I search for a member?

Yes, use the member search box on the Member page: Notable Members | TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

search 4.JPG
    How do I get to "Advanced Search"?

Click "More" from the search drop down.

search 5.jpg

It will bring you to this page, which has many of the old Advanced Search features, and more.

search 6.JPG Top
    Where is the search bar on mobile screens?

On mobile, smaller screens, the search box shrinks to a small magnifying glass. Click that, and all search capabilities described above will be available to you.

search 7.JPG

Are there any new search options?

Searching "Everything" will give you results from Profile Posts, Attachments, and conversations that you are in, along with normal posts. The second tab there allows you to search only threads and posts, which is how it was on the old forums.

In forum wide search drop down, you can choose to limit your search to titles only, or to a member only, or both. You can also limit it to threads "Newer Than ..." a date. You can also choose to return results as threads.

All of these options used to only be available in the advanced search area on the old forum.

We also are using an enhanced search capability that should return results fast, and more accurate, than before.
    Why do threads come back like X during search?

When you search and results come back, they are by default linking you to specific posts. So the link you click will shoot you to a post within a thread.

If you want to jump to page one of threads you get back, you should choose "Display Results as Threads" before you search. That will allow you to jump to page 1.

Returning results so they look like a normal thread listing, with title, page numbers, last post, etc - is not possible at the moment.
    How can I adjust what alerts I get?

You can tell the system what alerts (the little red icons you see when on the site) you want to see here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/account/alert-preferences Top
    How can I adjust what emails I get?

Yes, you can decide if you want to allow the admins to email you directly here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/account/privacy

You can update which watched threads send you email alerts here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/watched/threads/all

You can update which watched forums will generate email alerts here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/watched/forums
    Can I turn off avatars?

No, there is no ability to turn off avatars anymore. They are built into the system and used for multiple things, so it's not an option without heavy modification. We do not plan to do that. Top
    Can I turn off signatures?

Yes, you can. You can do that here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/account/preferences
    I don't want to watch every thread I reply to, or get emails about them. Can I change that?

You can edit which threads you get emails for here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/watched/threads/all

You can edit what the default option is when you watch a thread here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/account/preferences

You can choose to receive email, or not, at the time you watch a thread as well.
    How do I tell if I posted in a thread from the thread list?

In the old system, a little envelope with a black dot showed in the margins of thread lists. The black dot indicated that you had posted in a thread already.

In the new system, this is achieved with your avatar. By default, each thread shows the avatar of the person that started it. If you've posted in it, your avatar will show up smaller and to the right, overlaying the bigger thread starter avatar. This is your mini-me avatar. See below:

posted in thread.JPG Top
    Why do the page numbers not show unless I hover over them?

This is done to reduce clutter when looking at an overview of the page. As you hover over them with your mouse, they will become available.
    Where did the last page button go?

There is no longer a last page button. Please use the last listed number in the page navigation area. That is the last page.
    How do I get to the first page of a thread after I've already read some of it?

You can click the time stamp under any thread, and it will always take you to the first page.

first message 1.jpg

If you haven't yet read a thread, clicking the title will take you to the first page. After that, it will take you to the first unread. The system keeps track of what you've read and not more accurately than before. It will keep a log of this for 30 days, after that everything will be marked read for you until you come back. Top
    How do I get to the last post in a thread?

You can click the time stamp in the last column of the thread list, it will always take you the last post in a thread:

last post.JPG Top
    How do I get to the first unread post in a thread?

Clicking the title of a thread you've already been in will automatically take you to the first unread post now.

If you've never read a thread, that will take you to the first post on page 1, since that's the first unread for you.

You can also click the little blue dot next to a thread title to go to the first unread.

unread dot.JPG

Did the Spoiler Tag change?

Yes, this is now a button that you can click to open/close. It uses the same code as before. Top
    How can I use Spoiler Tags?

You can get to it in the editor here:

spoiler.JPG

Or, use the code directly:

Code:
    [spoiler]whatever text you want[/spoiler]
    whatever text you want
    I started a post, stopped, and now it's showing it as a draft every time I return to a thread. How do I get rid of that?

To get rid of a draft that's saved for a post, you can click the "Draft" icon in the editor toolbar, and choose to delete it:

drafts.JPG

Please note, this draft icon is only available via the quick reply box.
    Can we see what posts we liked?

Yes you can, you can see that here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/account/ratings-given Top
    Can we see what posts of ours were liked by others?

Yes you can, you can see that here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/account/ratings-received
    How do I edit my user title that shows under my avatar?

How do I edit my avatar?

My avatar looks weird, how do i fix it?

Some of the smaller and animated avatars didn't transfer exactly right to the new system. We suggest re-uploading your avatar here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/account/avatar Top
    How do I watch a thread?

You can click "Watch Thread" at the top of any thread, and choose how you want to be alerted. With emails or not.

watch 1.JPG watch 2.JPG
    Can I upload photos in bulk now?

Yes, you can drag and drop multiple images into the text area and images will upload in bulk:

upload bulk.jpg

You can also insert them as thumbnails or full attachments, one by one or all at once, directly into the reply:

every image.JPG Top
    Can I tag people in posts so they see it?

Yes, you can tag anyone on the boards by typing out their usernames. Just put an at symbol in front of their name. Example: @Tony_Bacala

tag people.jpg

Starting to type a name after you type the @ icon will pull up a list of people on the site. Keep typing till you see their name, and select it.

This will send them an alert notification, and can more easily jump into a thread they are mentioned in.

Clicking the name will open their info overaly, and give links to their profile etc.
    Why are forums and threads constantly marked like I didn't read them even after I've been in, and left, a forum?

Forums will stay marked as unread until you've read all the posts within them. If you haven't (and most never will), you should use the "Mark Forums Read" link.

mark read.JPG

If you are on the home page, that will mark all read. If you are within a specific forum, you can choose to only mark that one sub-forum read. Top
    Threads stay marked unread (bold) even after I've left a forum and come back, why?

Threads stay marked as unread until you actually read them now, regardless of time. You should use the Mark Forums Read tool to clear out what's new/not every so often.

mark read.JPG Top
    Where did the collection count, location, about me, homepage info go?

That information was deleted with the move to the new system. You can re-enter some of it, like location and homepage, here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/account/personal-details Top
    Where did the recent posts blocks that were on the sidebar go?

Due to feedback we've decided to remove all sidebars from the forum. On top of that, there is no 1 to 1 functionality built into this system which does that currently. So, due to those 2 things, it is no longer available. Top
    Why are pictures so big inside threads?

Images now show as wide as possible, without stretching the page off your screen. Top
    How can I see the full size image if it's been embedded?

If the picture is bigger than the allowed space, you can click it to show it full size. Click it again to return it to the resized dimensions. Top
    Can I collapse sub-sections on the forum home page?

No, this is no longer an option. Top
    Where are the social groups?

Social groups have been retired on the new site. All data from the social group area of the old site is no longer available. It was under-used and there was no default equivalent in the new system. Top
    Where are the User Albums?

User Albums have been retired on the new site. All images in the old site's user albums are no longer available. It was under-used and there was no default equivalent in the new system. Top
    I used to have it set to show the latest post first (reverse order), can I do that now?

No, the new system does not allow for "reverse" sorting on a per user basis. Top
    Why are the posts on the front page stories "backwards"?

The front page news stories connect to the forum to show posts as comments. Most blogs utilize a "latest first" method for comments. We've chosen to go with that for our front page as well. Top
    Where can I become a Supporter?

If you would like to support the site and gain some additional perks for doing so, you can click here to do it: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/account/upgrades

Details on supporter perks are here: TFW2005 Supporter Subs Live

Please note - we need to adjust what supporter perks are in this new system. Some of the perks aren't possible in the new system or are diminished in extra value due to the way this all works. We will work on getting cool additional things to you for being a supporter in the coming months. Your support helped this upgrade happen! Top
    Can i see who is online in a particular forum?

No, that feature is no longer available. Top
    How do I sort by Thread Creation Date?

If you would like to sort thread listings differently, you can do so at the bottom of any thread list:

thread display.JPG thread display 2.jpg Top
    How can I bookmark things like that?

If you'd like to bookmark a thread listing in alphabetical order, do the following -

Use the options above to sort alphabetically (or whatever option you like)
    Go to page 2
    Go back to page 1 using the page navigation
    The url in your browser should now show page 1 of that forum, with extra commands to sort in the way you chose. Bookmark that.

Example - Radicons, sorted by thread creation date: Radicons Customs
    What BBCode can I use?

See a list here: BB Codes | TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

Or by clicking HELP on the bottom of any page. Top
    Where is the search box on the main page?

The search on the main page of the site was removed during the relaunch, but will return. This only searches news. To search on the forum, use the search box seen on any page near the top. Top
    Is there a "No Movie News" option on front page?

No, that feature isn't available in the front page system we currently use (went live in 2015). We need to write something from scratch to get that to work, and haven't had time. No ETA if/when that will happen.
    What happened to the X gallery system?

We had several areas in our old gallery system. Toys, Customs, Fan Art, Tech Specs, Screencaps, Wallpapers and Other. Toys have been moved to Transformers Toys - Reflector @ TFW2005. We plan on bringing over Screen Caps and Wallpapers eventually as well. The rest have been retired. All Tech Specs are in our Resources section tho. Top

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  2. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Feel free to continue sounding off, asking questions and more in the ongoing Re-Launch discussion thread here: TFW2005 Relaunched