The Name "Transformers The Movie"

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Darth Fitch, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Darth Fitch

Darth Fitch Herald of Golobulus

Does anyone worry that calling it "Transfomers" will make people NOT take this movie seriously? "Oh, that's just kiddie toys, I'll pass" kind of mentality.

If so, would another name be better... like "Heavy Metal War". What are some (serious) alternate names they could use...?

2. UltraPrime

UltraPrime Lord of Macragge

I assume you mean as a sub title. Can't see it not having Transformers in it!

3. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    I don't know. I guess some people could react like that.
    Honestly I can't think in a sub-title.

4. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    like i mentioned in another thread, did people laugh when a spiderman movie came out? batman? superman?

all of which the mainstream for the most part consider "childs" franchises

why would TF be different?

right now, the market has been hot for "comic book" movies or movies that start off as what the mainstream considers something only kids or fat 40 year old geeks read. I think people will treat it like any of those other movies and will generally be acceptful of it as long as the teasers do well to identify it as a good modern action packed popcorn flick

besides, if you cant call it Transformers then whats the point of making the movie

5. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

^^^
    Quoted for truth

Josh ol' boy I think you earned yourself a beer at BotCon on me.And if you won't be there I'll drink the beer on your behalf :D 

6. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Heavy Metal War would've been an awesome name(as in name, not sub-name), but no way in hell was Hasbro going to allow that.

Assuming for a moment they would allow it, what about Their War, a Transformers film.

7. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:

:p 

well be sure to drink up :p 

:drunk 

8. Darth Fitch

No, I didn't mean it as a subtitle. I agree with your comments about the comic characters, but they're in a specific genre of "superheros". A genre that does not include the "toy cartoons" of the Eighties.

"What's the point of making the movie (without calling it Transformers)" is a great question.

I don't think it's a stretch by any means that decisions made by Hasbro are not entertainment based. Their decisions have always been profit based (at any cost).

Beast Wars was the finest official Transformers story ever told... that is until Hasbro got their meathooks into it i.e. the third season and ruined it.

So.. if the point is to entertain, then Hasbro shouldn't touch it. If the point is to sell more toys then... we'll get a lot of what we've already seen, over and over and over again.

Hasbro = :horse: 

The point of my thread is most people will probably see "Transformers" and think "kiddie toys" and might get turned off by that.

9. Shaun_C

You mean like how Spiderman was a cartoon of the 80's or how X-Men was a toy cartoon of the 80's/90's or how Batman was a cartoon in the late 70's? It's pretty much all the same thing honestly

Man are fans still villifying Hasbro?I thought those days were over.Hasbro had their "meathooks" as you put it in BW since the start.Hence why Primal was a Gorilla who resembled G1 Prime rather then the bat & why Megs was a T-Rex instead of a gator.And the Beast series did well.Lasting 5 years as I count BM a continuation.And a cartoon lasting 5 years is pretty darn good

:rolleyes2 

You shouldn't presume so much,according to what Alphie and Dark_Convoy said in another thread.Their non TF fan colleagues ACTUALLY enjoyed the teaser.

Don't compare the movie to the cartoons.As the cartoons are written for kids.This movie will be a bit more mature then that.I betting dollars to donuts,this movie will be written like any of the other comic based movies we've gotten over the past few years.Meaning NOT kiddie oriented

10. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Call it "Transformers", or don't bother at all.

11. Darth Fitch

I respectfully disagree. Toy companies have long latched onto superheroes, but the story on all of them came before the toys, unlike TFs, GI Joe, etc. For superheros, mostly, the comics drove the story not the toys. For Transformers, the toys drove everything.

I just speak for me. Based on how the cartoon has been handled and the toys (and endless repaints are spit out) that's how I see it.

True, Hasbro did, but I recall (perhaps incorrectly) the writers of Beast Wars even admitting they had more freedom in the first two seasons, but with its popularity Hasbro took more control of the direction by the third season.

I saw that. I've been wowed or fascinated by lots of trailers for movies I wouldn't go see.

I really hope you're right.

12. Darth Fitch

Another example, is Star Wars. The toys were great, but the movies are what drove the toys. TF's and GI Joe (all Hasbro owned) comics, cartoons and movies were/are ALL driven by the toys first.

13. Shaun_C

Except that after the toyline died the comic still went pretty strong till #80 of the original series.So saying the toyline drove everything is faulty

You're most likely remembering wrong.Because if they had that kind of freedom Optimus Primal would've been a bat and Megatron would've been a gator

The general fandom has been forcasting the worst for this movie for the past year.WITHOUT actual reason.I actually wish they'd quit that.

And you're doing the same thing.Why, I don't know but it'd probably help if you had CONCRETE proof rather then a subjective opinion

14. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    honestly i dont think it much matters whether the TF concept came from toys first or comics, people will still classify the movie or place it in the same league/ballpark as modern comic book movies. it'll still be a movie based on _____________

either way, to answer the point of the thread i dont think calling it "Transformers" will in no way hinder whether people go see it or not.

and like i said, if you cant call it transformers then you might as well not even make the movie.

15. Darth Fitch

The toyline never stopped ... well some say the toys died at Pretenders... :D 
    but the comic stopped right after the introduction of Action Masters. G1 ended shortly after with the introduction of Generation 2.

I'm not forcasting the worst. I'm only speculating on how the name might be perceived by NON fans. Concrete proof for what... my opinion?

As far as my opinion about Hasbro.. that comes from 20 years of experience of watching how they do business.

16. prime is a legend

prime is a legend Hooch is crazy.

I honestly dont think it matters that because its called transformers people will pass on it. In england people love the advert where the car transforms so i cant see anyone seeing the trailer or the poster and thinking this sucks.

then against there are a lot of snobs when it comes to movies, I think the majority people will enjoy it.

17. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Heavy Metal Wars name + film about robots = sounds like some low budget movie from the 80s.

And Hasbro is doing pretty damn good.

Repaints are a necessity of life. Why waste the opportunity to not use a tooling you already poured alot of money into before putting it into storage? Get your money's worth, then they can use the money saved and made to do something else. They work under a budget and have to turn a profit, you know.

Okay cartoons are pretty bad in the past 4 years. Oddly enough that's from Hasbro having LESS of a hand in its day-to-day production. While Hasbro created the initial storyline, concepts and characters, Takara Marketing was responsible for its ultimate direction.

As for toys themselves - what more do you want? We got it great. Everything you want for everyone except reissues which you can get off eBay.

So what's the problem?

18. Shaun_C

It's not how he wants them ;) 

19. Darth Fitch

:lol 

It was just a question, the answer of which could easily be "No". It doesn't hurt to ask. You're right Fit For natalie, they are doing great. (and you and Shaun_C are great btw because you're making me think...)

I guess it really boils down to my wish that the cartoon story was more mature and less kiddie. I also didn't like the move to Cartoon Network because I don't have that channel. Trivial, oh yes. The only other beef I really have is I wish the "style" of the bots was more like the Diaclone days rather than the more recent trend.

I know that's more expensive, but that's when I got into TFs.

Cheers boys!

20. Shaun_C

I used to wonder what Transformers would be like if it had a storyline similar to Gundam Wing.But AEC has it's moments.You should've moved to Canada YTV aired AEC with NO problem;) 

Anyway you're a 35 yr old male who watches G1,can't get much kiddier then that DF :p  :D 

J/K :lol