The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Streck, May 17, 2012.

1. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

My list of favorite series includes such television-advancing phenomena as The Wire, Mad Men, and Babylon 5, genre-gems like I, Claudius and Game of Thrones... and Mystery Science Theater 3000.

I've been replaying random episodes since the mid-90's and if I haven't tired of it yet, then I never will. It's unlike anything else. It presented a new concept in comedy, but it's not something that can evolve. RiffTrax and Cinematic Titanic follow the same formula. It just sort of sits there, in a timeless bubble, being hilarious years after it went off the air.

Though it isn't timeless, not really, and I didn't realize that until I was visiting my parents and playing an MST3K DVD through their entertainment system, which is far more ambitious than mine. MST3K is low-key, low-tech, and somehow honest, and almost out of place when delivered through an A/V setup that's designed around the hyperkinetic rubbish that makes up most mainstream movies and shows (which is a topic for another thread, but god, even on the cooking programs, it seems like food isn't so much cooked as it is launched at your face with no educational pretense). Joel Hodgson spawned it in 1988; if he hadn't, the only place it could be conceived today is on the Internet.

So let us celebrate. Also, I want this to be played at my funeral:

Credits Theme From Mystery Science Theater 3000 - YouTube

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I attend a weekly synctube hosted by a guy from another forum who plays back-to-back episodes of usually random MST3K episodes, it is a glorious three hours in my opinion. I still remember my first two episodes: "Space Mutiny" and "Warrior of the Lost World".

Also, I don't know how many people know this, but MST3K is to the Movie "Manos: The Hands of Fate" as the "Back to the Future" series is to the DeLorean DMC-12: they're the only reasons they survived the 80's. Granted, Manos makes ROTF look like the successor to "Citizen Kane" as the greatest movie of all time, it's THAT bad, but it's gained enough of a cult following somehow thanks to the MST3K episode that it's actually getting a remastered release.

3. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

Two very strong episodes for your first experience, especially Space Mutiny. They were really firing on all cylinders with that one. I need not recite the list of David Ryder's aliases.

God, what's there to even remaster? That seems like remastering Clerks.