The movie toys transformation schemes

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Malikon, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

When the new movie was coming out/first came out I'd bought all the movie toys I could get. With the exception of Jolt and Arcee I've got the Autobot lineup, and I've got most of the Decepticons (minus the leaders class) and I've had them up on my shelves in robot mode since the movie came out. Last night I decided to straighten the shelves up some and put all the movie'verse figures in their alt modes to make room for some more figures. I seriously could not believe how long it took to get some of them back in alt mode! And that's with actually knowing how to TF them. I just keep thinking, "Yup, this is why I like the Universe/Classics/Beast Wars/Animated Toys better."

Sure they look really cool, and have a neat and realistic aesthetic quality to them, but compared to the other toys they're a complete bitch to play with. Sideswipe took nearly 20 minutes to get all his panels lined up and looking right, Skids and Mudflap combined took 45 minutes to get all back together. They both needed panel massaging to get things lined up right, but Mudflap had to be the worst. Now I know it's the first time I TF'd him back into car mode, but jeez!!! That little guy is so tight, with so many pieces wanting to hit each other, and the doors!!! omg the hugging doors!! I started wishing they WOULD pop off like in Paeughs video just so I could get them out of the way! They didn't though, sorry Paeugh, you're still the King of Pop-Off. Ironhide who I was dreading actually I had no problems with at all, which was surprising. But all in all I just keep thinking, "This is why my movie1 toys have been stored until this new movie came out, they're just not much fun." I always have Classics and Animated on display on my shelves, and I'm always TF'ing them back and forth. It's fun, only takes a few minutes, the figures feel really sturdy and solid and I never worry about things breaking. Skids and Mudflap make so much creaking noises when you're 90% done TF'ing them it had me worried.

I really appreciate puzzles and I do like complicated Transformations (like MP Starscream or Alternators) but these movie toys are complicated without that fun feeling that goes along with the others. I'm always worried they're going to break. And talk about a shellformer? Sideswipe can have the entire car assembled and pointing straight off his back. I'm surprised no one's mentioned that yet with all the talk that's been going around about Sideswipe. The whole freaking car, right there on it's back.

Rampage? Ugh!

All in all I find that I'm liking Demolisher, Voyager Megatron, Starscream and Sideways more then any of the other toys. Just because they have more of a Classics feel to them. Especially the Voyagers. Big sturdy joints that don't feel weak or flexible. I never had a problem with the 07 BB mold, I thought it was a really brilliant mold and it's fun to TF that one back and forth. But Skids and Mudflap take the cake for being the first TF's that have really frustrated me with how tight and intricate the transformation is, and with the pieces all wanting to hit. Skids not so much, but Mudflap very much so. I still find myself liking Skids though, I think maybe I'll get the Human Alliance one to mess with however. Even being more complicated it's still got to be easier.

So in a nutshell, I think the movie toys have once again proven to me why I like the Classics/Universe molds so much. They're just fun and never annoying.

What's your opinion?

2. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not crazy about overly complex transformations at all. It doesn't make me hate a toy though as long as both modes look good. However, I will say that Univers runs the gambit in terms of complexity, being simple, like Silverbolt, or crazy, like Galvatron. So, I think the movie toys are a natural progression. However, the movie lines provides so many options in forms like FAB's and Legends for almost the whole cast that you can get one that is easy to transform if you're ok with sacrificing some detail.

3. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

I haven't really had a problem transforming my movie figures. I think it just comes down to practice. If, as you said, you hadn't transformed Mudflap into his vehicle form before, of course you're going to have trouble getting it all to work right. Hell, I spent about a half-hour to an hour getting Mixmaster's cab to fit just right. Once you do it enough though, it makes sense and transformation takes a maybe ten minutes, tops.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I think you're just bad at transforming the things. it's not the fault of the toys. I can transform them both into either mode in less than a minute each.

5. ManiactoaLaco

ManiactoaLaco Well-Known Member

Well, its a problem. I've transformed all movie guys several times, and there alt modes are amazing. (except move 1 Leader Megs and Voyger Screamer, ugh). Its a shame most take a while.

However, for figs like Leader Optimus, I keep movie 1 Prime in alt, so I don't have to transform my Leader Optimus. It gets alot easier after a while.

MTL

6. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    With time these figures become second nature. I will agree with the OP though that the first time doing these things are a bitch.

7. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

Bad at transforming? Hardly, :D . It was my first time getting Mudflap back into car mode. I honestly had them pretty much transformed in under 10 minutes, but spent another 10 minutes massaging all the panels into place. I'd get everything but one panel line up (I'm thinking of Mudflap here) then when I'm getting that panel into place, another pops out, then I get that one into place, and his hood pops up. And the whole time the things creaking like an old rocking chair. Maybe mine just has really tight joints or something, I didn't have as much of a problem with Skids. Sideswipes swords always want to pop out a little bit though. They're either too far into the car, or too far out.

I never have problems TF'ing my toys, Mudflaps the first time I had to sit there for awhile and babysit all the panels into place.

And I'm still surprised that noone talks about how Sideswipes entire alt mode can be connected and hang of his back. He's got an entire car hanging off his back, minus the wheels. That seems like the very definition of Shellformer and I've yet to hear someone mention that.

They're all very cool looking toys, but I just don't find them to be fun to mess with like I do Classics/Beast Wars/Animated toys. It's not that they're complicated, Alternators are complicated and they're fun to mess with. The movie toys always feel like they're more breakable, and then on top of that there's alot more pieces that have to be moved. I can get an entire shelf of Classics TF'd in under an hour, whereas a shelf full of Movie toys is probably going to take me twice that long just to make sure all the panels and pieces are lined up. That Barricades legs are fully closed up, Bumblebees forearms are in 'just, the right, position', Ironhides crotch is in 'just, the right, position', inside the cab, and so on and so on.

Movie Longarm still kicks all kinds of ass however, as does Dropkick.

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    i agree the movie toys are awesome to look at but a pain to play with which is why for the time being im moving away from them to get some bots from other lines

9. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I usually only have trouble the first time I transform a movie toys. I think it comes not from the toy engineering but the character designs. Beacuse the toys go so far from normal human features it doesnt feel like there is a right way to do it. I still dont know, or really care if i'm transforming mixmasters arms, Arcees spine or sideseipes backpack the right way. Either way its just random kibble so whatever. I really love all the main line looks and I wish we could keep universe, animated, and movie lines going all at once.

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    20 minutes to get swipey back into car-mode? Try it 2 or 3 more times. You'll be able to get it in 40 seconds, guaranteed.

11. neevnav

neevnav The Flying Dutchman

News Credits:
    Yeah I think the only movie figure I have any issues with is Jetfire and that's cause I've done him the least amount of times. Other then that, they are all pretty quick and easy for me. I do mine every two weeks or so however.

12. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

the twins are pretty annoying to transform into alt mode. I've transformed them both a few times each and I've said a variety of swears getting those panels to fit. your not alone.