The Movie toys, and scaling.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Scraggin, May 16, 2007.

1. Scraggin

Scraggin Banned

I think I know why most TFs for the movie are in such odd scales.

What's interesting though, is that the movie line shouldn't cost us too much - most of the toys are deluxes and voyagers.

I'm guessing Classics sold very well, partly because of that. It was easy to own all the characters and it was very encouraging to do so. I remember someone mentioning on these forums that it was the thing they liked the most about it - you don't have to fork out a ridiculous amount to own the leaders.

The Leader Prime and Megatrons feel more like afterthoughts; just there because they need to have big figs of the Leaders.

It is a shame though, with this being the first realistic vehicle TF since G1, they didn't try to keep them roughly in scale.

What the scaling would have been(closest match):

Frenzy - LOC(about the closest you can get, heh)

Bumblebee - Deluxe
    Jazz - Deluxe
    Barricade - Deluxe
    Scorponok - (smallest) Deluxe

Ironhide - Voyager
    Ratchet - Voyager
    Bonecrusher - Largest Voyager(less known char = more size for your money)

Optimus Prime - Ultra
    Megatron - Oversized Ultra (Prime is bound to sell more than Megs anyway, so they need to throw people a bone with this one)

Brawl - Smaller Leader(packed with features instead).
    Blackout - Leader
    Starscream - Leader

"Ultra" should be renamed Leader and Leader renamed something that will make kids want to buy them.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I personally like them the way they are. I just wish they would of made a Leader sized Blackout, and I'm hoping that the rumor about the Leader class Starscream is true. That would make for a nice kitbash of Skywarp.

3. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    but then you're charging money for characters people aren't going to buy as many as of, as say optimus, and bumblebee.

Hasbro know what they're doing ;) 

4. Scraggin

Scraggin Banned

Yeah, FTW. Coolest Helicopter TF ever. With better plastic colours than the smaller one too. As cool an idea as Leader Brawl is, I'm not really interested. I'd buy a Leader Blackout, he's awesome.

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I personally love the Voyager, FAB, and Legends versions of him. I just wish they would of made a bigger version of him. He is my new favorite TF design. I also think the colors of the size classes of him that are coming out are perfect as is. A MP version of him would be cool, but very unlikely to happen, lol.

6. Scraggin

Scraggin Banned

Yeah, but at the same time, there isn't a Voyager or Leader Bumblebee.

If you marketed it right, and made less of them, it could work with the bigger figs. If you marketed it on the fact that they were all in scale with one another, it would be cool.

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I don't care for scale at all. I like the characters being available at different price points.

8. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

There isn't, because they skipped those puny sizes and went straight to the more unique Ultimate Bumblebee. Good luck finding a TF that matches him in scale!

9. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    If you wanted everything to scale(which I doubt will ever happen in a mainline tf line), Starscream would have to be much bigger than leader class. Seriously. Maybe if Prime and others were deluxes and Starscream was in leader pricepoint.

And I don't think Leader Prime is a waste, he looks to have an intricate transformation, great articulation, and good modes. He is unique enough to stand apart from the voyager and have a different aesthetic.

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I don't think that perfect scale is a big issue with Transformers... but it is nice when things feel sort of close to the right scale.

Like, for example... Blackout (VGR), Brawl (DLX) and Wreckage (DLX) actually all feel like they are roughly in scale with each other. The chunks of detailing, the colours, the size when next to each other... they look good together (all being on a military theme helps also).

Jazz and Bumblebee... not so much. The Bumblebee Camaro is really puny next to Jazz's phat Solstice. And then putting them next to the afore-mentioned decepticons...? They almost look like they should be from different lines.

As for Classics' success, I think it would have lbeen better if they kept Ultras in that line, and made the leader characters Ultras. I have almost no need for Leader class figures. They're just too big, especially compared to the rest of the lines. At the same time, Voyager just seems too small for Megatron and Optimus (and Jetfire too I guess). The fact that Voyager class figures just seem to be getting smaller all the time doesn't help.

zmog

11. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    The figure scale the movie toys have going right now I think is brilliant. It looks like you can choose to collect the normal way, size based on character, or more movie accurate and fit their scale. If you follow all the rumors it balances out.

Typical
    Deluxes: Jazz, Bumblebee, Brawl, Barricade, Bonecrusher
    Voyager: Ratchet, Ironhide, Starscream, Blackout
    Leader: Optimus Prime, Megatron

Movie
    Deluxes: Jazz, Bumblebee, Barricade, Bonecrusher
    Voyager: Ratchet, Ironhide, Optimus, Blackout, Megatron
    Leader: Brawl, Starscream

A voyager class Bonecrusher might be more appropriate though. Still, it's a nice way of doing things, and it gives them a chance to mix things up, like leader Prime seems to mimic the movie transformation, but voyager Prime is devoted to making the robot mode movie-accurate. It's an interesting concept to let you pick your own size scale whichever way you want.

...I'll still probably get the extra versions, myself.

12. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i made a "wishlist" some time back. just found it in one of my old posts

hehe

this is going by bot mode
    i listed previous toys that fit the size just to give an idea of what i'm thinking [and whats possible in terms of production]

Frenzy- Mini-con sized

Scorponok - Deluxe sized. but able to transform compactly to fit inside blackout
    Jazz - Cyb Unicron sized
    Barricade/Bumblebee - Cyb Hot Shot/Classics Mirage sized [larger deluxe]

Ratchet/Ironhide - Cyb. Def. Scattorshot sized?

Brawl/Bonecrusher - Vector Prime sized [if not slightly taller]

Prime - Cyb Prime [combined with trailer parts]
    Starscream - Cyb Megs [cuz Cyb megs is slightly taller than prime]
    Blackout - Armada Tidal Wave sized
    Megs - roughly Cyb. Metroplex sized [perhaps slightly shorter]