The Movie Optimus Prime Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Opticris Prime, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Opticris Prime

Opticris Prime Well-Known Member

This thread is for people who believe the movie iteration of Optimus is the best incarnation people sound off on the Prime that I believe stands all others even G1!!!!!

2. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    I loved how he was in this movie. A much darker side to OP than we've seen in the past 2 movies. His yelling at the humans after going to Chernobyl, his "tough love" scheme with getting Chicago destroyed, and general psychotic tone through the movie really made the character. A much better, unhinged Optimus than we've seen before.

3. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Reborn Comics Fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like Movie Optimus but he isn't the best incarnation of the character. That honour in my personal opinion, goes to G1 Optimus.

4. Opticris Prime

Opticris Prime Well-Known Member

The guy is one bad motha (shut yo mouth) Im just talking about Prime!

5. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

Always and forever.

6. kanine

kanine Active Member

Not the best incarnation of Prime, but I love movie Prime.

7. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Go Dennis Erb Jr. #28!!!

News Credits:
    Movie Prime is great. He's most definitely the most badass Optimus ever

8. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I love the Movie Optimus, he has his compassionate side, his pissed off side, and his psychotic side.

I still love him hanging upside down and yelling out "Wreckers!" when he sees Leadfoot, Roadbuster, and Topspin below him.

A lot of people are hating the new Optimus, but he's tired of the war and he wants to end it no matter the cost. In DOTM, he was just trying to protect what was left of his Autobots and the humans.

9. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This guy was a BAMF in DOTM. I mean, one-armed, and still taking heads. That's the equivalent of Chuck Norris losing a leg and still killing someone with a roundhouse kick. He was just awesome.

10. liquid6

liquid6 Well-Known Member

HAHA

11. AnithaPrime

AnithaPrime TURDUKEN

after seeing the movie, I am completely in love with movie Optimus, he is such a bad-ass mofo!!!

12. thygriever

thygriever Optimus Prime

News Credits:
    ^ This.

Anyhow, this has gotta be my favorite thread. Originally when the movies came out I was thinking meh.. he's alright. But now I've really grown to like him because he can be compassionate but also kick ass when he needs to. A big plus is his newest redesign and all those really really REALLY awesome weapons he has. I don't think he can have enough!

I do think G1 has a slight edge because he's the original and I imagine that's how Prime is "supposed to be." :) 

13. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime will always be a badass with a heroic side to him. Next to TFP, this incarnation is the best one there is. I'd say long live Optimus Prime!

14. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

I believe that this version of Optimus is the best there is, bar none.

He has the compassion for the innocent and love of his fellow man that all Optimuses share, but unlike every other Optimus, he isn't hampered to the point of idiocy by misplaced mercy for merciless brutes. He understands that he who pities the brute is a brute to those who are in need of pity. More succinctly, he gets that mercy to the victimizer is cruelty to the victim.

Despite what some fans accuse, he isn't shortsighted at all: they say that Sentinel and Optimus are looking at the bigger picture of restoring Cybertron, but Optimus is looking at the biggest picture: the wellbeing of every innocent being across the galaxy, who would be butchered and enslaved if Megatron and Sentinel succeeded. For Optimus, this is bigger than the Transformers: he considers every innocent person to be his people, regardless of what planet they were born on.

He's also a supreme killing machine: replace the Optimus of just about any series with this Optimus, and the Con forces would run screaming for the hills. The fact that the Movie Decepticons have stalemated the Autobots with someone like Optimus in charge says a lot about them. If Optimus were to seek conquest like Megatron did, then he would be a greater conqueror than any being in his galaxy's history, yet all of this personal power is channeled towards protecting the innocent instead of tyrannizing them. It's one thing to advocate the protection of the weak because you are one of them; it is something else entirely to be one of the strong and still try to protect the weak.

When I look at an Optimus and judge him, I use Bayverse Optimus as the standard I measure them against. That, coming from someone who has followed Transformers since the G2 reruns of G1, watching every TV series through to TFP today, says a lot.

15. Epsilon

Epsilon Autobot Archivist

For the most part, I agree with you good sir.

I must admit coming out of DOTM last night, my brain struggling to reboot because of all of the epic IMAX 3D graphics, I was concerned that the quiet nobility, the compassion, honor and diginity that I have always looked for/ associated with any version of Optimus had been lost, sacrificed perhaps to the glory of special effects and eye appealing battles with carefully choreographed violence.

My fear was that something essential had been stripped from Bayverse Optimus, I was having trouble reconciling this image, this notion of Prime as the very near embodiment of such sentiments with the fact that Bayverse Prime was spouting lines like "We will kill them all!", "You die now!" While I still could have done without those lines, I have to give you credit, you make some valid points that have made me reconsider.

Is it showy and flashy violence? Of course. Is there some violence merely for the sake of violence? Sure. It is after all a summer blockbuster movie ment to be entertaining. But DOTM Optimus is struggling to not only act in the best interest of humanity, of the Autobots, of all Cybertronians, but to also remain true to his own ideals, without entirely foresaking his morality in the middle of a war where death and violence is not only justified but necessary. Not only that he is trying to lead his troops (and humanity) to victory, because here such a victory means survival. More importantly survival against an enemy bereft of such morality and compassion.

Is movieverse the best version of Optimus Prime? For me, no. But he is a damn fine one.

16. avc-prime

avc-prime Well-Known Member

did we really see ultimate prime or just a retooled jet fire prime? I couldn't tell the difference.

17. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I love the movieverse Prime. The "silent treatment" scene was priceless.

18. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

Epsilon: Thank you very much. That kind of dissonance between Optimus's noble side and his furious side is something that I think would be interesting to explore and justify. A writer in a future series could build his entire character around that and explain, through Optimus's past and experiences, how the two sides could not only coexist in him, but feed into each other.

VaderPrime1: I hope so: I'm going to see it on Friday, to avoid the crowds.

19. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Posted this a while ago, but I think it still rings true.

To put it quite simply, the reaction to Prime's actions in the movie is merely based upon opinion- something that I feel we can all agree upon. Those who have wished the Autobots to be an actual military faction fighting against the Decepticons will see Prime's actions as a step in the right direction- he is a war hero and leader who has seen his fair share of tyranny and destruction in his time as a leader and has therefore been desensitized to the effect of war, destroying Decepticons because they are monsters who started a conflict which they hoped to end by becoming the most powerful faction among the Cybertronian race but ended up instead becoming a power hungry group that ended up killing those who they believed they were superiors to and causing the Allspark to leave the planet. The Decepticons are their own undoing- a race so consumed by a lust for power that they would rather slay all of those who believed their ideals and actions to be unjust then attempt to solve this issue diplomatically and inevitably becoming villains in doing so. If they have taken this path, they now find no remorse in killing not only other Cybertronians but also humans in order to enforce their goal- and, in the case of post-2007 Decepticons, to remind Autobots and humans of their purpose, that they have ceased to be a worthy opponent and are instead viewed as treacherous, irredeemable monsters with a fervor for killing. Perhaps the Movie Optimus Prime understands this and is willing to destroy any Cybertronian who is willing to affiliate themselves with such a faction- those who align themselves are beyond redemption and, though they may attempt to run from the forces of the Autobots, are perfectly content with taking human and Autobot lives along the way- case in point, Bonecrusher (in his actions against humans by destroying a bus) and Demolisher (his actions being destroying helicopters, NEST members, and civilians).

However, those who see Prime's actions as irredeemable base their opinion upon the character that has been established throughout the 25 years of Transformers- one who would rather reach out and attempt to touch the soul of a Decepticon and show him the error of his ways, or to try to stress the importance of basic morals and ideas, or only cut loose when he has no other choice or has witnessed the treachery and disturbed nature of the Decepticons firsthand. From G1 to Animated, we have seen a Prime who had been self-sacrificing and a true leader- one who reflects upon his actions that have yet to be performed or have already been performed and decides whether or not they are just. He has killed only because he believes that the Decepticon who is his target is beyond redemption- Megatron in the 86 Movie, Megatron in Armada, Cybertron, etc. But otherwise, he has been a fair and just leader.

But why is Prime from the 2006-2009 movies considered to be one or the other? He obviously has a line that he draws between those who are good and those who are evil. Prime from the 86 movie attacks and kills Decepticons because they are in the way of his true goal- Megatron. Prime from the 2007 movie kills Bonecrusher because he is attempting to get in the way of Prime's true goal- protecting the Allspark. Prime from the 86 movie and Prime from RiD, Armada, and Cybertron attempt to destroy Megatron because he is a force of evil- ever-corrupting, ever challenging, and ever-present- it seems that the destruction of Megatron is the only choice of ever stopping the evil that plagues the galaxy. Prime from the 86 movie mocks his opponent by saying "You who are without mercy now begs for it?" which is no more of an insult than "They were your brothers too!" and "You picked the wrong planet!" are. "Give me your face" is again, a subjective comment, as fans may believe it to be a statement of mockery, a statement of "I'm trying to be a badass right now", or even "I'm being a ruthless S.O.B.". Those who support the movie violent Prime may justify it as a "Your face is the symbol of the Decepticons, so let me take it to dishonor their cause", but those who reject Prime's actions and motives may see it as "I'm going to rip your face off so let me say this line to accentuate it". But essentially, every line, even the lines from 86 Prime and 07-09 Prime are to support the badassery of the current Prime, not matter how insulting, revolting, or untrue to the character they may be.

Prime's actions are, again, interpreted based on opinion. Killing the Fallen in such a brutal manner, as well as Scavenger and Bonecrusher, is based upon the tolerance one has to violence as well as the image one has of Optimus Prime. Those who argue "Prime would never do that" are again drawing upon the established morals of Prime. Those who support his actions are either fans of the established morals who find Prime to be a character too often thrown around and taken advantage of, or simply want their Autobot leader to be more of a badass. Let's face it, in war, you have to be wise and experienced in fighting the enemy in order to be a successful leader. The war, however, varies upon cartoon or movie. As said before, the war the Autobots are fighting is real in the movieverse, often frighteningly so, as Autobots resort to flashy and violent ways of disposing their age-old enemies. This is based upon the brutality and rage of the Decepticons, which the Autobots may have to equal in order to overcome their enemies. In Animated, the Autobots have to use clever ideas in order to outsmart and defeat their Decepticon foes, as the Decepticons are clearly more powerful than them. However, in the movies, the Autobots are equal to the Decepticons in design and aggressiveness, and therefore have to match the aggressiveness of the Decepticons in order to defeat them- in Animated, G1, RiD, Cybertron, etc. matching the Decepticons means overpowering/outsmarting them, not killing them, as these cartoons are directed toward children and emphasize nonkilling results- in the movieverse, killing Decepticons is accepted and considered a foil to their plans because it is a bit more realistic. The nature of the Autobot/Decepticon war has varied between the Decepticons having the upper hand, to vice versa, to the Decepticons being a revolutionary faction, to even being a rogue group of warriors attempting to change the past- the face and tactics of the Autotbots must change every time a new Decepticons approach reveals itself.

Let's not forget that the movies are made in order to entice and enthrall viewers- Sideswipe exclaiming "Damn, I'm good" is an example of comic relief as well as an expression of a rookie Autobot trying to justify his ability to kill and the flashiness he has executed the kill with. Viewers of the movie do not necessarily have to be fans of the Transformers franchise in other to view it, that is why Autobots are often portrayed with less depth and justification of their actions as they are in comics and extended fiction. The movies are not only a fanservice, though we can certainly appreciate bickering between Starscream and Megatron and various other homages, etc. these movies are not meant to appeal to only us- they are also focused upon bringing in the audiences and making them enjoy the crazy robot-on-robot action. Though moviegoers may recognize Optimus Prime and Megatron, they may not be as in-touch with the characters' morals as diehard fans are. We may be asking for the perfect Transformers movie, but casual moviegoers are simply asking for basics- a well-created action movie that presents an interesting plot, an obvious hero and villain, and the other essentials for what makes a good action movie. the record-breaking gross that Revenge of the Fallen achieved is not caused by those who are fans of the the franchise and enjoyed the movie alone- is is caused by the appeal of casual moviegoers. There is already a majority of fans who dislike the move- there must be another group of non-fans who enjoy the movie even so.

In RoTF, Optimus is the obvious hero, and his slaying of the ultimate evil, the Fallen, is more or less justified by the audience's concept of what is right and what is wrong- in other words, the Fallen's death is okay in the casual and fan's eyes because both the audience and the casual viewer understands that the Fallen is evil, even though the fan understands this on a higher level because they have more of a connection to the fiction of Transformers and understand that the Fallen is a villain they have encountered before.

Long story short, we must be reminded constantly that the Transformers Movie Franchise is not meant to be our holy grail of Transformers mythos, it is meant to bring in money. When the script is written, it may feature homages for us, but the reason the movie never ends up being a direct recreation of G1, RiD, Armada, etc is because it must appeal to a larger audience, not only us. We argue, bitch, complain, and support because of our opinions on the franchise, but we are not the only ones in the world. Our opinions may affect the production of action figures, but they do not dictate the opinion of the masses, nor will they ever. So while we bicker and debate the nature of Optimus Prime, there is another faction of causal moviegoers who are concerned with whether or not an action movie has enough action to satisfy their needs, or whether or not a movie has the right amount of classic homages and modern advancements in screenwriting and visual effects in other to enthrall and captivate them.

Optimus Prime in the movies is a near-perfect mix of the action hero he needs to be for a Michael Bay movie and a homage to the character we all know and love. Dark of the Moon has only solidified my belief of this.

20. sideswipe89

sideswipe89 Beachcomber

News Credits:
    Like honorbound, I grew up with the G2 reruns. I have to say G1 Optimus will always be my favorite. But I do like this Optimus aswell. I'd have to say he is my second favorite prime. Its an incarnation of prime that just doesn't deal with the crap. I still feel like he's the good guy. He's compassionate and respectful towards the good and innocent. I really like that short scene with him and buzz aldrin when he says "the honor is all mine", That reminded me of the optimus I know and love. I also really love all his hero moments in the film.

I've accepted that this prime just punishes the wicked. The decepticons in the movieverse aren't the firendly guys from the cartoon. In the bayverse, good and evil is pretty much black and white. The decepticons are pretty much blood thirsty monsters. I can see why prime has to deal with them in such a manner. His executions bother me a bit, but at the same time, he's destorying robots that are responsible for countless human and autobot deaths. I would have done him a little different, but I still enjoy this Optimus.