The Movie Gimics ; Automorph, Mech Alive & Mech Tech.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by RedAlert Rescue, Jul 24, 2011.

1. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I was thinking which one of the thee Movie line gimics ; Automorph, Mech Alive & Mech Tech did you think the most or least of - which added to the experience and which detracted from it.

I remember being impressed by Concept Camero Bumblebee's Automorph in his legs and chest but also frustrated by the same gearing when used on Voyager Blackout.

Mech Alive was something I never really felt defined itself in any meaningful way it just stuck some gears in thing that you'd likely hardly notice where there. though the ideas were not always bad and perhaps they even have some worth for the future still - the concept was not a one that had a coherence to it that Automorph more often seemingly does.

Attaching the arms in a way that left a bar visible through a gap in the arm to provide an illusion of movement is not a bad idea - it was just that they seemed to underplay it on some toys it's almost invisible like in Sideway's upper arms.

Surprising me the most is Mechtech it's a concept I thought i'd dislike when I first saw it and I still wish the Deluxe weapons would lock like the Voyager ones do - but I find I get so much use out of the guns and that as they are 5mm bars they can be lent to classics toys and Energon toys and all sorts of others and work just great.

So something as simple as interchangeable parts to me works much better than a line overarching concept that might not always work so well.

I hope Hasbro keep the C-clip, 5mm and 3mm systems going into the future to maintain that functionality for years to come as it's an aspect I very much enjoy.

As does Classics Bumblebee no doubt with all the guns he can now borrow.

2. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Mech Tech offered playability, so that was pretty coo'. Automorph is neat, when done right, and as long as it doesn't break or something. My Movie 1 Cliffjumper's gears're all screwed up so it's a bit difficult to convert 'em. Mech Alive was just useless.

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Never really thought much of Automorph and Mech Alive. But Mech Tech... eh, it's okay, though I'm having a hard time with some of the Mech Tech weapons in getting them to stay as a weapon. Especially Voyager Megatron's cannon... can't get that to stay as a cannon without it reverting right back into the tanker thing that's part of his vehicle mode.

4. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Automorph is cool, as it's stayed with TFs since it started. Mech Alive was great, as it added depth to the figures. IMO, Mech Tech blows.

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Automorph was, to me anyway, an attempt to replicate the more intricate transformations of the on-screen movie bots. While cool to see in motion, sometimes it didn't always work out (I.E. the stories of Voyager Blackout's gears locking up because something skipped a gear tooth and the whole thing needed to be dissasembled to fix it) and it's really kind of been around for years in much simpler forms (I.E. Armada Starscream, his head pops up when the hips are swung into place because it triggers a hidden button).

Mech Alive was okay, having moving parts activate when moving something else was a neat idea to give a sense of "life" into the toys, although the extent of the effect depended on the toy (I.E. Movie Sideways has spinning elbows, not that great a detail when it's that small, and Wheelie's mechtech kind of sucks because it's not complicated at all due to simply swinging a little lever to change his faction symbol). I will admit that Long Haul has a totally awesome Mech Alive gimmick with his working arm pistons, though, you can NOT fault that. It even works into the alt. mode as the pistons for the truck bed.

Mech Tech is actually a good thing. Yes, the large, unhidden weapons don't do all that much, especially the ones with the Deluxes that don't lock into place, but by moving that gimmick out of the actual figure, it allows for the figure to actually be improved without the need for any complicated internal gimmick, instead only needing 5 mm holes so it can connect Mech Tech weapons like Energon figures. They're like external Cyberkey weapon gimmicks...without the annoying Cyberkeys. If you really need to give a weapon to a figure, Mechtech isn't too bad an option. In fact, if I ever find Laserbeak, I'll probably snag him up simply to give his guns to other gun-less figures like Classics 'Bee or even Universe 2.0 Inferno.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Mech Tech I find is not that bad, and has the advantage of moving the gimmick OFF the toy. Plus as you said, you can give the Mech Tech guns to classics figures to arm them.

7. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    To lock Megatron gun just pull the ladder outwards when it's in extended mode.

8. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was very impressed with Automorph when I got voyager Ironhide, but generally they made me nervous about transforming the toys as I was afraid of breaking the gears. Thanks to TFTM toys I got in the habit of looking at instruction sheets more often. Mech Alive, tbh I didn't take much notice of. Mechtech weapons are neat with their compatibility, shame many of them look so plain in colours. If I have to pick one for another series' gimmick, I'd go for Mechtech.

9. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Once you take the springs out of deluxes,Mech Tech is awesome

10. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Automorph was cool as long as it didn't ruin the figure or break easily. Mech alive I didn't mind either. I'm disappointed that Deluxe Mechtech weapons can't lock; otherwise they're decent. I don't care for the oversized stupid ones though.

11. JazzBot95

JazzBot95 Well-Known Member

Automorph was neat! Though yeah it didn't really work on some toys.

Mechalive was kinda..unnoticable for the most part but at the same time it didn't really intrude too much easier.

IMO Mechtech, outside if downsizing the figures, is the best movie gimmick, as others have said, it removes the gimmick from the toy so the toy doesn't need to be slaved to the gimmick save a few 5MM posts. Plus having more weapons for your transformers is always a good thing! Honestly I'd buy whole packs of Mechtech weapons just to have armaments for my Autobots and Decepticons.

12. JackHammer

JackHammer Me, no, I would never

Automorph was great
    mechalive was a kind of
    mechtech would have been the best if figures weren't shrunk

13. JackHammer

JackHammer Me, no, I would never

Automorph was great
    mechalive was a kind of
    mechtech would have been the best if figures weren't shrunk