The movie for a non-TF fan.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Hydrobot, Apr 18, 2009.

1. spreckenstein

spreckenstein Well-Known Member

My GF didn't think much for transformers (and my toy habit) until I showed her the movie! She since declared her undying love for both megatron and barricade and bought me a bunch of movie posters, a decepticon wallet and a neon decepticon logo light! She loves it. When I got masterpiece starscream recently, she demanded it go on display in our bedroom rather than where I have all my other figures. I'd say that goes to show the movie can really change people's minds. Hearing Peter Cullen's voice for the first time at the start of the movie may send shivers down the spine of the existing TransFan, but seeing Blackout annihilate that base seems to do it for most people :) 

2. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Well, I haven't talked with anyone that didn't like it (not counting these forums of course), and I'd guess that many of them aren't TF fans to begin with.

3. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    In my family circle...well both of my brother kinda dig tfs since i can remember. One of them thinks he is a G1 purist despite th fact not being a fan, you know, he is always "Prime is a flat red truck, he has no flames", "MEgatron shouldnt be a space jet but a gun", "why Devastator isnt green anymore? he should be green or its junk" and that stuff, i say he is the bad side of a g1 purist, i'm aware not all are like that.
    My mom likes Tfs too, she watches it because of Prime XD.
    Outside my family...Hm...well, some of my friends did actually enjoy the movie and they arent fans at all, they barely remember the toon and the ones who remembers it think it was crappy. :p 
    So...i have to say that most of the non tf fans people i know enjoy the movie.

4. PredaconX

PredaconX Decepticon Combiner

Hey Brave im what you would call a G1 purist, thats all i collect basically and its my fav series by far. But being that its a live action movie and i know some things are gonna change i have no problem excepting new ways of doing the original characters. Im sure there are still some out there that want specific TF's to look a certain way but not all of us. Ya never know maybe your brother will change his mind once he watches ROTF.

5. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    all four sisters loved it when they saw it on dvd, as did a lot of friends who had previously never been into transformers at all.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I wonder if how we feel about the film ourselves doesn't color what we hear from other people. People that love the film only seem to have found people that also love the movie, people that hated the film seem to only find the people who also hated the film, and the people who were sort of mixed seem to find more of a range of opinions.

I'm also not sure of the social rules in other areas, but I know in the American south it's considered an insult to the person who let you borrow a film to talk poorly of the film they let you borrow. It's considered insulting their taste in films or something. So even if you let me borrow a Uwe Boll film I'd have to say something nice about it even though we all agree that Uwe Boll films are some of the worst crap ever filmed.

7. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    I know there are good G1 purists out there like you and i'm glad for it.
    I grew up with G1 too but i have no problems with the new looks. I like them actually. It wouldnt have too much sense to see a bunch of blocky robots in middle of...wherever the movie was shot ^^
    As for my brother, dont think so, he probably will go and watch the movie but hate the new changes.

8. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

So what your saying is,he's one of the good ones?

lol

9. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

I think you make some good points on the topic. Im probably considered a G1 purists but I really am not. I am not against change but I would like it to atleast feel like the same thing a little and not completely lose me and or maybe the characters would atleast act a little bit the same. (Bumblebee is a win in that department)

I think there can be discrepancy between just hating on it and hating it for a good reason. For me they sacrificed the recognizable features (not just physical) of the franchise for the wrong reasons. I would have been ok with them if these things actually were able to transform. Its the suspension of disbelief that got screwed up with the aesthetic picks by michael bay that need a cgi magic trick with slight of hand to transform.

They could have made a more recognizable version of any of these characters with out being all blocky it only takes a small amount of imagination to get it to that point. I just get tired of looking at these models cause most of them all have to be "BAD ASS" (super cyber ninja death machines) which is stupid.

Prime atleast looked like prime in the first ( mostly ) but he certainly didnt seem like him. Also now he is going to get his "BAD ASS" upgrade to get to cyber ninja level 2 for TF2 which in the spirit of good incarnations of prime goes against his strongest quality of being a singular force to recon with.

It just always comes down to how "BAD ASSS" can this be which to me is like making a TV (reality) show about your life and replacing you and your family with professional body builders that happen to be ninjas. While interesting maybe does not have any elements of what is dear to you.

Its just the movie is less about transformers and more about what Bay wants to see. Of all franchises for him to control this would have been the one I would wish the most against him having.

Its alot like how Bay pissed off all those vets with his version of Pearl Harbor. Its not like we are the first people to go "WTF is that" at his movies. I wonder if there was a Pearl Harbor message board with people talking about stuff like this. I can picture people claiming "your just WW2 purist, Get over it". lol

10. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

I remember seeing it with my best friend and my Dad on opening night. Obviously, it was like Woodstock for my friend and I, and throughout the entire movie we were exchanging quick glances and smiling and cheering for Prime being such a BA.

The most interesting thing was that my Dad walked out of the theatre and said, "Well, it was loud and had a lot of explosions... but it was a really well-made movie. I think they did a great job introducing the characters and making the atmosphere believable." He stands by that statement to this day. Bay FTW.

11. NoleScream

NoleScream The Anti-Troll

My fiancee wasn't a fan until she saw the movie. Now she asks ME if we can watch it on DVD.

Bonus: Words uttered by my fiancee "Oh the things I'd do to Megan Fox."

My life is not so bad. lol.

12. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Interesting reaction. Why cheering when the stated greatest threat of the film breaks free? Did S7 make themselves that unlikable in the course of the film?

So...you have made her dress up like Cheetara from the very first episode, right?

- Coeloptera