The movie for a non-TF fan.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Hydrobot, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Hydrobot

Hydrobot Super Ginrai!

So, I was watching the 1st movie on HBO today. My mother, who thought I was such a little kid for liking TFs in general so much, was bored and sat down with to watch it with me. It was amazing, she was crying when BB was taken down by sector 7, she was REALLY depressed when jazz died because he was the only one who cared for his friend. In the end, she fell in love with prime, his speeches, and his bravery.

For the sake of sharing stories, anyone have a similar experience? I think non-TF fans can enjoy the movie more because they have no set expectations for each individual TF. What do you guys think? :) 

2. Roook

Roook Well-Known Member

My friend's husband fell asleep during it. Then said he might like it more if he was 12. Idiot.

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

My friends and family rarely list their fandoms so it's tough to know which ones of them had a Transformers background.

The reaction to the film from them has ran the gambit. Some of them really love the movie and were happy with it, others sound even worse than me ripping on the film.

4. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My parents really enjoyed the movie wen I forced them to sit don and watch it. My dad actually tells all his friends how good a movie it is. When I first saw the film on opening night, the entire audience gave it a standing ovation, and I'm sure not all are die-hard fans. Everyone coming out kept saying "that was f-ing awesome." My friend, not a really big fan, told me it was "the best f-ing movie I've ever seen".

5. Hydrobot

Hydrobot Super Ginrai!

Lol, in my theater the fans were cheering when megatron was breaking free. And a collective gasp, including myself, when jazz was killed.

6. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Parents and cousins all liked the first one.

It also converted three of my friends into new fans, one of 'em recently ordered TFA Ultra Magnus and a MP Megatron from Ebay.

7. flamingunicron

flamingunicron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    all of my friends who have seen it said its amazing, and like my friends who haven't seen it just stare at them in disbelief

8. rikkuluverx2

rikkuluverx2 scout

News Credits:
    i shoulda worn a helmet the first time i watched it, because it "blew my mind" :D ...<---lame.

-rikkuluverx2

9. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My most uttered words, "Holy Shit!", during the movie came during Blackout's transformation, his proceeding to destroy the base, Scorponok jumping from the sand, Starscream summoning the Decepticons, Megatron's ultimate line (I AM.... MEGATRON!), and the Starscream sequence in the air.

10. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

I managed to drag my two brothers, my Dad and my mate Nathan to the first film, and they loved it (mainly for the giant robots bashing each other). As a result, my little bro Jabez loves to watch TFA with me. All of the above are looking forward to ROTF.

Then there was the Melbourne Arts Trip back in Year 10, where me, 4 guys, 13 girls and 3 teachers saw the first film at the IMAX. And we sat right in the centre. And it was all a surprise for me! Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

11. Schrecken

Schrecken Active Member

Well, I must admit that I'm a converted non-fan....the reason being that the original Transformers didn't come along until I was well into my teens. Basically I was born a bit too early to have become a fan of the original cartoons.

But I did join a sci-fi movie club a couple years ago and the movie was on their event list. Honestly I wasn't expecting much and wondering the whole time on the way to the theater if I was wasting my time and money. Also, the club members I went with WERE fans of the original, as they were all a few years younger than I am. They kept comparing the film to the original animated film and cartoons, and of course that really meant little to me.

I was seriously impressed by the film (no doubt due to the fact that I am a huge sci-fi fan, and coming from that perspective, the film can indeed stand on its own quite well with non-TF fans), and I eagerly await the upcoming sequel. I got the first film when it came out on DVD and showed it to my mom. She didn't go nuts over it like I did, but she did like it and said she wouldn't mind seeing the sequel.

But you also have to figure that, due to the money the film made, there had to be a lot of non-fans out there who went to see it, even if they were tagging along with fans.

12. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    My Dad's reaction:

"Not bad, though I would have liked to see how they actually transformed"

13. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my friend thought it looked like a stupid kids movie, and refused to see it. When she was on a flight to Europe, they had it as an option to watch so she did. She ended up watching twice, on the flight and is really excited to see the sequel. I just like rubbing in her face the fact that i have good movie taste. She still didn't listen to me about another movie till i made her watch it at my place and realized i was right again lol.

14. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Both my dad and my grandfather really enjoyed the movie. Even though after wards they really weren't sure who anyone was.

15. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    It was lucky for me. I managed to drag all but 3 of the boys from my class to see it. My Parents, Sis, and Sis' friend came too. None of them, out of 14 were fans, except me and another friend.
    So about 17 of us are in the Theater waiting for the film to start. And then William, the only other fan of the group, leant over and said "I cannot f-ing wait and longer!" So then he just becomes all figity in his seat for five mins.
    After Peter Cullen did the Intro, me and William cheered from our seats. A few people who obviously didnt know what the big fuss was, turned and looked at us. So then we just shut up.
    Later at Hoover Dam, once Megatron had broken free. Shaye, leant over to me and say's "You know, I only came here because it's your Birthday Party... and I though this movie was gonna be crap. BUT THIS IS BEST FUCKING MOVIE I'VE EVER SEEN!!!"
    During the movie their was a huge ammount of "ooooh"'s and "ahhhh"'s and "Holy Shit!" tossed around during the movie. People couldnt belive it was based on toys.
    At the end of the film, Andy comes over to me and says "I love Prime's voice!" Everyone loved it in the end.
    And I eventrualy got all of the guys to become TF fans this Year after two years.
    Are all of us going to Revenge of the Fallen? Yes.

16. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think most people I knew was cynical about the film. I mean for me, I was 'giant f*cking robots', hell yeah! Everyone else was like 'Isn't that like Power Rangers?' The only people I think were interested in were my physical education teacher, who grow with the cartoon as a kid, and my art teacher, who was impressed by the redesigns.

Needless to say, most of the people who were disinterested by the film were blown away.

17. neoxthexone

neoxthexone Member

My mam was the same didn't like the tv show, she watched the movie and she was like WOW

18. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    So far all the people I've watched it with that weren't fans liked the movie (although none of them were really blown away as far as I can tell)..a funny thing to me is, however, when I am walking around the house with a TF or talking about it to my brother, sometimes my dad walks by and says stuff like 'the cuuuube' or 'where is the allspark'..surprised me! :lol 

19. neoxthexone

neoxthexone Member

:lol 
    Sounds random

20. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

My Dad ended up renting it when I went to visit him, he almost switched it off during the "Sam's house scene". He was frustrated to the point of almost being infuriated that it was taking so long and going no where.
    I think The Rock was the only Bay film he's liked anyway.