The movie figures are getting too simple.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shizuka, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    This is based off of watching the Leader Ironhide review. Urgh, The figures are getting too simple. Too complicated and they are boring to transform but too simple and they're boring to transform.

When will they find a balance? In my opinion, a leader figure shouldn't be as complicated as a deluxe figure. What's the point in being that big then? Sometimes the complexity of the transformation adds to the fun. That being said, too complicated can drain the fun.

I guess I'm saying what's already known.

2. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    This balance between simple and complex varies according to the customer, so I don't think they'll ever "find" it. Some figures might have it for me while they don't for you.

3. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Generations is a good balance I think.

And toys can be too complex. There have been toys I haven't touched once I opened them because they were too complex to transform.

4. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    Like ROTF Optimus?

5. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I'm sure if they find a balance someone out there will still think it's too confusing. You can't please everyone all the time.

You want a good balance, watch a review for Sentinel Prime. IMO not too simple and not too complex.

6. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Umm

I jut got a loose RoTF Mixmaster from a lot without instructions.

You want hell? You want hard? Try figuring out how to turn him from Robot to Cement Truck mode without instructions.

Hardest Transformation I've ever done. It makes Leader Prime look easy.

7. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There simple because there being made for kids and ROTF had many figures too complicated for them. If kids cant figure them out then they wont find them that fun and not want more. So now there about as difficult as Movie 1 TFs. Kids will probably enjoy DOTM more.

8. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Nah, having gotten Mixmaster some days ago, I have to say that yes, he's fiddly, but I never got lost or thought I was forcing the toy's resistances like the first times I transformed Prime. Mixmaster's a really good toy and everything fits one way or another, it just takes a bit longer to transform than his comrades. I kinda glanced the instructions to get him to robot mode the first time, and managed to get him to truck mode without looking at anything, no problem. All it takes is care and following the correct order.

Still, it isn't a figure small kids would enjoy, so I understand the need for simplicity in newer figures. There's nothing wrong with simple if it's done right; many animated figures prove this, like Megatron.

9. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

Hey, as long as the alt mode and robot mode are good I am not big on the complexity.

If I had a leader that was as simple as a legends to transform and looked great had great articulation I wouldn't care if it wasn't complicated.

10. Barricade24

Barricade24 Decepticop Artist

News Credits:
    Why should it matter how difficult it is to transform as long as the figure itself looks good?

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I don't mind the simplicity.

But i grew up with the unicron trilogy so there you go. I personally dislike the ROTF toys for being more complex then they should have been.

12. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I do not buy the figures for a complex or simple transformation i only care about how good the figure looks in both modes. That said leader Ironhide is winning.

13. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    For some reason most leader figures seem to be the same complexity as a voyager just larger and with added lights and sound. I'd happily go without the lights and sound if it ment a slightly more impressive toy

14. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    It's all the way you look at it. A friend of mine was saying in the old days it was awesome because you can play with your transformers. Now a days it is like:

Prime is fighting megatron, megatron starts transforming into a gun to shoot prime.... 1 1/2 hours later, transformation complete, and prime gets shot. LOL.

Can't even play like that. I think some people like complex transformations, but no parent is sitting there for an hour to transform their kids transformer. Back to the store it goes.

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Exactly. I love RiD Sideburn just as much as Classics Bumblebee. Different ends of the complexity spectrum, but fun toys.

16. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

For me it's about how the figure looks, not the difficulty level. I'm okay with them being simple, as long as I like the design/overall look of the figure.

17. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Complex is fine and all, but I'd much rather have fun and creative transformations.

EDIT: And nothing is worse than overcomplexity hindering posability.

Mix is certainly a challenge (even after 'mastering' the transformation, it takes longer than the rest of the Constructicons, er, combined), but the Tailwhip/Arcee duo was utter chaos. Tailwhip has a thumb but nothing resembling a hand. In fact, I think the thumbs just get buried in panels, so they aren't even visible in either mode.

18. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    For the nth time: Complexity of the transformation does not have any direct correlation to a fun factor.

A figure can be complex, and fun. It can also be simple and fun.
    A figure can be simple, and crap. It can also be complex, and crap.

A "satisfying transformation" is what you are looking for, and what most TF fans are looking for deep inside.

A satisfying transformation have the following properties:

1. Intuitive
    2. Innovative
    3. Not determined by QC.

19. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Keep in mind that Hasbro does need to sell those large figures to parents and kids, and lights and sound offer a significant perceived value. While I disagree that the current leader class is THAT simple, I'd readily agree with it on the old Ultra class, which is why I'm not at all sad to see that pricepoint so readily abandoned by Hasbro.

Also, dig through the past few days of threads, and there was a thread about a pricecheck on Leader Prime. The poster indicated his kid SAID he wanted the Optimus "with the light up eyes". Had those eyes not lit up, it becomes debatable whether he would have wanted the Leader over the cheaper Voyager.

And to be fair, those of us who've been around with the brand for the last decade basically saw the same thing circa 2001. When Hasbro developed Armada, they specifically aimed at a simpler engineering compared to Robots in Disguise or Beast Machines, citing parental complaints over complexity.

Revenge of the Fallen, IMO, was among the most complex lines the brand has had in the last decade. We're probably seeing fallout from that in the Dark of the Moon toyline, which is apparently aiming for the "next round" of kids (a 6 year old in 2007 is pushing 10 now, and increasingly few kids around that age stick with toys).

I also say this to those complaining about the complexity...what about the stuff we've already gotten? Seriously, Hasbro is basically hitting a glass ceiling with many of the long running movie designs. After the RotF Leader and HftD Voyager, what can Hasbro do to "improve" their existing Optimus Prime efforts (aside from pushing into higher pricepoints with higher details that might not sell to younger kids).
    With Battle Blades Bumblebee, they've basically replicated the movie design as closely as they can within their costs, so where can they go?

Even the new designs for the third film, a majority of the toys do NOT appear significantly compromised by the Mech Tech gimmick (and those that are tend to be the same guys we already have half a dozen toys to begin with).

20. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This OMFG This. I could never get it back into vehicle form. Never did quite get it in robot form either. It's a junker for customs now.

Listen I keep hearing the same line "These are for kids" and I'll play along (even though adults are a big share of the market especially for star wars). When I was a kid there was no time to figure out the transformation. My friend would soon defeat me if I couldn't get away. So the implier the better as long as it doesn't impede the look in either form. Want a puzzle and complication? Seriously, 10 dollars they sell this thing called a rubix cube (still not as complicated as mixmaster).