The movie discussion thread (not just for the Transformers Movie)... Expect spoilers

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Alucard77, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    OK, so I figure I would start a movie discussion thread since I am a HUGE movie buff. I think in my life I have seen close to 3,000 movies. So it is interesting to hear people's takes on movies.

Couple of ground rules.

- While there will be spoilers, let's at least list the movie and mark spoilers if there are going to be major spoilers that you are giving. This should let the reader know that if they want to see the movie, maybe they should not read further.

- Let's keep it civil. While we may not agree on some movies, there is no reason to make it personal. Well, I guess you bring it on yourself if you post something like, "Titanic was so dumb, I cannot believe they made the ship sink".

So let's start the topic. I have one, I love the Matrix, but I gotta say, I think I like Dark City better then the Matrix. I was recently watching Dark City again and I amazed that like 75% of the stuff in Dark City is just stolen by the Matrix.

So Dark City vs. the Matrix. Game on.

Or feel free to post something else.

2. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Dark City. Saw it once and can't say I remember much about it. My friends hyped the film up so much and it didn't live up to it. Not a bad film but not one that made an impact on me. Then again this is when Kiefer was on his down swing so he really didn't shine.

Matirx was awesome and as a stand alone it should have been an instant classic. The other two films came out and killed the entire franchise. How is it that a guy that sees the 1s and 0s can be attacked my computer virus'? That is like me, a user, getting sick from a computer virus, it is impossible. The difference between the Matrix and the other two films is like night and day and I get irked when the Warshowski siblings (one had a sex change) claim the movie was always intended to be a trilogy. Who, with half a brain, actually believes that shit?? The differences are so much that I am tempted to believe that they did steal the original script from that black chick.

A personal favorite film of mine is Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind. I love how Gondry really utilizes on camera special effects. The man is a creative genious and when added to the brilliant writting skills of Kauffman you have an instant hit with me.

3. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I recommend watching Dark City again. It really has a lot to it. It does suck when something is over hyped, but definitely worth a second watch, especially since it has been so long since you last saw it.

As for Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind, I personally think that isnone of the most beautiful films ever made both from a cinematagraphic prospective but also as a pure win in terms of acting, directing and storytelling. People really do not realize the fact that the actors don't film a movie in a linear fashion. That means for that movie they have to bring in emotions of the scene. Which means that need to be cohgnicant of the fact that like half their memory was erased and what critical pieces are missing in the relationship at the point of filming. The movie was pure win.

Here is another one for you, I really liked Slum Dog Millionare when it was made the first time, it was called City of God. I love how all these people were giving Slum Dog all the credit in the world, when it was a complete theft of City of God.

It's the same people who thought Benjamin Button was so good. I am like, hey people, did you see Forest Gump? Do you not see the attempt of being Benjamin Button 2?

I didn't mind it as much in the new Star Wars movie, opps, I mean the new Star Trek movie.

4. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    City of God and Slum Dog Millionaire are two completely different films. CoG was appreciated because of the truth it captured about the slums of Brazil (?) I had the oppotunity to discuss the film with someone who grew up in those parts and he told me what you see in that film is what you get in reality.

I knew Slum Dog was going to win best picture and best director the moment I watched it. It was not a study of India and its people but rather a romance film that is set in India. The direction and story telling where through the rook on this one and I feel it deserved every award it received. My only beef is that the film was co directed with an Indian director but once award season rolled around everyone seemed to had forgotten that, including the Director who did not give one thank you to the Indian director that assisted him.

I agree with you on BB. WHen I was watching the film I was thinking the whole time, this is one weak assed version of Forrest Gump. I was not surprised when I discovered both stories were written by the same person.

I liked the new Star Trek. I really liked the big FU it gave to all the Trekkies. By this I mean when they got into the whole time/ reality split from this new series and the original series. Sorry Trekkies you can not pick this new series apart because it diverged paths as soon as Kirks dad died :p 

5. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Slum Dog, but to me the story was heavily influenced by City of God. I guess you cannot beat something that is based on the true story.

The question is who wins this year. I haven't seen too many films this year, so hearing what people think is interesting.

I enjoyed Money Ball, but I think it is mostly because I love baseball. I also saw Contagion. It was pretty good, but I think just like Traffic, it is more a study of the topic then a movie.

6. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    This year is a weak one. I have yet to see Money Ball ( sitting on my desk) or Ides of March (out on tuesday) or Drive (out in two weeks).

This is going to be one hell of a year to try and find 10 films for best picture lol. This was a very week year and I can say that the Descendants will be way over hyped. The movie was mediocre at best and I believe it was one of Clooney's weakest preformances ever.

7. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Some one was telling the debt was good. I think that was the name of the movie. Still want to see midnight in Paris and warrior.

8. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've watched Money Ball and Ides of March.....its ok. I'm not a huge baseball fan so I can't really comment on Money Ball too much. I mean...the trailers for it pretty much speak for the movie. Its about the Oakland A's and their amazing win streak they had one year. Ides of March is about dirty politics and stuff. Both of them....meh. I couldn't get into either to like em. I could tell ya what happens to this one chick on Ides of March, but.....I don't want to spoil it for you if you don't want me to :tongue: 

9. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I confused how this thread is different than the entire movies and television forum to which this thread was moved to

10. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Sorry I did not know the forum had a tv and movie section, my bad

11. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    Slumdog Millionaire was actually based on a book, called, Q&A, which came out in 2008, it's a fantastic book, when I found out that there was a film I was Ecstatic and went to see the film on opening day. I was not disappointed, like Transbot said, it definitely deserved Best Picture at the Oscars.
    Whether the book itself took influeneces for CoG, I have no idea, I have yet to see CoG
    Has anyone seen Monsters? That's a brilliant film, even more so that Gareth Edwards, who directed it, also wrote, shot and did the visual effects for it