The most important things in a TF's design

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MisterFanwank, Dec 14, 2011.

1. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    For me, I require a stable alt mode that will sit flat and won't shift under the pressure of normal handling. It must not be floppy. For this reason I do not require waist swivels, as those often result in an unstable chassis for the vehicle mode.

Transformations must be smooth and refrain from having parts crash into each other. The more motion, the better, unless it becomes a fiddly mess that is hard to handle. I enjoy clever uses and reuses of parts between modes.

The robot mode must have good legs. Legs define the posture of the figure and if they are not sufficiently poseable, if the feet do not provide good balance or if the legs are not pleasing to the eye, then the figure is a flop. In the same vein as posture, waist swivels are nice, but if the figure does not also have a waist tilt, then they do not add very much to the poseability. I typically find that a properly jointed set of legs can make up for the lack of a waist swivel.

While poseable arms are nice, poseable hands are better. Where the elbow is rarely matters for the quality of a pose, it's where the hand is and what it is doing. That is where the eye will be, that is what is important. Even arms with somewhat poor articulation can get the hand where it needs to go.

What about you guys? What are your requirements for a good figure? What things are most important to you?

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Ankle pivots and a head that turns.

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Articulation - All important joints must be present
    Proportion - Heroic proportions, nothing short of that
    Accessories - Good accessories that have multiple use and can be stored
    Transformation - a transformation design that is intuitive, creative, and fun.

4. Irish Carnage

Irish Carnage Instrument of Destruction

News Credits:
    making good use of space in the toy. a good example seems to be prime bulkhead. very little kibble in either mode.

5. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    A TF can have good articulation, plenty of details, great transformation, but if it doesn't
    have paint apps from head to toe, THEN IT'S THE WORST TOY EVER AND SHOULD BE DESTROYED AND MOCKED UNTIL THE END OF TIME!!!/sarcasm

6. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    o.o I was thinking about making this exact thread a while ago!

The most important part to me is usable articulation. I particularly value properly articulated feet and overall stability. Head articulation is nice to have, since there's no use in being able to do a lot of action poses if the figure will be staring at the floor. If it has "curling" arms, it better have rotating wrists to compensate (this is the only grand weakness i find in Leader Starscream)

If it ends up with kibble, at least it has to look good and not hinder the figure's movement.

Things that don't concern me too much are paint apps (as long as it isn't a sloppy mess) or lack of a waist swivel (which is something that kills a figure to other collectors). I don't care much for chrome or diecast (unless it's in a necessary part like in the MP Starscream mold)

7. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It must not be an Action Master.

8. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

This!
    What I look for is a great design in both modes. Generations figures must demonstrate respect for the original design and build on it. A shared name does not make it the same character .

9. 0MEGATR0N

0MEGATR0N Robot/Gladiator

the headsculpt has to be solid.

10. Fifam94

Fifam94 GO AIR FORCE

Final appearance. I wanna look at a figure and be ilke "what? That thing ACTUALLY transforms?" That's why I like Move-verse stuff, they look so complex and intricate.

11. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Good articulation, good joints, decent head and at least 1 weapon.

12. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk THIS PLEASES GAGA

News Credits:
    -Ball jointed head
    -Wrist swivels

13. JackHammer

JackHammer Me, no, I would never

Good looking mold with great articulation

14. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    transformation, i'm not too fussed about having a ton of articulation since i love g1, but if it's a newer figure, it has to have it

15. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good looking head.

If the head sculpt sucks I automatically hate the figure. Not even joking.

16. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    More of a set of guidelines (I've broken all of these at least once):
    - Can stand on it's own unassisted
    - Alt mode looks like an actual... whatever it is meant to be (no bot kibble)
    - Decent articulation
    - Every part has a purpose in both modes (nothing left out for one mode)
    - Transformation is neither too easy nor too difficult (obviously smaller figures can get away with simple transformations, but it still should be more advanced than "stand up")
    - Kibble is tasteful. I do like kibble on my TFs, but I don't like the alt mode being essentially whole and just worn on the back.
    - Show accuracy - depends. Sometimes show-inaccurate figures look just as cool if not more so than their on-screen counterparts, other times just the opposite.
    - In reasonable scale with other figures. Obviously this one's impossible to follow strictly, but since I usually make 'sets' with my figures I like them to not look totally out of whack size-wise.
    - Good color scheme
    - Good detailing
    - Good headsculpt (for whatever reasons, the head is just as important in terms of looks as the rest of the body and it's alt mode)

17. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Universe Galvatron.
    Universe Hot Shot.

Don't be them.

18. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    Fixed.

19. Leo Primus

Leo Primus Well-Known Member

Even though I tend to keep my figs in robot modes, I prefer TFs to actually transform and have convincing altmodes. Unlike that mess of a plane Prime SS turns into.

20. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    If a figure is unable to stand flat footed on both feet- which I call the Cybertron Lean (I may have stolen this from somewhere), it takes several points off in my eyes. That usually means ankle articulation, but it can be accomplished a few ways. I'm not saying I don't buy figures that can't stand flat-footed, but it's a real sore spot for me. Some of the Hercules bots have this problem and I'm trying really hard to be in denial about it.

Yes, this means I don't really love toys like Classics Voyager Prime/Nemesis/Magnus, Megs and Jetfire, or ROTF Onslaught/Energon Barricade. Drift/Blurr is a more recent example.

Also necks. Ball joints, please.

Waist swivels are nice, but I can live without them. I'm usually pretty forgiving about kibble and (lack of) paint.