The Most Heroic Leader

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lovecraft, Aug 31, 2016.

?

The most heroic leader in Transformers animation/film?

1. G1 Optimus Prime

38.6%
  2. G1 Ultra Magnus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. G1 Rodimus Prime

7.1%
  4. Beast Era Optimus Primal

37.1%
  5. RID01 Optimus Prime

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Unicron Trilogy Optimus Prime

4.3%
  7. Animated Optimus Prime

4.3%
  8. Bay Films Optimus Prime

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Prime/RID15 Optimus Prime

5.7%
  10. RB Heatwave

1.4%
  11. RID15 Bumblebee

1.4%
  1. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Indie Musician, Scumbag Jesus

Over the decades, which Autobot/Maximal leader was the most "heroic" based on what you believe to be a hero.

For me, it's gotta be Optimus Primal. He had no premonition of his battles on Earth and later Cybertron. He was thrust right into them through chance circumstances that were both unorthodox and unfair, but without hesitation and without complaint he rose to the call and he fought relentlessly and valiantly for the greater good because that's just what he had to do.

He saved the Autobots and Optimus Prime himself, and then saved the entire Cybertronian race at the cost of himself to ensure the will of the Matrix be upheld.

That's my piece, but I'm very interested in what others have to say about the most heroic leader in Transformers animation/film.

EDIT: Because of poll limitations, I had to exclude Japanese exclusive animation, sorry.

2. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    I agree with your choice of Optimus Primal. The amount that he did for the entire Cybertronian race (stabilizing time and space, carrying the Matrix of Leadership, reformatting Cybertron) is beyond any other leader, or character for that matter, in the entire franchise.

3. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    G1 Optimus Prime will always be the most heroic character in any piece of fiction for me. So he easily is my top pick for heroic leader.

He stands for all the right things in the world. Willing to sacrifice himself for the greater good as well as for humanity and fellow Bot. He knows the right decision to make and how to handle a situation, no matter how dire.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    How is this even a question? G1 Optimus was a combination of John Wayne and Abraham Lincoln, who never betrayed his ideals and sacrificed himself for others multiple times. He's not my favorite Autobot leader. He might not even be my second favorite. But he's easily the most heroic.

Optimus Primal is great, and is noteworthy for being a normal guy who stepped up in a time of crisis. But he's also a guy who became a religious fanatic and led his team down the wrong path for almost two entire seasons. That is a huge stain on his record.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Optimus Primal sacrificed himself to save not only Cybertron, but the sparks of every existent Cybertronian, and to destroy a god-like Megatron. That's pretty darned heroic if you ask me. There's also the whole stabilizing the timeline and ensuring the survival of the human race, of course.

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    These are all problems he created in the first place. I'm not heroic for cleaning an oil spill if I'm the one who ran the tanker aground to begin with.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure those are problems Megatron created. Primal had no intention of causing any of them. It's more like if you were the bridge operator and an oil tanker was heading towards the bridge. But since your job is to keep the bridge raised, obviously your first thought is that the tanker would stop rather than maintain its acceleration. But since the tanker driver is a maniac hell-bent at causing an oil spill, he drives the tanker over the side of the bridge and into the river. Obviously if you had any inclination that that was going to happen, you would hastily lower the bridge, and because you didn't, that part is on you. But you couldn't have known what was going to happen, so the blame naturally wouldn't have fallen on you, but on the person trying to cause an oil spill.

The oil spill isn't really that great of an analogy, actually, since Primal actually gave his own life to save the day, and therefore sacrificed more than anyone would in any scenario featuring an oil spill. Which is a lot more than a lot of the others on this list managed to accomplish.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Slingshot

Slingshot Farewell

News Credits:
    Beast Wars and (especially) Beast Machines Optimus Primal.

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Like that matters.

10. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I've gotta go with Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime. Saving the Autobots, Decepticons, and all of Cybertron from Unicron tops the list for me.

11. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

FTW!

12. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Optimus Primal.

He caught the Axalon from crashing down hard after Megatron's ruined his crew's chances of going home.

He willingly did a suicide mission to prevent the Vok from destroying the planet they were one, saving his crew, Megatron's crew, and all life on it.

He prevented time being altered two separate times. First time was ensuring the spark of Optimus Prime survived after BW Megatron nearly assassinated him. The second time was holding up Megatron long enough to prevent the Nemesis from opening firing upon the Ark itself.

He later gave his own life to ensure Cybertron had a free future and it's population liberated from Megatron and his Vehicon forces.

13. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    No Star Saber?! Im disappointed in you. Anyway, Star Saber.

14. Ruizu1990

Ruizu1990 I'm a girl, not a boy.

News Credits:
    a big, damp, foggy island nor-noreast of Ushant
    Ebay:
    Uh, G1 Optimus Prime I guess.

15. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

Personal bias wants me to vote for RID2015 Bumblebee, but I don't think he's had the opportunity to prove himself to the extent that the others have.

My vote goes to TF: Prime Optimus Prime. I feel the guy is underappreciated. He has doubts and concerns, but he hides them under a stern and serious demeanor to avoid worrying his soldiers. However, he never considers himself as above anyone. Prime actively reassures them and comforts them when they feel useless or upset, and even when they screw up, he's never harsh. In fact, he's pretty understanding.
    He never wants to kill Megatron or Skyquake, or really anyone. He only kills when he has no choice, or his enemy proves themselves beyond redemption. He makes very difficult decisions, such as destroying the Omega Lock only because Megatron has modified it to attack the Earth, and in the end, he sacrifices himself to restore life to Cybertron.
    Even after the Primes bring him into their realm, he still shows up to help guide Bumblebee, and even helps Team Bee capture their first Decepticon together. He calls out Micronus and the other Primes when he believes they are acting out of line or about to make a mistake. When he does come back for real, he manages to stop the destruction of both Earth and Cybertron, even if he isn't the one to finish off Megatronus.

And he did it all without succumbing to fanaticism and unleashing the Plasma Energy Chamber. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Star Saber.

I guess I'm using a different metric of determining heroism. It's easy to sacrifice yourself for some great cause, it's a lot harder to allow others to do it instead.

Since most of you have no idea what Victory is, let alone the story, in a nutshell:

Star Saber showed mercy to defeated enemies (and quite likely the only Decepticon subgroup who has thousands of confirmed human fatalities on their hands) who had attempted to fight to the death after finding that they had been betrayed by their leaders and left to die, even getting them medical care. After Star Saber dashed off to try to stop a Planet Destroying Fortress, the subgroup leader told the adopted human son of Star Saber (who's parents were among the fatalities the group had killed) what the weak point was in the Fortress. He got his unarmed Mech and convinced the Autobots to help him get into space.

While Victory Saber fought LioKaiser and then Deathsaurus, he let his son make the big play, moving into the Fortress (which attacks any Autobot trying to enter, but as a human in a mech, the defenses didn't bother with), in a tight fit and then realizing that he has no weapons, sets the self destruct on the mech and abandons it, realizing that he probably doesn't have enough time to get out before it goes off.

While Victory Saber disabled the Fortress from blowing up Earth, attacked and fought Deathsaurus to the bitter end, he was spurred forward knowing that Deathsaurus' was going to fail not because of him, not because of the Autobots, but because of the courage of a boy who was willing to sacrifice himself to save the planet and people (both bot and human) that he loved.

Star Saber showed mercy to the murderers of his adopted sons parents when he had every right to kill them and end their wicked ways. He knowingly and deliberately allowed the son he raised to sacrifice himself to save him, the Autobots, and the Earth because that's the choice his son had made and needed to see it through. (Now, as it so happens, his son didn't die, but he was prepared for it and expected it.)

That's a kind of heroism you don't often see in any fiction, let alone Transformers.

Second place is probably Heatwave, for, well, quite a few actions.

• Like Like x 1
  17. comicfan17blue

comicfan17blue Well-Known Member

G1 Optimus Prime

18. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime Space Ranger

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So acknowledging and fixing your mistakes makes you less of a hero?

As much as I understand the argument for G1 Optimus (that is, assuming we're talking about the animated version), I never felt he was human enough to work on a "heroic" level. As an inspiration he works, since he's essentially an icon of boldness and compassion. But on the other hand, he was never shown working out situations that rocked him to his core, or that he had to deal with in the longer run.

I feel like Optimus Primal was a stronger hero because not only did he have to endure being brought down to the lowest point on multiple occasions, but he also had to radically change his way of thinking in order to face the problems that he had to solve. Psychologically speaking, that's a huge change to make, but he did it because that's what was needed of him.

I suppose it doesn't help that, as someone said in another thread, Optimus Prime is essentially at the end of his character arc when G1 begins - he's already the freedom fighter leader and has probably already made the toughest decisions before the war on Earth begins.

• Like Like x 1
  19. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

I want to say Rodimus Prime based on the movie but in Season 3 he was pretty awful. I would also like to say Bayformer Prime but he abandoned the code of not hurting humans in Age of Extinction and is known to be... well an idiot sometimes.

I'm going to have to go with G1 Optimus Prime. Keep in mind, I still haven't seen a good few of these shows.

• Like Like x 1
  20. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    Beast Wars Optimus Primal.

Beast Machines Optimus Primal would have allowed all of the Maximals to die if it meant communing with the Oracle and finding "the truth" to save Cybertron. That's a different kind of hero from the Beast Wars Primal and one I feel is harder to get behind. But ignoring Beast Machines, Primal is tops.

However, had Ginrai been added to that list, I might have voted for him.

• Like Like x 1