The most difficult question for a Transformers collector to answer...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Jul 8, 2018.

1. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    And that's good it works for you, I just don't need anything in my hands to fiddle with. It is quite funny how ppl can't grasp the notion of ppl not wanting to transform their Transformers. It's almost like they're offended which is silly.

• Like Like x 1
  2. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime What's mine is mine, and what's yours is mine too!

Yup, not a hard question.
    If I couldn't transform them, there wouldn't be any point in having them.
    Transforming is what makes them unique, and what drew me to TFs 34 years ago. It's the puzzle aspect that keeps me coming back; transforming a new TF for the first time is like a natural high to me. I'm constantly pulling TFs off my shelf to fiddle with and transform. If I couldn't do that, I'd probably just stop collecting, since I might as well be collecting statues.

• Like Like x 1
  3. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

As much as I love the toys, it's the story, specifically the cartoon, that fosters my love of Transformers. When I think of the characters, I think of the robot modes. So it's robot mode for me. That's how I display them. I NEVER display them in alt mode.

4. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Its not a hard question for me: Robot mode.

The hard part would have been to keep them afterwards (which I would anyway because of sentimental reasons but still...)

The reason for the mode of choice is that I can pretty much find the altmode of choice if I want to display one and 'fix it' to resemble the TF in question. Except the pure fictional ones that is.

It would be a huge bummer though. I just love the 80s bots and cons Alt modes.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    NM

6. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    Robot mode. But I'd probably stop collecting then, too.

The hardest question for me is: When do you feel like your collection is finally complete and can stop?

• Like Like x 1
  7. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go so far as to say offended, but yeah I don't get the Point of collecting Transformers and not actually Transforming them. That's like buying a brand new game console, television, getting every game avalible for that console, and never actually playing a single game.

That's easy, when Hasbro stops making Transformers then I'll stop collecting them... or when I'm dead whichever comes first.

I'm not really a completionist to begin with. I'm pretty sure with as many Transformers as are out there even 20 years ago, that I'd never actually collect them all. Plus there's limitations with space and money that force me to be very picky about which figures I pick up and which ones I'm going to totally ignore... though considering I've hated a lot of the Transformers designs since 2007 they've made it a whole lot easier to narrow down my options to the small hand full I do like. Before that it was really difficult to pass on certain Transformers I really liked, for example Vector Prime, I actually really like his design but passed on it so many times because there were other figures who were higher on my priorities.

There are also a tone of Beast Era toys I wish I had gotten back in the day. Those are my favorite shows and I had no idea way back then that this far in the future they'd still be my favorites. If I knew then what I know now I probably would have a more Beast Era centric collection instead of deciding to collect all the different incarnations of Optimus and Megatron. Especially considering I now have figures I don't even like just because they slapped Megatron's name on them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

I find the notion of anyone been offended on the use and display ones collection to err on the mentally unstable side.
    That said, I transform them on occasion, but they stay on robot mode most of the time.

I have a couple of them that have yet not transformed but even so, I dont want to buy anything that cant do so. No judging at all, its all preference.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Is this the most difficult question? Seems pretty simple to me, especially if it's a case by case question. But even if it's one or the other, it's easily bot mode as that would be the case for almost all of them anyhow.

As it is, I don't transform my figures much, and a few of them not at all. For the most part, depending on the mode it comes, I'll transform it once to bot mode or once to alt mode, then back just to experience it. I used to enjoy transforming them, but I've grown pretty tired of it in the last few years.

Is buying Star Wars, He-Man, GI Joe, Marvel, Hot Toys, etc, etc, etc pointless then? I mean, I don't buy those things myself...but I wouldn't call it pointless. I used to buy some Star Wars stuff.

10. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

Well, they don't actually do anything to begin with. They pretty are just statues to be displayed on a shelf. I suppose the closest comparison there would be to buy them, and not pose them... though I'm horrible at posing a figure and getting it to stand up. Pretty much all my TFs when in bot mode are just standing straight as that's the only way I can get them to not fall over.

I don't collect other toys mainly because I suck at actually posing them. I'd like to set up displays recreating some of my favorite scenes from Star Wars, DC, or Marvel but I find every figure just immediately falls over if I put them in dynamic poses like that.

11. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I guess my point is TFs are no more pointless than any other action figure if you leave them permanently in bot mode. Sure, there's more play factor in a TF because they transform...but they're still pretty sweet looking action figures even if you don't transform them.

12. LongarmMagnus

LongarmMagnus Function: Emoticon Commander

is this a pic of you? i always thought you were actually Shia LaBeouf making awesome comments on tfw2005 lol.

... in my mind you still are.

• Like Like x 1
  13. vproject

vproject Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bot mode for most of my TF's. Only the Dinobots are in beast modes as that is my preferred mode for them.

14. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

It's not about not being ABLE to transform them, it's about not having a reason to.

I display everything in bot mode. Period. If it came packaged in bot mode, odds are it's never been transformed. I've seen too many horror stories of people transforming stuff in their collection that snapped from stress on the part, and it being a rather pricey toy to replace. I'm not going to be that guy. I'll write stories and draw comics of the toys all day long, but I have no need to sit and play with my collection. My daughter's TFs get transformed enough to scratch that itch.

15. gibdozer

gibdozer Well-Known Member

If that's enough for a person I can dig it, but I'm into transformers specifically because they transform. It is the aspect of them that mesmerized me as a child and continues to intrigue me today. I don't understand people who get multiple copies of a character to display in each mode. I'm not saying it's wrong to do that(so don't get excited) it just doesn't make sense to me. I've tried to get into non-transforming toys, while I can appreciate many things about a quality action figure they simply don't appeal to me on the same level as Transformers.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Makarov

Makarov Well-Known Member

If I had to have them all stuck in one mode I'd rather it be ALT mode. I like the way the vehicles look on the shelf rather than robot form.

17. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I don't think I could ever stop. If from this moment forward there were absolutely no new toys ever made that I want, there are still a ton of old Transformers, GI*JOE, Star Wars, Masters of the Universe, M.A.S.K., Thundercats, Silverhawks, Robotech, Super Powers, Marvel Secret Wars, etc. figures I don't have yet. Basically, if it's a toy from the 80's, I want it.

18. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    Wait! Does that mean you think I'm actually Evil from Time Bandits?

19. LongarmMagnus

LongarmMagnus Function: Emoticon Commander

When I read your comments he's the voice i hear, so yes. Definitely yes.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Liokaiser1989

Liokaiser1989 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Very difficult question.... Hmmm..., guess I will be living in the past then if this happens.